We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car designers: Are they too lazy?

TurboDuck

[headline]Car designers: Are they too lazy?[/headline]

mercedes.jpg

Car designers: Are they too lazy?

A criticism repeatedly raised on TDUCK and by automotive journalists alike is that car design is simply too monotonous and that in 2016 car designers have gotten lazy and lack any sort of imagination. This critique of car design is so frequently stated that it is quite easy to just accept that the criticism...

Read more on this...

Well. Rude.

What you fail to understand it isn't us designers getting lazy, even as a student I'm restricted to what I can design and the styling. We have so many constraints because when designing a car you have to design something that sells and that takes priority, if the previous gen sold well we'd have to design it based on that chassis why? Because it was popular.

We're not lazy we just get told what to do

it isn't us designers

Are medical students allowed to call themselves doctors before they're qualified? :cheeky: j/k, this post wasn't meant to offend anyone, it is highlighting something that is very obviously an issue within the industry and was written with the intention of sparking a debate, which it seems to have done :p

Of course sales are a key priority for car manufacturers. What would you call the Nissan Juke and the absolutely crazy success it has had in the UK then? :shrug: It looks like nothing else in the Nissan range or anything else on the road. People were VERY interested in something that was different to the norm.

Corporate hierarchy, safety regulations, sales figures among many other things play a role when it comes to car design, but you seem to 'fail to understand' the other side of the coin too: cars from certain manufacturers do look too similar.

Yes I understand giving common looks to a brand is something you want, but Merc was also able to do that between 2000 and 2010 while it was easy to tell a C, E or S apart from each other. It can be done. But it's a manager or CEO's decision why cars have to look like each other. The same way in that managers try to decide on solutions I have to build into roofs while they hardly have mechanical engineering experience. The same way on why AMG is not building a new CLK-GTR: the CEO hates it so it won't happen.

There's so extremely much possible with design, even within manufacturability and standards/safety requirements, but it's not being shown because some manager wants the design team to make stuff look the same. If designers could, ofcourse they'd do things different. I don't think it's them being lazy. It's them being restrained too much.