We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ford Mustang in Europe: Would you?

CarMadMike

• 1 year later...
The 2018 Ford Mustang GT will be the fastest-ever 0-60 m.p.h. — although Ford won’t say precisely how fast — thanks to a new 10-speed automatic transmission, electronic drag mode and upgraded 5.0-liter V8 engine.

The V8’s output rises to 460 horsepower and 420-pound-feet of torque, from 435 and 400 for the 2017 Mustang.

The new engine and transmission are among a number of updates Ford gave the Mustang to keep fresh this year. A new drag-strip mode manages the drivetrain electronically so torque doesn’t drop as the transmission runs quickly through its gears.

“You get peak torque straight through,” Mustang chief engineer Carl Widmann said.

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost turbo engine also gets quicker, hitting 60 m.p.h. in what Ford promises will be less than 5.0 seconds. The 2.3-liter adds torque and the 10-speed automatic — which has been available in the F-150 pickup since last fall — and 30 more pound feet of torque, to 350.

Ford has dropped the less-powerful 3.7-liter V6 that was previously the Mustang’s base engine.

The GT’s 0-60 time requires an asterisk: Being the fastest Mustang GT does not necessarily make the new model the fastest Mustang ever, just the fastest with the base V8. High-output V8s in Shelby models of the Mustang have included the 662-horsepower Shelby GT500 and the current 526-horsepower Shelby GT350.

636364984483179124-2018Mustang2.png

However, the claimed sub-4.0 second time should give the Mustang GT an edge over its arch rival, the V8 Chevrolet Camaro SS, which reports 4.0 seconds flat.

Drag mode is one of five performance programs the 2018 Mustang will offer. The new 10-speed transmission has quicker shifts and better low-speed response than the outgoing six-speed automatic.

Ford will reveal prices and fuel economy for the 2018 Mustang closer to when it goes on sale this fall.

2018 Ford Mustang adds power, reduces 0-60 m.p.h. time

How popular are these in the US (if they're sold there) @Ryzza5 ? Since they caved in and decided to go all out with the RHD model, they're getting increasinly popular over here. They offer a lot of value for money so i'm not surprised.

erm, I don't live in the USA. I've seen a few around. A lot of it also has to do with local production of hot Ford Falcon's and hsv ending

erm, I don't live in the USA. I've seen a few around. A lot of it also has to do with local production of hot Ford Falcon's and hsv ending

Yeah I knew that :( I meant to type AUS, got the 3 letters the wrong way around.

Has there been any backlash against the Falcon/HSV ending production? Are ford decreasing their domestic output in aus or are they just changing which models are produced there?

The first major car manufacturer to pull the plug on the UK post-brexit will receive a huge backlash imo, not sure it'd be deserved, but I can see a few boycotts taking place if a company makes thousands unemployed.

The larger sedans with big engines have long been popular, but they never built local smaller cars with efficient turbo engines, so they were always destined the way of the dinosaur I guess. Holden, got a bit more flack because they took a huge government payout and then called it quits not long after iirc. Toyota and Mitsubishi also had local manufacturing cease in recent years. Many 'normal' drivers leaving Holden/Ford probably have ended up in a Kia, Hyundai, or Toyota. There's not a huge amount of anger - the biggest disappointment will be from enthusiasts and from older chaps out of a job.