We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

F1 2017: News/Calendar/Updates

CarMadMike

Alright people let's keep it civil now. We can have our disagreements and passionately fight our corner but insults and labelling is not something we want to see.

As for the current topic at hand, I can see why a number of people are calling out the FiA on favouritism again. There were a number of drivers exceeding the track limits and so a lack of consistency in how these punishments are awarded has raised its head again. This seriously needs to be looked at on their end.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may as well add my thoughts. :D

When Verstappen was told that this is his last chance by his race engineer and couldn't get it done on the straight he knew where the last chance to overtake was. He took the chance and was penalised for going off the track and gaining a advantage.

Just to be clear I'm not saying the penalty was right or wrong. Though i agree the inconsistency on leaving the track is bull. If the rule was as clear cut as you take all four wheels off the track you should be penalised for everyone at every track it would be fine. All drivers would just adhere to the rules.

One last thing, i find it strange that some of you here have formed strong opinions on people you have never met.

In many racing disciplines you tend to get a set number of times where you can exceed track limits before you will be warned that any more will result in a penalty. Instances that result in the gaining of an advantage will usually see action taken independent of this though.

Is F1 not the same?

Surely that shouldn't be allowed, don't you then just see people saving a chance to go off the track to gain an advantage knowing there are a few times then can get away with it.

In F1 if the stewards decide that you don't gain an advantage by going off track they turn a blind eye to it. Which to me is the problem as some years they have said no the other times said yes you gain an advantage.

The other issue is there have been a few instances this year with a certain team just being warned as they didn't want to interfere with the championship. Which should never be the reason not to penalise some one.

It's only one or two times then they get called in for a stop-and-go or are given a time penalty. I think I have seen it most in BTCC and GT racing. Some areas of the track are deemed fine to exceed whereas others are not, and this is where the flag notifying the driver will be shown if they do it too many times.

F1 needs to clarify this area of the rules and let it be known, not only to drivers but the viewers too, where this can and cannot happen and punish those who flout it. Either that or erect a barrier of some sort in those parts. :twisted:

Congratulations to Hammy on that 4th Championship, the start to this year's Driver's champ was good but ever since Singapore Vettel seemed to lose traction in the competition. Baku being a race he'll want to forget for the foreseeable future.

Hoping Red Bull will be in a position to fight at the front next year, having Verstappen and Ricciardo in contention for the driver's title would be amazing. Will be interesting to see where McLaren end up in the grid too.

It was interesting to hear Ted say Merc had there engine turned down. With next year going down to three engines per year we're going to see a lot more gird penalties next year.

Will sure be interesting to see where Mclaren are next year given they had the Merc engine in 2014, where the power difference was at it's peak and they was only just in the points then.

News on the power units for 2021. Increased RPM :yay:

Formula 1 reveals 2021 engine blueprint | F1 News

Even though I'm not a Hamilton fan, he was the most solid driver throughout the season, unlike Vettel. By the end of the day that's what gets you championships. Also, Mercedes nailed it on this turbo V6 era, and it's a bit disappointing that the next gen engines (2021) will still be V6 Turbo hybrids, although simpler. I was hoping to see a couple more of cylinders thrown into the mix or maybe something more open like LMP1 cars (Whose costs also skyrocketed, and F1 is aiming at lower costs) where we had Diesel engines, against Turbo V6, against Turbo V4 and all worked and were pretty much competitive. Anyways, at least we will get more sounds from the increased RPM limit, but also I'd like to see the fuel flow rate increased, fueling at the pit stops was great!

Fueling is quite risky these days, for an open car, like F1, the risk of getting flames is too big, and they will refuel in 3 seconds anyways. What i would like to see is less downforce and more mechanical grip, so drivers can really tailgate others in corners without worry too much about the reduced airflow. :lol:

Well, fueling in WEC, IMSA, DTM, etc. seems to work just fine. Is risky and prone to fires? Yes. But I think it's another element in which teams can rely their strategy on. Do you want to fuel and lose more time in pits, but have a lighter car? Or is it better to never fuel and limit the fuel rate on the engine mapping? I think there would be more posibilities...

Well, fueling in WEC, IMSA, DTM, etc. seems to work just fine. Is risky and prone to fires? Yes. But I think it's another element in which teams can rely their strategy on. Do you want to fuel and lose more time in pits, but have a lighter car? Or is it better to never fuel and limit the fuel rate on the engine mapping? I think there would be more posibilities...

Those are closed, tourism cars, the fuel is away from the driver. That's the main difference.

• 1 month later...

Was good to see Vettel, Hamilton and Bottas chatting at the end of the race in Abu Dhabi... Wish the final race could be on a more exciting track that allowed the drivers to challenge each other a bit more. Hopefully Liberty can bring in some good changes in the future and not just kowtow to arab money.