We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

turboduck car of the year: 2016 Edition

CarMadMike

:hiya:

According to the cycle of the Chinese Zodiac, 2016 was the year of the Monkey, but I feel 2016 will most likely be remembered and studied in the future as the year of the.... wait, wtf? did that seriously happen? #MAGA

The wtf-ery also reared its head in the car universe, with TopGear making a reappearance sans Clarkson May and Hammond, Toyota deciding this was the right direction go with with the Prius, Nico Rosberg somehow winning the F1 championship and then seemingly deciding it wasn't the right career choice for him and also Ford deciding to sell their soul to shmee social media with the new Ford GT selection process.

But let's take a break from drinking ourselves into oblivion to forget the hilarity that was 2016 and try and focus on the good things that happened.

What was your favourite car of 2016?

To be eligible for this thread, it needs to be a new model (not just a facelift) that went on sale and was delivered to customers in 2016 (I think this rules out the new Ford GT? I'm unsure).

Here is a reminder of some contributions made by British marques this year to get the ball rolling:

- Jaguar F-Pace

- Range Rover Evoque Convertible :huh:

- McLaren 570S

- Aston Martin DB11

- Bentley Bentayga

- Rolls Royce Dawn

I'm interested to see what people come up with, try and debate with each other but remember no one's opinion is wrong unless your username is Calster and you're nominating some paperweight produced by MG :D

The Porsche is lacking something for me, I think it's exclusivity? Yes, it was only a limited production run but it's very similar looking to every other Porsche 911 model, which sell very well. There's just something about the R which makes me not love it.

I know it's the best car of the year, but It wouldn't be where my money went.

The Porsche is lacking something for me, I think it's exclusivity? Yes, it was only a limited production run but it's very similar looking to every other Porsche 911 model, which sell very well. There's just something about the R which makes me not love it.

I know it's the best car of the year, but It wouldn't be where my money went.

It's easy to love/dismiss a car without having any real-life personal interaction with it. One reason I don't really care much about car reviews anymore. It's all more or less subjective.

Out of all new 2016 cars I've driven only the BMW M2.

I am sure I would not be disappointed driving the R, and the fact that it looks kind of anonymous is imho part of its charm.

Close second would be the manual V12 Vantage S.

It's easy to love/dismiss a car without having any real-life personal interaction with it. One reason I don't really care much about car reviews anymore. It's all more or less subjective.

Out of all new 2016 cars I've driven only the BMW M2.

I am sure I would not be disappointed driving the R, and the fact that it looks kind of anonymous is imho part of its charm.

Close second would be the manual V12 Vantage S.

I think it also comes down to Porsche almost always winning these types of competitions too. The Cayman GT4 won most of 2015's COTY competitions didn't it? I know I shouldn't criticise Porsche for always winning them but people are quite happy to do that with Mercedes in F1 :p

Well, the Alfa Giulia is quite something, as it brings back the name Alfa Romeo to the scene. I know, Alfa never went "out" completelly, but the Giulia just grabbed the attention, by not only looking outstandingly beautiful, but by being the fastest sedan around the ring, beating the Panamera.

Well, the Alfa Giulia is quite something, as it brings back the name Alfa Romeo to the scene. I know, Alfa never went "out" completelly, but the Giulia just grabbed the attention, by not only looking outstandingly beautiful, but by being the fastest sedan around the ring, beating the Panamera.

Not a bad shout, again, it wouldn't be my choice but it deserves to be nominated fo sho.

With Fiat trying to share much more tech and parts with its Chrysler siblings, I was always a bit concerned that the Dodge Charger and Challenger had no hope, but the Giulia gives me a reason to be more optimistic.

Fiat actually brought up Charger and Challenger back from the grave aswell, as the Hellcat project was under FCA wings, and their success is undeniable. Plus, Jeep Renegade. People may hate it, but Fiat is in a good era. :lol:

Yeah I know FCA are responsible for the Hellcat project, but actually having those 2 cars on Alfa or other FCA platforms will be an interesting development. :hmmm: Fiat does seem to be in a good place a the moment though, I like the Tipo, not many people do though haha