We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza 6: Apex - Enters open beta stage on May 5th

CLR-GTR

forza_6_apex.jpg

[h=1]Forza 6: Apex beta kicks off next week[/h]Forza 6: Apex will go into open beta for Windows 10 PC on May 5, Turn 10 has announced. As the racer is free, you may as well go and declare this the release date.

The PC port boasts 63 cars, 20 tracks, six locations, night and we weather variants, full vehicle damage, support for resolution up to 4K powered by DirectX 12, a new career mode anchored by a 12-event “Showcase Tour”, new achievements for 1000 gamerscore, and PC exclusive systems like Race Points, which rewards you for improving your racing skills.

The beta will be updated throughout northern summer, with an emphasis on performance improvements. Updates will also add new features such as wheel support, the option of disabling Vsync and an in-app framerate counter.

This all sounds very good but there’s a paragraph in Turn 10’s announcement that worries us a bit. Take a look:

“Forza Motorsport 6: Apex utilizes the cloud-based Drivatars of your Xbox Live Friends and the Xbox One community, as well as asynchronous leaderboards for comparing your Race Points, but the game will not feature online multiplayer or the livery design editor.”

Wait, what? No online multiplayer? But the league-based multiplayer in the Xbox One version was one of the major selling points! On the other hand, Apex is free-to-play, and cracking down on cheating and hacking on PC is an expensive business, apparently.

As for the livery designer, here’s some small comfort: Turn 10 will release a stream of livery designs by Forza 6 players on Xbox One.

Forza 6: Apex was announced in March and is extremely pretty. Check system requirements below.

[h=2]Forza Motorsport 6: Apex System Requirements[/h]

• Minimum:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 @3.6 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 or Radeon R7 250X
  • HDD: 30 GB
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VRAM: 2 GB

• Recommended (1080p at 60 fps)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 @3.6 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 970 or Radeon R9 290X
  • HDD: 30 GB
  • RAM: 12 GB
  • VRAM: 4 GB

• Ideal (4K at 60 fps):
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @ 4 Ghz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980ti or Radeon Fury X
  • HDD: SSD + 30 GB
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VRAM: 6 GB or more

Source: Forza 6: Apex open beta kicks off next week | VG247

Hope I get to try it this summer :D The specs seem very strangely weighted, it looks super poorly optimized. 3820K as minimum?! That's INSANE. Yet it'll make do with a GT 740, isn't Intel's integrated GPU almost better than that these days? This game will basically be a CPU stress test.

Shame its only Win10

Why?

Hope I get to try it this summer :D The specs seem very strangely weighted, it looks super poorly optimized. 3820K as minimum?! That's INSANE. Yet it'll make do with a GT 740, isn't Intel's integrated GPU almost better than that these days? This game will basically be a CPU stress test.

Why?

I know right?! How can I not meet minimum requirements with an i5?! Yet I can run... well.. pretty much every game I have on ultra?!

There seems to be a fair bit of strange CPU recommendations lately. Perhaps it's either some sort of partnership with Intel or just inability to go far back enough to test.

Remember that in the last few years improvements have been pretty small - around 10%. Some are still comfortable gaming on the 2500K.

While I certainly have room for improvement with my 3750K I don't feel like it's causing any major performance bottlenecks on my system (that's with a Titan X graphics card too, btw). Maybe VR will change that, where high FPS is more critical.

• 3 weeks later...
Hoo'ah! Download now. About time I dusted off the G25 and saw what my new components could do.

CPU - AMD FX4300 3.8ghz running at 4.633ghz.

GPU - cheapo AMD 370 2GB. A lot better than my previous AMD5850 1GB

Let us know how you get on, runs like crap for me with a GTX970! :fp:

Bad CPU and memory management as I have read on the forums. The game does not use all the CPU cores.

Yeah I heard that, it's using like one or two cores... I have 4 for god sake use them all! *flaps*

Which settings do you use then? I have a 970GTX and it runs fine on High, you using Ultra?

High I do believe. Stutters like a mofo.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to having a go on this and wow, it looks absolutely stunning on my PC.

I've got a GTX770, one of the superclocked ones that factory overclocked by a fair bit and then further overclocked by me paired with a i5-4670k at about 4GHz and I can run it with everything on the highest settings at 1080 and a pretty solid 60fps. :hmmm: Maybe there was an update that fixed performance issues.

The handling doesn't feel quite the same as Forza 6 on the Xbox but then again I don't think I've used the cars I tried in Apex on Forza 6.

I do like where Forza is headed especially with a full Horizon 3 on PC too.