We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

This is what you see when you wear an Oculus Rift CV1

Ryzza5

Before I received my Rift I heard many say it was brilliant but I also heard some disappointment as to the visual quality. I assumed it would be good enough for me not to care (which is true) but there are probably many others who are also unable to 'just try it' and wonder what they can expect to see if/when they finally get to wear one. So I took the mirrored output of one race and made the following visual edits to give a rough idea (don't shoot me if it's not 100% perfect) of what the Rift is like to look through:

Yes you can see the black edges on the sides (you can actually see a little more above and below the edges shown here) but don't forget this image is hard up against your face and not half a meter away. In reality, the picture is a bit more dotty than this - I have compensated for the fact that you'll notice it less when focusing on where you are going (conversely, you'll notice it more if just watching a video).

• 3 weeks later...

@Ozzmcom. If you're note a graphics snob and can just appreciate the experience and immersion, then I see no reason to wait for Gen 2. Whenever that comes out, I suspect most will upgrade along with the latest graphics card. Probably not a cheap exercise. :)

Visually the above video is a decent idea of what it feels like, although if you focus on the screen door effect it does look worse. You shouldn't care enough about that though. What experiences are you looking forward to trying?

@Ozzmcom. If you're note a graphics snob and can just appreciate the experience and immersion, then I see no reason to wait for Gen 2. Whenever that comes out, I suspect most will upgrade along with the latest graphics card. Probably not a cheap exercise. :)

Visually the above video is a decent idea of what it feels like, although if you focus on the screen door effect it does look worse. You shouldn't care enough about that though. What experiences are you looking forward to trying?

mostly racing games I believe VR gaming is only good for certain types of games (the ones where the actor stands still). I still can't really justify the price tag, I did try out the htc one at my friend's as you've said visually it's lacking so I might just wait for another year or so.