We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community development: Project DRIVE (working title)

TDUZoqqer

Would you say the focus is on 'just cruising' or on 'playground' areas\games (i.e. think Burnout Paradise or Forza Horizon)? - the latter might make up for any shortfalls in handling and be fun for forum members to muck about in. All the best with it.

I'm afraid custom events are above my level of programming yet. I can make basic AI race you but they all would be really primitive and easy to beat. For now, the goal is to make a more or less solid concept to work on, what happens after that - i dont know. I might have a basic idea of how to create open world events later then, but not yet, I'm afraid

That's a big and cool project, I wish you the best for it!

I don't know anything about coding, but I have a solid experience in modding for shift 2 and now for pCARS, so if you think I can help you in some way, tell me. I would be happy to work on this promising project ;)

I'm happy for every single voulenteer! Let me know what you can do and I'll find something for sure. At the moment I need to setup basic functions for one car, but when I'm done, you might help me rigging cars - when you are able to do that. Otherwise - Materials, unwrapping and texturing would be really appreciated.

Was surprised to see all the lights working and the sunlight flowing across the bodywork, guessing this is because of the game engine you're using having a lot of this built in?

We're lucky UE4 has some post processing activated by Default. on the flip side, it is the characteristic unreal engine graphics we are running at the Moment, unless I will Color grade it somewhen later (what most likely will happen any time soon), the graphics will tell later that it's unmistakeably running on UE.

The reflection is coming from the shaders UE4 offers with some tweaking I did, although many of the shaders are not final yet - car paint shaders are quite difficult to achive to look realistic - as an example how good car shaders look like, which I can't program yet:

storecarpaintscreenshot2-1920x1080-978b7c1813507ecf09aad300277991b8.png

My shaders are really caveman-style, whilest the example is in year 3017. I definitly Need to work on them a bit :) same with carbon fiber. Might not be visible in the example Videos, but on cars with bare carbon fiber pieces it will be really important. That has a lot to do with layer coats, anistropy and translucensy (it might Sound chinese to you guys - anistropy is the fake direction Switch on the surface like you can see on carbon fiber, translucensy is basically the transparency of the upper coat of the car paint, etc). We'll see. I Need to figure out those things, but it's more of a Detail Topic for later :) Unreal engine offers amazing automotive shaders on their market place, but - ugh. $15..

EDIT: Oh yeah, please Keep in mind - I'm not trying to make an AAA game. I could leave the shaders as they are, as they aren't really bad, but I think it's better to work on something when it's totaly realistic to improve when you dig in it a Little bit and not just giving up :)

*EDIT END

In the meanwhile, my Goal is to fix some minor things this week. Like, the caliper rotating together with the front wheels by turning (now it's static), physics tweaking (gear ratios and tire friction), camera Setups - at least the Switch between first Person and chase cam, and maybe bring HUD needles to work.

Still looking for someone who can draw me some UI design sketches, or any GUI sketches in General - for menues etc. Otherwise that will be the Topic for next week.

Greetings :)

:bump:

Just a short dashboard demo. Just got to setup the needles tomorrow and the dashboard is done. :) it has digital gear display, speed, clock, session- and lifetime mileage. Many warning/signal lamps are glowing aswell, like hazard, fog lights, indicators, high- and lowbeam, parking brake and low fuel level. Also gonna finish the base camera setup and set steering wheel movement, then I can go on to finetune the level. Working on the weather and stuff like that.

Also, mirrors are working great. Window wipers work like a charm, and car physics are slightly improved.

Apparently I had the Automotive materials pack from unreal purchased already, but it turned out they are way over the top for a (yet) so simple game like mine is. So I'll just gonna leave them like they are for now and work on them later somewhen.

By the way, there is a guy on youtube of the name Math B streaming vehicle scripting, shout out to him, as his tutorials are insane and helped me a lot with my project.

More pics and vids later this week :) Hopefully with basic UI then.

Best of luck with your project Zoqqer, I'd be glad to help, yet I've no time for this ...

However, if you need some tools/scripts or help with coding, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

And the most important thing is ... have fun and experiment! It always pays somehow :cool:

Best of luck with your project Zoqqer, I'd be glad to help, yet I've no time for this ...

However, if you need some tools/scripts or help with coding, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

And the most important thing is ... have fun and experiment! It always pays somehow :cool:

Sounds cool, thanks for the offer! Although I don't quite know if and how UE4 can Support third-Party Tools just yet :mhmm:

Anyway, I adjusted some materials, animated the gauge needles and steering wheel yesterday, but all of the sudden screwed some things up and all Looks really bad right now. I'm gonna Need to fix it before I can Show some WIP vids here :) Might be a 3DS Max Export issue, so it might take a bit till I find out what it is. :bsad:

Sounds cool, thanks for the offer! Although I don't quite know if and how UE4 can Support third-Party Tools just yet :mhmm:
I don't know about UE4 engine mechanics still, just offering help to potentially get assets from other games (in respect to copyright, of course :D )

For my part, I will explore unity development in my spare time (would address wider range of devices, but with less advanced features than UE4, for sure !)

I don't know about UE4 engine mechanics still, just offering help to potentially get assets from other games (in respect to copyright, of course :D )

Of course copyright, I always tag people :nods: I'm still looking for some garage assets. I modeled Garage Condo as the demo garage space ingame (This to be exact), but I suck at prop modding, not talking about that I don't even have time for it. So if anyone got an idea where to get some assets from - just bark! :)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind, the Google Sketchup warehouse models seem to be just what I am looking for for first :)

For my part, I will explore unity development in my spare time (would address wider range of devices, but with less advanced features than UE4, for sure !)

You most likely will find your way through Unity more than me. Also gave Unity a shot - even managed to make a veeeeeeeeery primitive racing game - but since it's only C++ and Java based -- and I don't know neither - I gave up really quick. Unreal might be less of a favorite for a car game, but for me it's easier. Everyone's own cup of tea tho :)

PS: I finally managed to un-screw up the game. Sat the whole afternoon, set everything back like it was, but gauge needles are still off.. Well, screw that. Gonna fix it later. Quick WIP update Vid tomorrow :)

:bump:

I promised you a WIP video today - here it is!

Sorry that it's so dark, Krut decied to screw up the quality.

I didn't show some things, I realized later. Window wiper works, although it need some adjusting. Windows are about to work, but not yet. Gauge needles are obviously out of place, but they are technically working too, so it's fine for now. Also, I put some basic materials on the interior of Condo, although as you can see it's far from being done. Still requires a lot of modeling and texturing (and lighting, obviously). Camera's work "meh" too, need to fix it somewhen. Also the rear view mirrors are working, but are kinda glitchy, probably gotta hit up some guys from the Unreal Forum about it somewhen.

Sooo, yeah. That's the progress. Working on it 5-6 hours a day, result is quite nice if you think about that I didn't know any relevant information about programming a game about two weeks ago. :)

Let me know what you think. Criticism and suggestions welcome.

That's very nice features and great car choice to begin with :D

On the other hand, do you plan to show what is current state about physical engine ? (dampering, jumps, collisions, weight transfer, drifting ...) Having this large, flat playground makes it difficult to watch for vehicle behaviour.

On the other hand, do you plan to show what is current state about physical engine ? (dampering, jumps, collisions, weight transfer, drifting ...) Having this large, flat playground makes it difficult to watch for vehicle behaviour.

:whistle: :run:

Yeah, I know the Level is not the very best to show-off the physics Situation, I am about to make some roads and stuff to have at least a Basic sense of Speed in the debug. Although the main physics isn't REALLY the top notch to show-off just yet. Yes, everything works in theory, but adjustmets is the key. Springs on cars like the Murciélago are very stiff so there is not much room for playarounds actually. Speed is nice, its capable of making real-world 325 km/ph and stuff. Unfortunately the engine works only with a torque curve, which is not really accurate, in Addition to that. had to Setup 400nm of torque at 0 rp/m to make the car at least hit 100 km/h in under 20 seconds (ugh). Maximum torque Output had to be set up to 800-ish so the Transmission could work with it. So yeah, not quite a sim.. Talking about Transmission - gear ratios in UE4 are the weirdest Thing ever. I think it's somewhere like that: 1-1.8, 2-1.6, 3-1.4 etc.. So also, not really what I was aiming for. Realistic numbers made the car slow AF. But AWD differential works like it should. That's something, I guess. :lol: Gonna Show a physics demo as soon as I have a debug Level.

Does UE4's physics engine supports softbodies?

It could definitely improve physics realism (and also gives nice car damages, like BeamNG did).

Anyway good luck with your project, you seem to be already on a good path. :)

(btw imo you should reduce bloom intensity at night, or interpolate the camera exposure to avoid moon über-shininess :D)

Does UE4's physics engine supports softbodies?

It could definitely improve physics realism (and also gives nice car damages, like BeamNG did).

Yeah it does for sure, personally not quite in the progress and level to try it out right now, I got to be honest :) Gonna give it a try later somewhen, when I'm a bit more into the engine.

E: UE scripters say Soft Bodies are not possible in UE. Idk. Don't need to try then. :cheeky:

(btw imo you should reduce bloom intensity at night, or interpolate the camera exposure to avoid moon über-shininess :D)

Ugh, yeah, post processing is still really basic and barely adjusted. Only disabled auto-exposure, as it was annoying as hell at night. Made the night brighter than the day :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions :)

It looks great right now :D I did a lot of modifications to the TDU (for your own use) but as you said too much in this game could not be changed ... I would like to help in making this new game but my experience with programming are weak :( In TDU I focused on creating new better quality textures, so programming unfortunately I do not know how it working. I keep fingers crossed for this project :happyspin:

PS:Sorry for my bad english but this is not my native language :sorry: