We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community development: Project DRIVE (working title)

TDUZoqqer

Okay guys, won't finish it till mid September, the Preview wont be delayed too long though!

But dont be sad, I might have Another (very small, but still) Preview for you, hopefully even this week!! It is a sneak peak of a function I am worked on the last days. Mostly for optimizing and globalizing, so mostly just for me to Show off some work i spend on more time than you might Imagine :P stay tuned!! Like said, its not big, but enough to Show to you!

Also guys, I need your Feedback! What kind of cars would you like to see? What kind of tuning, what kind of Features? Let me know! Rims, cars, bodykits, And so on! I have a Basic car list, but as you guys know me it is 90% based on supercars and I actually want some variety. Let me know what you like!

I'd like to see 90's cars. :lol: Mostly JDM ones. Del Sol CRX, Integra, NSX, R33 Skyline, R34, R32, Mitsubishi 3000GT, RX-7 FD, RX-7 FC, MX-5 NA, NB. Also 90's Supercars, like F50, XJ220, EB110, F1, 911 993, Diablo SV...

And as tuning goes, replace exhausts, and suspension, and when you do so, if possible, it also gets a bit lowered. Rims, i don't mind, and bodykits i don't mind either.

I miss the most cars like Golf IV R32, Fiat Punto, VW Jetta, Golf II GTI, which can be found on the streets but in the most sporting versions. I think that this game could really stand out because there are no such cars in new racing games.

I am waiting for the testing version :nuts:

This project looks very promising; I'm impressed with where its at already. Great job.

As for cars, I like the following:

BMW E30 M3, Toyota AE86, Honda S2000, Subaru 22B STi, Ford Crown Victoria, Abarth 595 esseesse, Ruf Yellowbird, Ferrari F355, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, C2 Corvette...

...also Milli already covered a lot of good ones, especially RX-7 FD & FC, MX-5 NA, McLaren F1, Porsche 993, Diablo SV.

I'd like to see 90's cars. :lol: Mostly JDM ones. Del Sol CRX, Integra, NSX, R33 Skyline, R34, R32, Mitsubishi 3000GT, RX-7 FD, RX-7 FC, MX-5 NA, NB. Also 90's Supercars, like F50, XJ220, EB110, F1, 911 993, Diablo SV...

kk, added them. Got the supercars anyway :cheeky:

And as tuning goes, replace exhausts, and suspension, and when you do so, if possible, it also gets a bit lowered. Rims, i don't mind, and bodykits i don't mind either.

Yeah, no big deal. Actually thought about some specific parts you might have in mind for any car. Like special bumpers or stuff.

Powerful sedans (ie BMW M3 and equivalent), sports cars, track day cars. Fun, powerful cars capable of powersliding. :)

Got you, got covered many of them already :duck:

A suggestion as a little funcar:

trabant-tuning.jpg

Ehm.. Uh.. I... I will think about that. :hmmm:

I miss the most cars like Golf IV R32, Fiat Punto, VW Jetta, Golf II GTI, which can be found on the streets but in the most sporting versions. I think that this game could really stand out because there are no such cars in new racing games.

Golfs ain't a problem, gotta add a few to the list. Jetta is an issue as it's not in any game I could rip the model from afaik. Lmk if I'm wrong. Punto, you gotta tell me which exactly.

This project looks very promising; I'm impressed with where its at already. Great job.

Thanks a bunch :tup:

As for cars, I like the following:

BMW E30 M3, Toyota AE86, Honda S2000, Subaru 22B STi, Ford Crown Victoria, Abarth 595 esseesse, Ruf Yellowbird, Ferrari F355, Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, C2 Corvette...

...also Milli already covered a lot of good ones, especially RX-7 FD & FC, MX-5 NA, McLaren F1, Porsche 993, Diablo SV.

Alright, I got you!

By the way, here's the car list so far:

list

Before you read it and call me crazy for the amout of cars - it is very very very very important to read the very first line of text in the sheet! :)

Preview gonna be online tomorrow at 6 pm (of my german time here.. Meaning 5pm your time). It will be online till next friday, the 24th! Both, link and file expiring time. Stay tuned! And as always I appreciate any kind of input :)

Okay! So I hope it works! I never compiled an application for public before, so I hope it will work on your systems without problems :D

May I present you, the first Project: DRIVE preview! It is, in fact, a small preview. Not very thrilling just yet. But it is just to show you guys that I am ACTUALLY working on something :D Hope you like it! If you will have any kind of problems by opening or running, let me know!

Download:

32-Bit

64-Bit

Installation: uhm.. Just extract to desktop I guess. Worked by me.:laugh:

PS: Don't worry, I have no idea how to develop malware, so you can be sure there is none inside :rofl:

I tested for a moment and I want to praise:

1. Really great animations (direction indicators, switching on lights and others)

2. The lighting looks really good. Great attachment to details.

3. I liked the interface, it looks simple and clear what I like.

4. The model cars looks pretty good.

I hope that the driving model will be good (Forza Horizon, in my opinion, has a perfectly balanced between arcade and simulation).

Are you planning support for pads from x360 / xo?

What will the open world look like? Do you have a vision in your head?

Music in the game ... Do you already have any songs selected? I can help! ;)

I tested for a moment and I want to praise:

1. Really great animations (direction indicators, switching on lights and others)

Thanks a lot :) eventhough it was quite a pain in the butt to put in all the logics correctly, I am also very happy it is working as intended. In fact, this was an important task, as now I only have three functions to work globally on every single car - startup, event and frame check. It will save me like 2 hours for putting in new cars in the future, and cancel a lot of redundant coding.. Which is in terms of my car list quite some time already.

2. The lighting looks really good. Great attachment to details.

I tried to keep the atmosphere quite dark as it was setup to see the lights the best. I kinda like the design, though, thinking to work with it in the future in one way or another.

3. I liked the interface, it looks simple and clear what I like.

Hah, thanks. In fact, I made up the UI in an hour as I needed to rush and actually finish it at some point :rolleyes: Have some minor ideas how to continue the UI throughout the game, but also have 2-3 ideas for new, cooler design. I really like the UI of "Super Street, the game" which is in development right now, might adapt some elements of it here and there. We'll see. But as mentioned some times before, I am not an UI designer, so if you have ideas, just throw them in.

4. The model cars looks pretty good.

Can't do nothing wrong with Forza models :D

I hope that the driving model will be good (Forza Horizon, in my opinion, has a perfectly balanced between arcade and simulation).

Ehh.. Might have to disapoint you. It most likely wont be at Forza level at any point, as making physics is extremely difficult and I'm not a geek in physics either. To that, I can only refer to one of my previous posts here in the thread:

HERE

Are you planning support for pads from x360 / xo?

Definitly. Driving level works with XO controller already. I just didn't have time to adapt it to the preview aswell yet, to be honest. But yes, XO will be compatible, hope for G27/G29 aswell, but this will be waaaaaay further in the future.

What will the open world look like? Do you have a vision in your head?

Also with that, I refer to my post previously, where I talked about that a bit in depth :)

HERE

Music in the game ... Do you already have any songs selected? I can help! ;)

I am super bad at finding music. I mostly listen to two genres, which is Metal and Rap, and I want to keep the things more diverse than that. Also I listen to a lot of sountracks of other games, and putting those in mine wouldn't feel right (I like the NFS OST's but that would be blasphemy).

Also in terms of music, the regulations for sharing music over the internet is a bit different than sharing 3D-Models or other assets. It might be concidered piracy, so it's not that easy. Would need licensed tracks, but as I don't have EA budged, it most likely won't happen :D Definitly gonna take a look at how to make users throw in their own tracks into the game.

Physics looks pretty good in the movie. Maybe it's not the level of Forza Horizon, but it looks like something that gives fun to drive (which is mainly about racing games)

However, as for the open world, here I would be more recommended to go into diversity (small cities, mountain areas with winding roads, forests, motorway section) Deserts are not very interesting, just like the snowy area (they quickly become boring). The world should be LIVE but it does not have to be huge. Planes, balloons in some areas, lots of birds, people in front of houses (even 2d models), various buildings, a vegetation movement with a wind direction and many more attractions, so that the player does not get bored. I know that these are requirements from the space, but since I can share the opinion, why not write it? :D I have a lot of ideas about creating the world, unfortunately I'm too stupid to put it into practice.

And what about music available for free? There is a lot of music on the net to use them for YT movies, does it work differently if you make the game? It is always possible to write and ask the authors to make a given song available but I wonder if anyone will agree to do it for free as part of the promotion in the game.

Physics looks pretty good in the movie. Maybe it's not the level of Forza Horizon, but it looks like something that gives fun to drive (which is mainly about racing games)

Isn't that fun just yet. Still needs a lot of polishing. That's why I won't release the physics level as a preview so soon.

However, as for the open world, here I would be more recommended to go into diversity (small cities, mountain areas with winding roads, forests, motorway section) Deserts are not very interesting, just like the snowy area (they quickly become boring). The world should be LIVE but it does not have to be huge. Planes, balloons in some areas, lots of birds, people in front of houses (even 2d models), various buildings, a vegetation movement with a wind direction and many more attractions, so that the player does not get bored. I know that these are requirements from the space, but since I can share the opinion, why not write it? :D I have a lot of ideas about creating the world, unfortunately I'm too stupid to put it into practice.

You basically described Horizon 3 :lol: I think our Berlin area is quite diverse. It also will save me a lot of time to go to locations for references :D

And what about music available for free? There is a lot of music on the net to use them for YT movies, does it work differently if you make the game? It is always possible to write and ask the authors to make a given song available but I wonder if anyone will agree to do it for free as part of the promotion in the game.

Royalty free music is mostly sh.t. My opinon :rolleyes:

btw: rainlight seems not to be working. The rest works fine.

Oh wow i expected everything but an 11 Minutes video :O very cool thank you! I got to admit i never even Tested it for so long lol :D

Rain light only works on the Gumpert :) the rainlight is a function from the motorsport so road cars like F40 and M5 dont have it. Its not the fog light! :D

Wow, excellent work Zoqqer! Modelling looked promising, but with every animations looks even better ;)

I tried it out; great work. I especially like those F40 pop ups.

Thank you :) Glad you like it!

By the way, as far as I know, there is one single bug in the function I kept as I didnt want to spend time fixing it. It is so incredibly insignificant that i dont even bother telling you what it is. You will most likely never realize in the further versions even, its that small. I mean unless i decide to fix it (what I most likely will do anyway). It bothers me a lot, but noone will ever see it :D downside of being such a perfectionist

Hello :) The "main" body customization menue is 90% done (logics-wise, it still looks horrible), so i just started to brainstorm for the rims menue which will follow the body menue.

rimsmenuevnfh2.png

What do you think? Any more ideas? Anything unclear?

The circle is just an event for the system to check which brand is applied so it loads the writings for this brand. So it is not player-input related.

The lines with the yellow icon are not "buttons in the panel" like the regular squares, but an action you can toggle. Tricky to explain. Like, you press "X" no matter which button you have focused, and it will sync. Hope you get it. Idk which example to show.

The suspension menue is just a single slider-menue, similar to the one from Need for Speed 2015.

Let me know, I am happy for any kind of input :)

Small update, this is the rim menue progress so far:

rimsmenueu2dm7.png

And with aftermarket rims, (I only have two ingame for debug purposes, so don't judge my taste in that), it looks like that:

untitled-115dks.jpg

Sorry for blurring, I just don't want people to focus on the environment as this is still very very very ugly

Small update :) Logics-wise it's on the right path. The slightly more difficult parts left to do. Tires need two new Databases and new textures, so it's not as quickly done as the rest. The suspension tune menue needs a whole new interface I didn't create yet, so it's another tricker.

The sync buttons on the other hand are easy as cake, so I will just leave it till the end. They don't require much work, probably half an hour only.

untitled-1rsikb.jpg

For the UI, I will most likely take some inspiration from NFS Payback with my own nuances. It really is pretty much what I like about car game UI.