We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

[RELEASED] Test Drive Unlimited Ultra Community Pack v1.04

Milli

Excuse me for bumping an old thread, but I've been playing with this mod for a while now, and while I utterly adore the new content it adds - especially the japanese cars, sucks how there were only two-three Nissans in the original game, not to mention the wider choice for first cars - I've had some... problems with the mod. I tried looking up and around, high and low, but either I'm the single, only living and breathing organism in the multiverse with these problems, or it's just the search engines being horrible as usual.

The first, and minor, problem, is that many cars have the door opening animations glitched. Instead of the doors opening, only the windows will swing out independently of the doors themselves. This is at its worst with the Toyota Supra, where opening the right door will cause the entire roof to detach and float away like it suddenly became a convertible. Fortunately, this only affects showrooms if I try to open the doors, so it doesn't really get in the way of gameplay. Usually. (Some cutscenes show the car's door opening, so it's possible to get a glimpse of the Magic Floating Windows™)

The second problem, which is actually major compared to the first, is that many cars in the game seem to put a very heavy load in the game, because driving them for longer than one or two minutes causes the framerate to tank, resulting in lag spikes. This effect is further pronounced when playing in dashboard view(which is painful because I feel much more bonded to the car when in dashboard cam). This means that the game quickly becomes pretty much unplayable. While you could just say "well, don't play with those cars, then," there's no way to figure out what car will lag or not(Test Drive is too brief to see if it'll be laggy), so it would pretty much boil down to trial and error. Plus, it can be very frustrating if your favourite car turns out to make the game unplayably laggy(I was particularly eager to drive the Skyline R32 and the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, only to find out they tank my framerate. I swapped the R32 for the R34, and it had the same problem).

Is there a way to at least solve the second problem? I wouldn't say my computer is weak - it has plenty of RAM and a reasonably powerful CPU and GPU(8GB RAM, AMD 6300fx, GeForce GTX 750Ti), plus it ran the vanilla game just fine with no issues. I already have the game's graphics at the absolute minimum allowed.

Excuse me for bumping an old thread, but I've been playing with this mod for a while now, and while I utterly adore the new content it adds - especially the japanese cars, sucks how there were only two-three Nissans in the original game, not to mention the wider choice for first cars - I've had some... problems with the mod. I tried looking up and around, high and low, but either I'm the single, only living and breathing organism in the multiverse with these problems, or it's just the search engines being horrible as usual.

The first, and minor, problem, is that many cars have the door opening animations glitched. Instead of the doors opening, only the windows will swing out independently of the doors themselves. This is at its worst with the Toyota Supra, where opening the right door will cause the entire roof to detach and float away like it suddenly became a convertible. Fortunately, this only affects showrooms if I try to open the doors, so it doesn't really get in the way of gameplay. Usually. (Some cutscenes show the car's door opening, so it's possible to get a glimpse of the Magic Floating Windows™)

The second problem, which is actually major compared to the first, is that many cars in the game seem to put a very heavy load in the game, because driving them for longer than one or two minutes causes the framerate to tank, resulting in lag spikes. This effect is further pronounced when playing in dashboard view(which is painful because I feel much more bonded to the car when in dashboard cam). This means that the game quickly becomes pretty much unplayable. While you could just say "well, don't play with those cars, then," there's no way to figure out what car will lag or not(Test Drive is too brief to see if it'll be laggy), so it would pretty much boil down to trial and error. Plus, it can be very frustrating if your favourite car turns out to make the game unplayably laggy(I was particularly eager to drive the Skyline R32 and the Toyota Sprinter Trueno, only to find out they tank my framerate. I swapped the R32 for the R34, and it had the same problem).

Is there a way to at least solve the second problem? I wouldn't say my computer is weak - it has plenty of RAM and a reasonably powerful CPU and GPU(8GB RAM, AMD 6300fx, GeForce GTX 750Ti), plus it ran the vanilla game just fine with no issues. I already have the game's graphics at the absolute minimum allowed.

This thread is not really old, but sorry for the late reply, i just checked it now.

So, no, you're not the only one having those "issues". But there are good and bad news. Good news is, i know why it happens and i will tell you so, bad news is, i can not particulary fix them. And that will be clear when i tell you why they happen.

Both problems have the same thing in common, which is the way the modder himself did the car. Glitched door animations or not working doors is a problem with the car mod itself, which is not really what UCP is responsible for. The Supra moves the roof because the modder who did it, linked the roof with the windows, so when you roll down the windows, the roof goes down aswell, it is a trick that some modders do in order to get other features to work in an old, limited game like TDU. Some mods have working spoilers instead of windows, for example. Some will move other parts when you flash your headlights, because they're using the "pop-up headlight" animation to do so.

Some modders decide to lock the doors, because the 3D model doesn't have a door seal and they do not know how to make it from scratch. And sometimes, it is better that way.

Only way that could be possible fixed is, ask the modder to re-work on his mod.

The second problem is also related to how the modder did his car. They are more common to happen with Miha2795 mods. Keep in mind that these mods are way heavier than original TDU files, and this happens more because of TDU engine not being able to properlly render it all than your computer. And also sadly, some car mods are only made by Miha, no-one else has made them. I am trying to replace as many models i can find for the update, called TDU Platinum, but sadly some Miha mods will have to stay, as this issue doesn't affect anyone and nobody else but him did some cars. Again, the solution would be ask the modder to re-work on his mod, to make it more TDU friendly.

My laptop is weaker than your computer, yet it can handle these heavier mods better. Try to play the game without anything else open, just the game. But i am no computer geek to really help you with trying to find a better solution on this.

So, just to double check and be clear, sadly, Ultra Community Pack did not made any car, the work done is basically a big gathering of different already made car mods and packed them together in one game, with a correct coding to make them work as new vehicles instead of the old method of installing mods, which were replacing the existing vehicles in game.

This has been a constant issue with the "project" in general, and it frustrates me as much as it frustrates you or anyone that has those issues, but that is sadly beyond my knowledge, as i know more about programming the game, and not really about how to convert cars from other games to TDU. And also sadly, most car modders are inactive. So, unless someone decides to re-do these vehicles, they will stay "broken". :(

Ah, don't worry, I'm aware that it's a community project. It's very easy to tell each car was made by different people due to certain different traits each car has. (Some have working doors and the taillights/headlights have the same glow effect as vanilla cars, others don't; some have well-detailed interiors, others have more simplistic dashboards, etc.) I can live with the door thing, it's minor enough to be just a small nitpick. I'm more concerned about the lag problem. I'm familiar with certain cars only being made by one person, so I understand why that is the case. Don't worry, it's understandable that there's not much to be done about it, it's a sad fact but we just oughta accept it.

I suppose the only clear workaround is, could you make a list of all the cars that are known to be laggy/heavier, or are made by modders who tend to make their cars heavier/bulkier so we can avoid them? It's not a perfect workaround as AI racers using these cars will still cause the game's framerate to tank, but it's still better than nothing.

Ah, don't worry, I'm aware that it's a community project. It's very easy to tell each car was made by different people due to certain different traits each car has. (Some have working doors and the taillights/headlights have the same glow effect as vanilla cars, others don't; some have well-detailed interiors, others have more simplistic dashboards, etc.) I can live with the door thing, it's minor enough to be just a small nitpick. I'm more concerned about the lag problem. I'm familiar with certain cars only being made by one person, so I understand why that is the case. Don't worry, it's understandable that there's not much to be done about it, it's a sad fact but we just oughta accept it.

I suppose the only clear workaround is, could you make a list of all the cars that are known to be laggy/heavier, or are made by modders who tend to make their cars heavier/bulkier so we can avoid them? It's not a perfect workaround as AI racers using these cars will still cause the game's framerate to tank, but it's still better than nothing.

Ah, i won't make such list, sorry. Specially because it somewhat changes from people to people. Also, it will demand a time i don't want to spend with.

You should open a dedicated thread (if not already existing) and drop your results there, that will encourage other people to do the same. That way it will make an informative database. Still better than nothing ;)

Ah, sure. I'll give it a try and experiment with some cars, then. I can't guarantee I'll be able to catch most of the cars, though.

So far, the three most laggy ones are the Nissan Skyline R32, the R34, and the Sprinter Trueno. The Sprinter is the worst of the bunch; while trying the tactic of playing TDU with nothing else open, the game still acted pretty choppy, and eventually it froze so hard it took my entire computer down with it. The Skylines never did that(though they do still lag a lot). Other cars I tested out that don't lag are the Nissan 240SX, Toyota GT86, Mazda Miata, Nissan Silvia, Mazda RX-7 Type-R, Honda NSX-R, and Lamborghini Diablo. The Toyota Celica GT-Four RC lags more than usual, but normally not as much as the Skylines and the Sprinter Trueno.

Hopefully I'll manage to catch over most of the laggy cars. And thanks a lot for this mod, it adds a huge chunk of my dream/favourite cars to this game!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...