We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Codemasters Welcome Evolution Studios To The Family

TurboDuck

[headline]Codemasters Welcome Evolution Studios To The Family[/headline]

DriveClub_Announce-Trailer_snapshot_1-800x300.jpg

Sony shuttering Evolution Studios (Evo) was seen as a move that didn't make much sense to many as the team produced one of the best looking racing games of this generation and brought it back from what looked like a near certain disaster. The Evo team however plodded on, having belief in their baby and in the end made it...

Read more on this...

I posted the link as the source of the article but be sure to read the GI.biz page for a lot more info about the respect and sheer 'it would be stupid not to' sort of thinking behind this.

Evolution Studios joins Codemasters, Hocking becomes VP of product | GamesIndustry.biz

On what they want Evo to do:

"We want the team to remain to remain the team that they are," Codemasters CEO Frank Sagnier told GamesIndustry.biz. "We want to benefit from everything that they've learned as a team together, we want them to create their own games. Of course there will be synergies, of course we will share stuff, but we would like to make sure they retain their identity and stay together as a team to do what they're good at. What we don't want to do is bring in a team of 50 people and start having some work on one game and some on another, on existing IP. The whole point is to keep their DNA and build a new game."

How they see one another:

"We've known each other for a while," he says. "It's always the same thing when you're in the same business, we talk regularly. Mick found out a couple of months ago that there was a decision from Sony to move forward, and at that point we thought 'that's a match made in heaven.'

"We're looking to scale our business, we're absolutely focused on racing, we want to only do AAA racing, which is exactly what these guys are about. We share DNA, passion, talent. So it was sort of lucky that Sony took that decision, and I'm very happy about it. We were Ferrari and Mercedes, now we're the same team.

How did Sony feel about it?

"Once we realised that the decision had been made to close the studio, that Sony didn't want to go forward with Evolution, there was an amazing opportunity for me and Frank to come together and do a deal. I think Sony were really happy that we get to go forward. Obviously, we're going to be making PS4 content, so they're happy about getting more great content for the PlayStation going forward. It works for everyone, it's a really good news story.

This is good news, It's good to see evolution studios getting another chance instead of packing their bags and calling it a day. Judging by what the codies are saying letting evolution studios make their own games is a massive benefit. I'm assuming they're going to be multi platform now which is an amazing thing if it does happen.

I can understand why Sony let them go but should they have? I don't think so. In saying that though, this is a really good thing as it means they can spread their worth throughout, instead of being chained to only one platform. Wonder how they will go about creating their engine as Sony owns that you would imagine. And as the interview says: Codies is buying the team, not the tech or IPs of the studio.

Not happy at all about this. I imagine a Driveclub 2, but with worse graphics, without cockpit/bonnet cam, without the beautiful imaginary open road courses and the DLC's taking your 30 pounds or euros to unlock a few livery sets earlier than through game completion.

Though really, I see no reason to cheer just yet. Their support in the GRID days was no better than Atari's, complete with promise of eventually never released DLC's. I only remember GRID 2 having reasonable DLC content (although I believe most were pre-orders turned DLC). Personally I would go as far as including the focus on stadium fireworks for Monster Fiesta's in the bad corner but since everybody seems to love it I'll just add a big fat IMO to this one. However what I also can't forget, is that what they're doing now is similar to what they did with Asobo Studios. Can't really say they were helped much by Codemasters' involvement...

Codemasters have went Back to Basics and are reaping the rewards due to it with DiRT Rally. The old 'only 5%' and such is past news and they are now wholly focused on the racing genre of games. They have a new outlook and are at this time sticking to it. Hey maybe even some of what Evo is praised for in regards to their support and post-content delivery will rub off on Codies. :p

Extremely happy. Codies did go pretty low with some of their games but Dirt Rally is a bloody great game and actually reminds me a bit of the old Evolution Studios' WRC games. I'm hoping that the way they're going is up and that Evolution will make great new games as well, they're pretty good at that. Both studios have something to teach each other and that should improve their products too.

I think Sony made a big mistake. On the other hand it's great news for the employees at Evolution and all Codies! I wish the both of them all the best and hopefully in the near future we'll see something great to arise out of this collaboration.

Couldn't agree more. What were Sony thinking?!

I'm so glad to see Codies snap them up, since they're both on fire right now! Can't wait to see what the new IP will be.. (toca meets driveclub?!)

...to spam them with TDU3 requests' date=' right?[/quote']

Good idea! Not that I am really sure that they have the expertise to develope a open world racer like that, but they sure do have the manpower. When they need to build a new game engine from scratch, then this would be the right time. ;-)

Codies would do that themselves though.

Didn't they already do that with "Autosport" or doesn't that one count? ;-)

Not that I am really sure that they have the expertise to develope a open world racer like that...

That expertise was only shortly with CM in the form of Asobo Studios and that studio was shut down after its first Codies-controlled title Fuel due to poor performance on many aspects.

This could potentially be an amazing turn of events. If Codies keep going down the path their currently on and Evo Studios keep doing what they're good at we could seem some awesome games.

Really looking forward to hearing about what they're going to be working on.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether it's gonna be Evolution Studios or not, more news showed up that Driveclub isn't actually dead. VG247 just reported that ESRB has rated Driveclub VR "E for Everyone". This follows the earlier post-to-the-fans by Evolution Studios that Driveclub will live on under Sony.

Well we knew DC VR was one of the main attractions that was being developed for PS VR so it's not that much of a surprise. And yeah DC is under another branch of Sony now and so will get support, but it's whether the team who now has it is on the same wavelength of not only talent, but also passion for the title to keep the good vibes and work that Evo delivered despite its terrible beginnings.

Anyway... work began yesterday on their new racing game:

[media=twitter]724489949567967232[/media]

[spoiler=Plain Text Copy"]Paul Rustchynsky‏ @Rushy33

Today I start my new job at Codemasters and get to work on a new racing IP! Excited to finally get started :) #MondaysCanBeGood

7:47 a.m. - 25 Apr 2016