We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Community development: Project DRIVE (working title)

TDUZoqqer

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, small update time.

I keep it short as there is still a lot to do:

out of the 4 main customization panels of the demo, two are working 90%, one is not connected yet and one remains to be made. One of the "nicely progressed" panels has 3 logics issues left, although they aren't quite easy and require some time for a workaround. I'm on it. The second is mainly UI. The wheel panel still needs the sync buttons, but it's quite easy to do. The suspension tune menue will be made when the rest is finished, otherwise it won't make sense.

The not-connected panel needs tweaks in the main car file so this will have to wait till the end. Also, this one needs some extra logics for some circumstances, this will be literal nightmare to do.

Graphics looks very good (in my opinion). A lot is still dependent on me modeling the environment, for which I have no idea what it should be hah. This will come after the logics and UI of the menue is done. I won't post any pictures of the ingame graphics till the release so you won't be spoiled :D

Controls are working 98%. Some little tweaks here and there left. Keyboard and controller both supported now.

I hope to have the demo done this year. Most likely it will be the 31st of December, but still :D

Greetings

Just wanted to give you a sneak peak behind the scenes.

This is a function I was working and (I think) just finished.

bodykitswydpb.jpg

This is the logics behind selecting a bodykit. Just selecting. Like, when you hover over a button this bodykit contains, without applying. "previewing" the bodykit before you purchase it. This badboy took me some day, a lot of nerves and even more coffee and cigarettes to complete. Who would have thought developing games is so difficult :lol: Just showing you so you won't be mad at me for not releasing 4 days ago. Sorry :D

PS: Before real game developers show up and tell me "hurr durr I would have make it in 2 hrs EZ". First of all, I am not a developer, I am a designer. I work visually by profession, and visual everything, that's how I spent my last 10 years with. Second, yes I know for such big tasks you better write code than visual scripting. But I don't know c++ so I develop all in blueprints eventhough it's not the best solution.

Graphics looks neato right now. I'm confident to have the graphics and environment setup done in a short time. Also I am working on the pause menue with settings right now, still a lot to do, but that's basically the last major menue to be created from scratch. Still have bugs here and there, but I'm on it.

not game developer, but web application engineer, currently swamped by amount of projects going on

jokes aside, good luck on your project, let me know if you need support from turboduck, as this is a community project,

we will eventually upgrade the current system which will provide hosting functionality, that will be open for mod shop file upload

Just because I randomly create new features I think are quite cool, I will post this little update:

rims with weighted center caps eg. Rolls-Royce are now a thing. Took me way too long to figure out how to do that, but it works. It's pretty similar to how Need for Speed Underground 2 handled spinner wheels, just with a slight tweak.

Note to myself: I hate physics.

E: I abandoned this, though, as the engine has a bug in the way I place down the caps. So it's either not attached to the wheel (falls off the wheel) or the position is very laggy when car is moving. This bug exists since unreal engine 4.7 or so, which is 13 versions ago, so I doubt it will be fixed any time soon.

E2: found a workaround. works now. Although it's not the most elegant and efficient solution ever.

Thanks! Cool, can't wait to see it

The thread is ready, here is its link: Various - A community project: "Around The Ground: Kish" [Official] .

I failed physics. Badly. A good requirement for a completely physics based project I guess.

The more I read your thread, the more I doubt if you are me... are you me? :D We kinda generally think just the same about the reason of our projects (TDU) and the stuff like that!! BTW, that is why I used a pre-made physics engine for my own video game!

Just wanted to give you a sneak peek behind the scenes [...]

Although I recommend C# instead of visual scripting, Alles sieht gut aus!

Nice! Gonna follow the thread now.

The more I read your thread, the more I doubt if you are me... are you me? :D We kinda generally think just the same about the reason of our projects (TDU) and the stuff like that!! BTW, that is why I used a pre-made physics engine for my own video game!

Hah, I am just an overenthusiastic piece of garbage who tries stuff he is not able to make :lol: But I guess as I have some knowledge about my project physics in particular, I will redo the physics from ground on one day or another. Or when the dude I watched the tutorials at releases his physics on the marketplace finally, I will get it, too. I perfer first, though.

Although I recommend C# instead of visual scripting, Alles sieht gut aus!

Visual scripting is literal cancer. But I can't write code. At my work we all use Unity and I can't help because neither I use Unity nor can I code. lmao.

Nice! Gonna follow the thread now.

Hah, I am just an overenthusiastic piece of garbage who tries stuff he is not able to make :lol:

:D I take it back, we don't look like each other!!

neither I use Unity nor can I code. lmao.

[ the emoji of PewDiePie with the "Hmm" figure :D ]

Btw, looking for more updates TDUZoqqer.

Edited by DΛN

Guys I know I suck in 3D modeling, compared to what they are looking for (despite the fact I am a 3D artist by profession, it's my main job and I know their requirements and workflow better than they self), but... should I?:

If it's free to apply then why not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I'd show my 3D models to Playground Games, if I were a serious 3D modeler!

BTW, Any updates for your project?

Not really, quite busy with real life projects at the moment. Okay, not quite, I've added the aftermarket Panamericana front grille for the G class yesterday. But no real logics updates just yet. Still have to finish some plate fitment issues before heading on to the last panel for the demo.