We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Bye Bye Defender.

calster17

After a history spanning 68 years, tracing it's root's back to THE Land Rover. The Land Rover Defender has officially been pensioned off.

The Defender it's self is only 33 years old (technically 26, as was called just the 90 or 110 before that) but it's root's are firmly based back with the car that is now called the Series 1. That car, and the cars that followed have became the stuff of legend thanks to it's off road capabilities it gained a reputation as an go-anywhere car being used from farmers to explorers and of course the army.

[ATTACH]24819[/ATTACH]

Over time, the cars has become an icon and fashion accessory in the same way the Mercedes G-Wagon, with prices for modified ones of late being absolutely crazy! (And in most cases, pointless for off-road!). but don't worry, alot are still used for there primary purpose of going off road. Be it on the farm, forrest trails, mud pugging or rally raid events.

The final car, a 90 soft-top Heritage edition with the number plate 'H166 HUE" (tribute to the original 'HUE H166') completing a run of the REAL Land Rovers at a total of 2,016,933.

[ATTACH]24820[/ATTACH]

Good Bye old friend. You were more than just an icon in British Motoring and will be sorely missed!

:o

Thankfully the DC100 is remaining just a concept. But i'm not getting my hopes up for the replacement to be a proper Rough-N-Tough car like it was.

Personally, I think Harry Metcafe had a fantastic idea a few years back when he was still at Evo. In his little random article he would do he suggested just useing the old Discovery 4 as a base (boxy and Landy looking) but making it more agricultural, rubber floors, basic dash, easy to change light bubs, etc as well as making it available in a pick up.(Option for a 'chassis' cab would be great if possible)

If they did that, for the right price. I reckon it'd leave everyone happy!

Mandatory green with white roof of course. :lol:

There must be a lot of money in a car like that too. Something simple, rugged and dependable that they could make money on just from selling and not then rely on expensive aftersales repairs and servicing.

But we'll just have to wait and see what the JLR boardroom people come up with. £2 and 2 minutes for a replacement headlight bulb or £20 and an hour.