We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need for Speed Payback {DT} - General Discussion Thread

[headline]Need for Speed 2017 – First Image, Brief Details & No Always-Online Requirement[/headline]

1494350603Need-for-Speed-2017-first-image_20170509-e1494350640474-800x300.jpg

Need for Speed is back in 2017 and the first official look at the game has been released, along with small bits of info in relation to the direction it is heading.

For starters let's get one of the main points out of the way, there will be cars... sorry, couldn't resist that one. No, the one major surprise...

Read more on this...

The handling was dire, simply because the game would interfere so much with steering and grip. The modifying was on the right track, just lacking for some cars. The one thing this game did better than most recent games was the map, in my opinion. It wasn't large by any means but it had atmosphere. And the sounds were pretty great, I loved how they would actually change when you tuned your car, something which even NFS Underground had. (I'm looking at you Forza)

• 3 weeks later...

As the countdown to the 'June 2nd' date nears, the official Need for Speed tweeted this image.

Need-for-Speed-2017-cloudy-image_20170530.jpg

After a little tweaking with levels and blending modes we get this:

Need-for-Speed-2017-cloudy-image_20170530-tweaked.jpg

At first glance you might think Seattle or even Las Vegas and you could be right, as where the game is set is likely based on a location rather than takes place there. There's only a few days to go before we get our first real look at it anyway on June 2nd.

Once again another Need for Speed game based in USA. Surely I'm not the only over it? Am I right in thinking we haven't had NFS feature other countries since Hot Pursuit 2 (2001)? - excluding the Shift games of course. Forza must have proven that other locations sell.

At least we know it's got day time now.

Cheesy story but intriguing. Las Vegas sounds a bit boring but perhaps they've included some of the surrounding mountainous areas. For some reason this reminds me of NFS Undercover and NFS The Run.

SMS were rumoured to have recently signed a deal to make an action racing game (many presumed along the lines of Fast and Furious) as well so I wonder how they're feeling.