We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Gran Turismo released in Japan 20 years ago on PlayStation

Eudemon

[HEADLINE]20 Years Of Gran Turismo[/HEADLINE]

A legend was born this day 20 years ago in Japan, with the release of a racing game called Gran Turismo. It is unreal to think how long it has been since I first sought out interviews, previews and images in magazines and scoured for mentions of it in the accompanying disc's video footage, but it has, and it is still one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life.

Kaz tweeted a pic of the Gran Turismo 20th Anniversary birthday cake!

DRt9SoFUMAAaJSj.jpg

Powering my console up to hear that familiar ding and then be greeted with that masterful intro that had a remix of a top Manic Street Preachers track was a sight to behold. Beautifully paired up with the action going on and delivering a real racing vibe straight off the screen got you ready to race right from the moment the menu appeared.

Since then, the series has had its ups and downs and it's spawned countless competitors of varying quality but one thing that cannot be denied is that a Gran Turismo game still has its own distinct way of doing things - and this will continue to be the case no doubt with Kaz at the helm.

The excellent Gran Turismo fansite GTPlanet has done a piece on the history of the game that is well worth a read. :)