We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Game: Great value or ......I'll pass

CarMadMike

Stealing this idea from Jalopnik, as their latest Nice Price or Crack Pipe is something that has confused me more than most of them do.

Take it in turns to post a used Car Ad and we decide if it is a good deal, or if it is too big a risk or too high a price tag for what they're selling:

Starting off with 2006 Maserati Quattroporte

2006 Maserati Quattroporte:

yfj4b4qvlfsrbhwk2rek.jpg

- 52k Miles

- $17500

Great value or nah m8 u cray?

Purchase definitely very cheap, I think it won't be difficult finding somebody to buy it. But I'd pass:

- I find the low price suspicious (and I don't like the owner just tossing the VIN on the web like this).

- it's USA spec. Many people I encounter on car forums seem to love it, but I can't stand those reflectors.

- I assume it's a private seller, that means no warranty, and for a car that's been offered for this price, even after a 100% green pre-purchase inspection, I still wouldn't take the gamble.

Purchase definitely very cheap, I think it won't be difficult finding somebody to buy it. But I'd pass:

- I find the low price suspicious (and I don't like the owner just tossing the VIN on the web like this).

- it's USA spec. Many people I encounter on car forums seem to love it, but I can't stand those reflectors.

- I assume it's a private seller, that means no warranty, and for a car that's been offered for this price, even after a 100% green pre-purchase inspection, I still wouldn't take the gamble.

It is very cheap I agree, but not 'omg there's no WAY that is legit!' cheap, here's a UK equivalent: Maserati Quattroporte 4.2 DuoSelect 4dr

Still ridiculous amounts of car for the money. But yeah I agree, it'd be an absolute endless amount of repair bills. But to have a 'ferrari engineered' engine'd 4 door Italian designed car with that sound, if you buy one for £17k and then end up having to spend £4-5k over 3 years to keep it on the road. Is it not kinda still worth it? If you have 17k and that is all you have, then yeah stay clear, but if you have a £22-25k budget and put money aside for repairs is it still a hell of a lot of car for the money?

It'd definitely be something only petrol-heads should consider, I imagine they're the type of car you develop a bit of a relationship with and then end up forgiving them for all the faults/time in the garage. Not for someone that wants something a bit different to just get from A-B.

Feel free to post another car whenever people :D

• 2 weeks later...

So that is almost 17k in GBP. :hmmm:

Challenging one, so it does 0-60 in 6ish seconds? It has AWD, it's well built as it is a volvo? for 10 years old it has relatively low miles at 47k?

I think I'd pass to be honest. Maybe for the US market it is a bargain but over in the UK, you'd definitely be able to get an A4/A6 Avant, C/E Class Estate, 3/5 Series Estate for that kind of money at that kind of mileage and probably not as old either tbh. :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...