We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Would you move abroad? If so, where?

CarMadMike

Not discounting your point, but what about those two world wars?

100 years ago and 70 years ago? :hmmm: I know it might be quite 'recent history' but it's by no means something our generation has had to deal with :huh:

I agree with Anders, I think a Murican complaining about european security issues is kinda odd.

I'd like to go to Sweden, always wondered how life is in Middle Eastern countries.

I see what you did there. :lol:

-

I could see myself living stateside, not sure what state as a few that take my fancy, but I would't want to live in a big city.

Job wise it would't be a problem, HGV mechanic's will always be needed for the foreseeable future, and the skill set is easy transferable to other fields (Mechanical or engineering). I'd fit into some states really well thanks to my liking of gun's, drinking and cars, and there's plenty of out door stuff to do.

Alas, I often feel it seem's a bit too good to be true. And I'm a too settled to my life here in good ol Aberdeenshire. :)

Not discounting your point, but what about those two world wars?

World wars, not "Europe wars". The US was in both of them you know. I don't see your point. :hmmm:

I'd love to move to Norway, recently went there to visit And3rs/safiro/whatever and cis4care

That's awesome, I had no idea that's what you were doing.

Says someone from the country with more mass shootings than all of Europe combined? :cheeky:

This is true. But the (more recent) mass shootings here are by stupid/psycho Americans themselves, not people from abroad. I suppose it doesn't make a difference since innocent people are dying either way. Geographically, Europe is closer to parts of the world in turmoil now, and because of its location, it's an easier target. Since our world sucks, I wouldn't be surprised if such incidents increase in the future.

This is true. But the (more recent) mass shootings here are by stupid/psycho Americans themselves, not people from abroad. I suppose it doesn't make a difference since innocent people are dying either way. Geographically, Europe is closer to parts of the world in turmoil now, and because of its location, it's an easier target. Since our world sucks, I wouldn't be surprised if such incidents increase in the future.

All I see here is that we are hypothetically in a worse situation because of our location? :hmmm: Perhaps in the distant future you might be true, but we have absolutely no way of predicting that :p

Europe may be closer to parts of the world in turmoil, but in reality the US is itself in turmoill. You're much more likely to be murdered in the US than in Europe, these are facts published by the UN. If someone is about to shoot me in the face do I care if they're a foreign muslim extremist or an angry disenfranchised citizen? No not at all, that is the last thing I'd care about in that situation.

All I see here is that we are hypothetically in a worse situation because of our location? :hmmm: Perhaps in the distant future you might be true, but we have absolutely no way of predicting that :p

Just because you can't make a prediction doesn't mean you can't be wary.

You're much more likely to be murdered in the US than in Europe, these are facts published by the UN. If someone is about to shoot me in the face do I care if they're a foreign muslim extremist or an angry disenfranchised citizen? No not at all, that is the last thing I'd care about in that situation.

Andai made this statement already. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it doesn't matter who is doing the shooting, innocent people are still being killed.

I understand those facts are true, and have probably been true since WW2. But are you telling me that people who live in Europe aren't worried about future attacks?

I think my first post came off as too black and white. But since the conversation has started, I'm rolling with it. Safety is a concern, but it isn't the primary reason why I'm choosing to stay in the US over moving to Germany. Right now, I'd rather stay in the States since I'd have to go searching for a needle in a haystack to find a similar career in Europe, most likely with less opportunity for advancement.

Uranus I'll be mature, sorry. :p

Look at the statistics of how likely you are to die, you are much less likely to die a violent death in 2016 than at almost any period in time before now. So why should we live in fear of moving to the US or Europe or wherever? Of course people will still die, and if you do move to somewhere like the Gaza strip then okay, you're asking for the odds to increase exponentially. But I just think if you say no to moving to Paris because you're scared you might die, even though the chances are ridiculously ridiculously low and not much higher than where you live now, does that not mean the terrorists have won? As terror has been successfully and efficiently spread.

Basically #YOLO, don't let it play such a big role in your decision making. Things like careers etc are valid reasons :p