We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Reports: Apple to purchase McLaren Technology Group?

TurboDuck

[headline]Reports: Apple to purchase McLaren Technology Group?[/headline]

mclaren.jpg

Reports: Apple to purchase McLaren Technology Group?

So, the internet is already flooded with Apple Mac/McLaren puns and jokes so I will save you the pain of having to read too many more.

The Financial Times is running a story today stating that Apple has approached McLaren Technology Group with the intention...

Read more on this...

The Mclaren F1 team has never been the type to be desperate for money, and the car manufactuer side of the business seems to be growing very well and the products are amazing. Yes the company might be running a deficit at the moment but I don't think it is too concerning. I'm worried this acquisition might change what I like about the company at the moment.

That means nothing to be honest, they could be saying that because the rumours might put other investments or upcoming deals in jeopardy. I'd rather Apple didn't buy McLaren though so that would be good news.

It raises some questions though, the FT are a rather legitimate source so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some elements of truth to the story, whether it be Apple have approached a renown Automaker, or some other company has approached McLaren.

That means nothing to be honest, they could be saying that because the rumours might put other investments or upcoming deals in jeopardy. I'd rather Apple didn't buy McLaren though so that would be good news.

It raises some questions though, the FT are a rather legitimate source so it wouldn't surprise me if there is some elements of truth to the story, whether it be Apple have approached a renown Automaker, or some other company has approached McLaren.

Well, yeah.

IMO Apple could be interested only in one of their subsidiaries, Applied Technologies. Apple is big into this area. I don't think (autonomous) cars is what this is all about.

Yup I agree. When you factor in how how sterile, minimalist, futuristic-looking and engineering focused both brands are, mixed with how much they hate 3rd party interference (they don't like you opening the engine hood of McLarens, Apple are notoriously closed off) then you do start to think it could be a match made in heaven.

They can have Applied Technologies for all I care, a Jonathan Ive design with Mclaren Applied Technology engineering would be amazing. But I'd rather McLaren Automotive stayed independent of Apple.

Apple’s interest in venturing into the automobile sector has been widely reported for many years now, with an ‘Apple Car’ being supposedly in the works for coming up to 3-4 years with little to no details having been released about the project by the tech juggernaut as of September 2016.

Thank you for reading my article.