We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! - Getting scared in games

Eudemon

Am I the only one who gets scared while playing scary games? It's not only the horror games too, just games in general that surprise or have a build up in tension, lead you into a false sense of safety and then something happens on screen startling you.

I like and hate games like this. The fear and dread you feel while making your way through the game's setting and always being on edge that something is coming. Or the eerie music and ambient sound effects making you apprehensive about proceeding ahead.

Some examples that you would expect to hear me say are those from the Resident Evil series, Condemned, Silent Hill, Alien etc. But, I am also talking about Fallout, The Witcher and even tactical shooters like Rainbow Six. Those moments where something just appears to your side, from behind or that chill down the spine when you see something that isn't actually there. That last one happens to me quite a lot. Walk into a dark room and get a shudder at the belief I saw something in the corner of my eye only to look and see a piece of furniture or a damn shadow!

:fp:

The funny thing about this is, I can watch horror movies and the like pretty much no problem.

So come on, please tell me I am not alone with this?!

First encounter with a bloodsucker in Stalker SOC damn near made me crap my pants :cry: my next encounter in the underground with one wasn't that much better :hide: The Stalker series has some pretty good atmosphere as well.

Don't play enough games to have many scares :lol:

Got to say the samething. To this day it still scares the crap of me or the underground army base with the random throwing objects

Or some levels in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Metro series

Fallout & Skyrim do it for me, some of the lore is creep as! Proper pause the game, have a quick walk round the room and start again kinda thing.

Especially the massive spiders in Skyrim, as soon as I get the hint I'm about to encounter them I back off...

I guess this counts, but parts in the Yakuza games, more the brutality of some of the cut scenes. You know, because in based in the Japanese crime world you can guess its rather violent & gruesome at times.

Worst still, since the whole game is in Japanese (with English subtitles), looking away means you can miss important parts of the story... agh.