We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Things none 'Car folk' say that wind you up...

calster17

We've all hard that moment, be in online or out & about, where you hear or see someone say something relating to cars that just down right irradiates you. Be it a downright lie or annoying misconceptions.

Half the time when this happens I don't bother correcting people on it though unless it's people I know who'd care.

Just to say, when I say "Car Folk" i'm meaning the type of people, like most of us here, who know the in's, outs and downright random stuff people would't care about.

So to start us off, here's a few from myself...

While washing the Lexus at a Jet wash, a taxi driver who was next to me commented about the car with...

"Ah great cars, I had one a few years back with the manual box"

I'm sure you did mate.

At a car meet I seen a MG ZT 260 parked up, me and my mate were ogling it. Then hear a kid walking past comment (Changed words slightly) "Why do they care? it's a pile of Poo Rover". Later seen the guy sitting in his Corsa VXR, vaping away.

People seeing your car then saying how they had the next model up (I.e, you could have a M3 & they will say that they had the GTS)

Assuming that because it's an old car, it's worthless.

One i'm having alot at the moment, is people asking "Why bother restoring THAT?" often followed by "If it was the M3 I could understand".

Surely I'm not the only one? :lol:

I don't think I've ever seen a MT Lexus... :think:

They made one. We had it. It was awful. :lol:

I had work colleagues saying that the '08 Mercedes C-class uses Renault's 1.6 diesel engines... i facepalmed hard but right after that he said also that the Mclaren F1 team and road cars uses Renault engines.

Renault diesels are 1.5, no? 1.5 and 1.9 iirc. And the smallest engine in 2008 was probably the 2.1, no? :fp:

I believe the CLA200 or 180 has a 1.5 DCI engine though :lol:

Renault diesels are 1.5, no? 1.5 and 1.9 iirc. And the smallest engine in 2008 was probably the 2.1, no? :fp:

I believe the CLA200 or 180 has a 1.5 DCI engine though :lol:

Renault uses since 2011 1.6 diesel for maybe bigger cars and if i'm not mistaken the new Traffic uses it.

Thats one that always annoys me actually, saying X car uses Y motor. Yes some of them model's did, but not all. (Made worse when said partnership ended a good few years beforehand)

Going by that logic, may as well say that Rovers made since the mid 50's offered a Gas Turbine engine thanks to the JET1 concept, or how all Fords are powered by Volvo engines thanks to the C30 and Focus ST using the same 5-pot engine! :lol:

The ones that get me is Rover with some using Honda engines...seeing people go "Nah it wont brake its the Honda engine one that is" when talking about the 75 V6's. Also saying how every diesel model is the BMW engine. Would't annoy me as much as it does, but it's the fact people selling it on information that's wrong that get's me.

And that's also a mistake of the vid: it's CLK-GTR, or CLR. There's no thing like a CLR-GTR other than in my humble imaginary world, and that was because as a kid, the names made no sense to me so I just smashed the CL and CLK-GTR together, the way I thought Merc treated their names. :p

And that's also a mistake of the vid: it's CLK-GTR, or CLR. There's no thing like a CLR-GTR other than in my humble imaginary world, and that was because as a kid, the names made no sense to me so I just smashed the CL and CLK-GTR together, the way I thought Merc treated their names. :p

How come I have never heard of the CLR? Mortified. :faint:

#germancarslookthesameanyway

Just read it up on the web, the only reason people remember it is because of the aerobatics Robik showed with the vid, which happend twice with Mark Webber and once with Peter Dumbreck. They only made 3, 2 were eventually destroyed in the practice/races and the #6 on the above picture is the only remaining one and in private hands now. It only survived because it was retired from the race before it even joined.

Remembered a few more lines I heard that really annoy me:

- a colleague of mine in car business: ''a car should cost as little as possible, I just want the cheapest I can find''. Quite the statement for somebody who went to work for an automotive OEM supplier. He also prefers a brand new car with full warranty for under 10K, of which there are 0 in holland unless you count in those little Aixam things you don't need a license for. I've just wished him good luck with it :lol:

- people saying that cars with a lot of power and high top speeds are absolutely useless because ''you're only allowed to do 120 max on the roads anyway''. Too bad such people are also trying to ru(i)n the EU, I remember they seriously discussed the subject forcing speed governing to 150 km/h. :evil:

I was going to say the Dacia's are probably less then 10k and then went to checke the dutch dacia website and was corrected

In the argument that cars are to powerfull and have way higher top speed then what is legal the people that say that are ,and i'm sorry for saying it, really stupid, i mean c'mon just because a car can achive 300km/h doesn't mean you have to do it on the road. Look at japan their cars are limited to 180, 190 but still people find a way to disable that and speed anyway.

True, plus if you're going to decide on the right of existence for products in such way, you'll have to pull this reasoning across everything, and then you'll find out how bizarre life will become if you ban everything that has features or specifications that extend beyond basic functionality for all-day use...