We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

D.R.I.V.E. has been Kickstarted! And we need you!

CLR-GTR

So you're basically making a perfect version of TDU, that sounds amazing! I wish you all the best and if all things go right, you will probably have one of the best OWR games ever.

Have you considered the damage modeling and physics or is it too soon to work on those kind of things? (Sorry if I sound like a complete game-developer n00b...)

Also, the provided screenshots contain "dreamup cars", will this be a definitive choice or will you make real brand cars eventually? (Again, sorry if you are in a too early stage to judge)

I'm curious to see more, again, best of luck and I hope for a fluent release, don't whatever you do rush it.

Definitely gonna see if we can get in touch with that MotoGames mister, thanks for the tip :)

@Loekie: thanks for the good-luck wishes :)

Damage will definitely be in the game, both visual with detachable parts, as performance-wise with degrading part/system conditions. Damage is something we'll look into later in development, but it will definitely come and we already model the cars to support damage.

Yes, the screenshots provided show redesigned imaginary vehicles and brands. I have to be realistic: I'm not expecting our game will feature real brands, for several reasons:

- we'd need licenses to avoid getting our sitting flesh slapped all over the courtrooms across the world. Licenses for vehicles cost an awful lot - I'm speaking from experience here on the car-brand side with Driveclub.

- we are a very small and currently as good as unknown developer with no big rich publisher or investor backing us, so we need all the money for main development

- the car list is rather large for a first game, combined with the massive costs this is going to be a massive bill to pay, and again we rather spend that on getting a firm base

- we will not do a mixed world with both imaginary and real brands. We go 100% one or the other.

Also, we think imaginary cars give us advantages over real brands:

- we can alter things of their design - ofcourse this is a rather personal preference kind of thing but if there's 1 who likes it, there are always a few more who like it

- we can stay free of exclusivity deals or extreme license costs to ensure a competitive and interesting range of vehicles

- we can give each vehicle a fair and equal amount of things you can do to them, without being restricted because the license (and manufacturer) prevent us from doing A or B to/with the car

Oh and rushing is not going to happen. This is our hobby, our passion, and that means we can only do it right or not do it at all :p

Ye that seems like the best option to me as well. As you say, the youtubers don't really handle news, they handle gameplay. Inside Sim Racing has been added to the list, and I've added some dutch gaming websites as well. We're not running out of options, we just have to keep searching :p

As Italian fellows did with assetto corsa, might be interesting to rely on modding communities to bring real models and brands. (Even if they got official licenses as well).

This way you'd "just " have to design the game to be modding friendly.

And i agree, focusing on driving pleasure is the most important. Help will come naturally from skilled people by their free time :nods:

Edit: will spread the word by French "drive unlimited" community (former tdufrance website... Tdu.fr does not exist anymore)

• 5 weeks later...

Lol thanks Ryan.

And on that note a textual update from ourselves:

So we've failed kickstarter. We ended at 1421 pounds, and that was thanks to auction-style last minute addings. We are very aware of what caused this: we had too little to show, especially of where we want to go with D.R.I.V.E. Various factors meant we couldn't spend as much time on creating update-material as we'd like, and perhaps we underestimated the time we needed.

What is our plan now you might wonder. Well, we're continuing with what we're doing: coding, texturing, modelling and landscaping towards a small playable environment first to get some more interest again in the project and have more to show. Failing on kickstarter isn't a death blow to us since there's plenty of work we can do as it is now, and we're doing this without a paycheck for any of the team members and without a publisher forcing us to release something ahead of schedule. So, we're just carrying on. Our website is up and running, we have gained a fair bit of attention, so now that we have it, we can build on that. We'll post updates on our website and on social media when we have news and ofcourse we'll answer questions.

I'd also like to keep this topic open so I can also post our updates here directly.

Thanks to everybody for the attention, spreading the word and your offers of help. :)

Exactly what I like about the game. I am into little details and we all know that small things make a big difference. I've always dreamt about a game that would let you configure your car like on manufacturer's websites, customize everything, etc.

NFS UG2 had the best tuning ever, Driveclub paid great attention to details (panel gaps, sounds), TDU let you get different interiors... Combine all of this, add more and take my money.

Easier said than done, I know. :cheeky:

Some sort of mass 'reminder' announcement a few days before the end of KS may have helped a number of "wait and see" punters join at the last minute too. It totally fell off my radar this week (probably due to FH3 and Rocket League Rumble). Of course a playable demo can't hurt either if you're targeting sim racing communities where many are 'soft' for other experiences such as open world.

One thing that stood out to me as missing in the video is a 'look to apex' / less rigid camera. Plenty of time though. The sudden and frequent jump cuts also made we wonder what was cut.

We hoped we could get some more attention by showing more videos with more content and functionality but due to various reasons we didn't get to making them or get the content ready in time. We're also realistic: yes it might have given us a bit more attention and we should have tried, then again when you see the list of media we contacted, and how many even responded to begin with, we know we'd never pull in the amount of people needed.

Ah well, time to learn, look forward and work on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We had the luck that we had a few coders and modelers. Ofcourse we're learning new things with really making a game, throwing everything together.

Customization will be in. At the moment we're focussing on OEM customization first, which translates to choosing paints, interior colors and trim, different wheel sets and various optional equipment of which some can slightly affect performance. Later we will also work on other customization as what you're talking about but we'll have to think first about clever ways of making parts suitable for multiple vehicles.

• 1 month later...

I wish you good luck and the bests hearts for your project,

if I can support you all (or make a team a day), I will do ; I have a little dream to do a videogame like TDU too, but I'm better to find money & investissors than making a game, so I discover your community recently and I respect very much all your works about modding and creativities

ducking thanks to your community :duck:

• 2 months later...