We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

SimBin's GTR 3 Coming in 2018

The Compensator

gtr-3-by-simbin-01-jpg.170511

gtr-3-by-simbin-02-jpg.170512

The hardcore sim title, which utilises the Unreal 4 engine, will mark the third installment of the much loved and respected GTR series and is the first title from Simbin since 2010.

Simbin Studios Head Allan Speed provided some comments on the announcement: “It will be proper simulation but for the console version the casual user is just as important. At some point RaceRoom will switch over to the technology we are creating and we'll just take that a different route, as in simulation with support for both console and PC."

Sector3 Studios CEO Chris Speed is also very involved in the title and wants to strike a balance between the hardcore PC sim market and more casual console market: "I think another point we need to take note of is, whilst the PC community would love this hard core simulation thing which is fine, as Allan said there is a console community that aren't going to fully adhere to that. The product at the end of the day needs to appeal to both sides, hardcore racer as awell and the casual gamer. A game that does that really really well is Formula One. I can have fantastic fun in the simulator on PC and I can have just as much fun as a casual gamer on a console. They do it really well. I'm not saying that's something we are going to follow completely, I'm just saying that they've done it and it's possible... The best way to put it is neither side will be forgotten."

Development of GTR 3 is underway and Simbin are currently in the process of recruiting additional staff members to aid progress. According to Allan Speed, the development team should have a playable version of GTR 3 after six months which will feature one track, weather, damage, new particle system, physics and AI.

We'll have more on GTR 3 very shortly, let us know in the comments if you're excited to get back in to the world of GTR or indeed if you are looking forward to playing the title for the first time. - See more at: SimBin Studios announce GTR 3 for PC, Xbox One & PlayStation 4 :: Team VVV

I think another point we need to take note of is, whilst the PC community would love this hard core simulation thing which is fine, as Allan said there is a console community that aren't going to fully adhere to that. The product at the end of the day needs to appeal to both sides, hardcore racer as awell and the casual gamer. A game that does that really really well is Formula One. I can have fantastic fun in the simulator on PC and I can have just as much fun as a casual gamer on a console. They do it really well. I'm not saying that's something we are going to follow completely, I'm just saying that they've done it and it's possible... The best way to put it is neither side will be forgotten

I almost understand what he's trying to say, I agree about the difference in gamer on both platforms, but i'm not sure exactly what solution to this gap he's found or trying to insinuate GTR 3 will be. It's basically just rambling imo. What solution has he found?

Just give everyone the options to set it as they want!! Seriously can it be that hard to allow people to dumb it down a bit if they want to and then in multiplayer have an option to select lobbies with at least that sort of handling mode? Am I crazy for thinking this!!?!?! :derp:

BTW we've known GTR 3 has been coming since that trailer for Xbox 360 back in ermm.... 2011.

So happy to see this. where have Simbin been?! GTR was pretty amazing in its day, hopefully this will live up to its predecessors too. Either way it's nice to see another title in the racing game genre.

@Diablo completely agree. And it is as simple as that. You run the game, you're presented with a simple screen that asks "What type of player are you?" Casual/Hardcore. That's your base, from there you can choose driving aids/AI difficulty. Simple, no?

Good news, albeit really confusing. I remember excitedly picking up GTR Evolution back in the day expecting that to be GTR3, when instead it was an expansion pack to Race 07, which required Steam and a re-download of the game back when we probably had <10GB of download quotas per month. I really hated Steam then.

GTR2 and 3 are technically both made by SimBin in much the same way that TDU1 and 2 were both made by Eden Games. We know that when TDU2 was in development work had already started on the Crew. Most of the GTL, GTR, & GTR2 developers have ended up at you know where.

All that aside I'm still looking forward to trying this as I know RaceRoom does have a well respected physics model but that I don't have time for their F2P/DLC model and reportedly bad netcode. I'm sure I've also read that these guys are working on a competitor service to iRacing as well which will be interesting.

Hardcore Realistic physics can work equally well for hardcore and casual players alike, as long as the cars are controllable on both gamepad and wheel (although there are 2 distinct types of gamepad players - ones who tap and ones who hold the steering inputs). Difficulty can be assigned to the AI only.