We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Sony closes Motorstorm and Driveclub developer Evolution Studios

CLR-GTR

Sad day for the maker of Motorstorm, Driveclub and more games, because Evolution Studios has been shut down by Sony.

Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.

No word yet it seems on how long the servers will stay online.

Source: Sony confirms closure of Evolution Studios | GamesIndustry.biz

Why on earth have they closed down Evo Studios? After how successful Driveclub has been and still is. Unless they want to try and boost sales for their GT: Sports game.

Hope it's not so they can fund another sodding dance dance disco club make your self look like a massive anus dance dance game that don't sell very well...

A real shame to see this happen, Evo are a very talented team and the way they pulled what was most certainly a dead duck and turned it around to what it became and the following and support they have provided is something many of us want to see other developers replicate. And it's not just this game either that is a testament to what I say: I still regard their WRC II Extreme on the PS2 as the best rally game I have ever played. I have very fond memories of that game and my Logitech DFP and would laugh and be amazed when your car would actually fall off a cliff or just barrel roll off the course. I have only briefly tried Motorstorm but again that was a fun series that they continued to evolve and throw new features at and despite some of it perhaps not working, the fact they even tried is shows just how creative and experimental they were with their projects.

Really hope they find themselves on their feet either within Sony or as a new team as it's clear they work well together and produce some incredible feats on the hardware they are developing for.

A real shame to see this happen, Evo are a very talented team and the way they pulled what was most certainly a dead duck and turned it around to what it became and the following and support they have provided is something many of us want to see other developers replicate. And it's not just this game either that is a testament to what I say: I still regard their WRC II Extreme on the PS2 as the best rally game I have ever played. I have very fond memories of that game and my Logitech DFP and would laugh and be amazed when your car would actually fall off a cliff or just barrel roll off the course. I have only briefly tried Motorstorm but again that was a fun series that they continued to evolve and throw new features at and despite some of it perhaps not working, the fact they even tried is shows just how creative and experimental they were with their projects.

Really hope they find themselves on their feet either within Sony or as a new team as it's clear they work well together and produce some incredible feats on the hardware they are developing for.

WRC2 was insane. Loved that game, hated it too. I was prone to falling off those cliffs more often than not :lol:

Hopefully the team will go on to do something awesome in the future, ala Eden and Ivory Tower.