We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Houston, we have a problem!!!

The Compensator

I'm no expert, not even close, infact I'm an idiot. Where am I?

Umm, I would check the fan, make sure it's still spinning, not clogged by dust. How old is it? It may be replacement time, if you don't it could go bang (mine did earlier this year) and I'm guessing that could hurt other components. Luckily PSU's are fairly cheap and easy to replace!

http://i.imgur.com/pZBagjc.gif

Finally someone replied.

It's not dusty at all; nothing that could stop the fans. I'll take a detailed look at in the morning, there are some screws even so I'll try to disassemble it and hopefully I won't screw up more things.

It is 5 years old, I believe. Greenpower-something 550W.

My pleasure :cheeese:

Yeah, take a look, you might be able to figure out what's gone wrong with a "visual inspection" :lol: Mine was about 5 when it went kaboom, so I'd take a lookout for some PSUs in the sales :p

Dad needs it as soon as possible. :(

Guess a 500W one is not enough for the pc, is it? Gainward says my GPU needs 550W.

--- Post Updated ---

Found a Corsair CX500 - even though it is only a 500W PSU instead of the old 550W, the specs are the same or better. I've read that 12V rails are important as they power the CPU & GPU. CX500 has 38A on the 12V rails while the old Fortron PSU has 36A. It is cheaper, too.

Now that I have got my lovely laptop, the PC will not be used for gaming anymore. Just normal work & Internet stuff.

Dad needs it as soon as possible. :(

Guess a 500W one is not enough for the pc, is it? Gainward says my GPU needs 550W.

--- Post Updated ---

Found a Corsair CX500 - even though it is only a 500W PSU instead of the old 550W, the specs are the same or better. I've read that 12V rails are important as they power the CPU & GPU. CX500 has 38A on the 12V rails while the old Fortron PSU has 36A. It is cheaper, too.

Now that I have got my lovely laptop, the PC will not be used for gaming anymore. Just normal work & Internet stuff.

Have you tried this? Power Supply Calculator - The most accurate PC wattage calculator

The wattage of the PSU isn't as important as the quality is. The CX is generally regarded as quite crap here but should still be light years better than what was already in your system. If it's not a huge performance system then it shouldn't really matter.

For the same reason, PSU recommendations can and should be taken with a bucket full of salt. What are the actual specs of the PC?

Core 2 Quad 2.6 GHz

4 GB DDR2 RAM (or DDR3, I can't remember)

GTX 260 896MB

500GB HDD Samsung

17" monitor if that matters

I cancelled the order actually due to the fact my mom took the car and therefore I did not have anything to drive there (the shop, half an hour away, closes at 6PM). I'm going to the local town shop tomorrow morning to order something better then.

No no no no no. 500w is nowhere near enough. You need 2, yes TWO gigawatt PSUs. :rolleyes:

Nah, a 500w CX should be fine. For a standard workstation type desktop the CX series shouldn't be a problem. Would recommend a better series for a much beefier computer though.