We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

The Crew 2 {DT} - General Discussion Thread

TurboDuck

It's more the level of recreation. Look at games like DRIVECLUB, Forza, Project CARS/2 and Gran Turismo and see how faithfully to form and function the dials and digital readouts are. Providing a sense of being behind the wheel of those vehicles.

And because everyone else is doing it like this (as they should be), it makes the others who don't, look amateurish and not as talented in that department.

I agree with you on the sound aspect but still don't understand your point of view on the interiors as they were perfectly fine in most cars (excluding the circuit/raid spec cars) + they were largely customizable which is an aspect that's missing in many car games that we rank above TC.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4175/34337486660_78091f172d_o.png

Just dug up the first interior shot I could find, this was taken on the Xbox :shrug:

I don't have any interior shots because they always came up terrible. The M5, Vantage, Challenger and M4 (First 4 cars that come to my mind) cockpits are pretty bad, like bad textures or not-so-round gauges... Should fire TC up and take some screens to show my point.

Btw, I've never found the cockpit camera unusable, yeah the wobbling on the steering wheel was a bit awkward but no big deal. Maybe it has to do with me playing with a pad :hmmm:

Fair enough, I do agree with what you've said but still, if you were just looking at TC without comparing it to anything, and were told to tell the biggest flaws in it, it's not up there in my opinion :hmmm:
Therein lies the issue. Not because crap interiors are worse than shoddy handling or glitchy physics but because when they are done right, they are one of those things I like to call 'details you notice without noticing'.

The interios do lack a lot of detail, pretty much none of the digital displays work excluding the raid and circuit specs, just look at Agera R cockpit the gauges literally look like they are stickered.

Some of cars have really bad camera position where you can literally see the top of the steering wheel and gauges only, and already mentioned steering wheel and camera wobble.

it wasnt unusable but it really could have been a lot better in my opinion.

Yeah but its a 2014 game, and as i said circuit and raid specs had them working so why they didn't make them for rest of the cars?

Nfs Shift is 2009 game and reason why i loved it is exactly cockpits, everything worked in them from digital speed read out, through temperature gauge to the mileage driven. It really gave you an immersion.

Was the map of the first game big enough to incorporate air travel, like GTA does with helicopters etc? That might play into the whole heist/wealth/beyond the road story line. Not sure how likely this is though, but I think I'd enjoy a game with GTA style air travel but with proper car physics on the road too.

That MX-5 interior looks decent enough up there, but any improvements won't be unwelcome.

With the exception of adding loopdeloops, etc for the Summit monster trucks, odds are that the devs responsible for making maps and assets haven't really had a heap to do for TC1 since it released in late 2014. A 2018 release for TC2 means they get around 4 years, which is less than TC1, but they already have a proven game engine and a whole bunch of assets (i.e. trees, buildings, signs, etc) that could be reused to some extent. So it's not impossible to rule out a completely new location, although I don't think I'd mind if the ol' USA were still accessible (in addition to a new area).

The single biggest problem with interior camera views imo which sadly was never addressed was the built-in fidgeting both of the steering wheel movement and the camera view. When my own head and steering wheel moves in the real world having the game do something else breaks immersion and can even make me feel ill after a while. If they add VR support for TC2 then they would absolutely have to turn that off.

When I gave up trying to make it drive like a sim and just grabbed a gamepad and 3rd person view it wasn't too bad in the end, especially with those online police chases.

And for @Ozzmcom's sake they need to sort out the upshift sound. :)

and dont forget the auto-brake

• 4 weeks later...

I saw last night on social media that The Crew 2 E3 trailer was posted early on their Facebook and someone grabbed it and put it on YouTube, but it was pulled before I noticed it on there. However 'Beyond The Road' is the truth, as there's talk of boats and planes this time! Not to mention that reaction from those who did see it is quite mixed.

The official reveal is only a number of hours away now, so we will all be able to judge it for ourselves.

It's just something that adds a new dimension to your typical racing game. They need to make sure the vehicles feel right otherwise it will be a lot of effort for probably nothing. And should they be sticking with the RPG element then they need to drive (npi) the fact that the handling sucks at the start but will get better as you progress.

That could be a non-starter for many though if it remains.

If [MENTION=1227]Leadfoot[YT][/MENTION] were still making those TDU movies I'm sure he'd appreciate having boats and planes built in. Also @BeSweeet was into flying hacks for TDU2. I've not yet seen the trailer so can't comment. If they're adding boats and planes well then they had better allow us to drive the trains as well.