We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

tduck Version 3 - Hello Xenforo

Eudemon

[headline]tduck v3 - Xenforo[/headline]

Many many moons ago, we started life as Test Drive Unlimited Central and not before long did we realise that name is waaaaaaaaaaayyy tttoooooo long and so it was shortened to TDU Central, which then became even shorter to TDUC where the pronunciation of Tee Dee Yoo See became shorter still to tduck. And this is where we are at today.

Over the time since we first began from day one with vBulletin 3, we migrated to vBulletin 4 which was for better or worse, you decide, the next version of our community and now, a lot longer than I wanted it to be, we reach a new chapter in our history by hitting version 3 by switching over to Xenforo.

This modern forum will take a bit of getting used to but it shouldn't take too long to get to grips with. It's fairly user-friendly in most cases but there will be some cases where things are different and as much as I would like to repeat what gone before, the likelihood of that happening is very remote as I am too much of an idiot to mad scientist stuff together like I could before.

I'll give it a go when I can though! :)

Please feel free to comment and post about issues or any other strange gremlins and or queries you may have and I will do my best to answer and sort them. There will be a number of these at the start, as even though I have went through the settings and tested certain things, it's a given there will be things I have missed. So please, if you come across something, tell me about it.

Not to mention the huge amount of styling still needing done, along with user personalising and extra additional things like allowing Modders and such to have more edit time again.

Many thanks!

Diablo

Well, the issue i had/noticed you already adressed in the post above, which is the edit first post on the Mod section. :D

The changes are massive, yes, but as you said, nothing really complex. It's very easy to navigate. I like it.

P.S. these days of tduck being down, it got me a bit of tachycardia though. I thought that tduck wasn't going to be back... #anxiouspeopleproblems Lol

Haha yeah. I was kind of thinking it for myself a bit until I got in a groove and made progress. There has been so much done to get to this point that it's been 1) utter hell, but also 2) a hell of a learning experience. Not one I want to experience again anytime in the immediate future mind you.

For now I need to take a break and let my eyes and body readjust as the work certainly took it out of me.

Haha yeah. I was kind of thinking it for myself a bit until I got in a groove and made progress. There has been so much done to get to this point that it's been 1) utter hell, but also 2) a hell of a learning experience. Not one I want to experience again anytime in the immediate future mind you.

For now I need to take a break and let my eyes and body readjust as the work certainly took it out of me.

Haha fair enough. Take a rest Diabs, it's working and stable. You've made it. You can put the crash cart away. Lol

rip all the smileys

The popular ones will be coming back. Part of all the time taken was the complete clean-up and replacement of old bbcode and other items that were (and are?) rife on here.

Nice to see you'll be themeing it better though

Yep, by the end of the month there will be tweaks and changes made you can be sure of that.

Like I said originally though, I doubt I'll be able to cobble the same sort of things I could before as the coding standard of Xenforo is so much different to what vB was. And quite frankly, I was lucky to get by with what I did in vB. :confused:

Also want to archive a lot of the older stuff so wrong info isn't taken as current.

Wait, you mean it wasn't Tee Dee Yoo See???

Haha how did I miss that! :eek:

party of me was wondering how much work Xenforo might have done to assist transitions from vB

Party? o_O There is a decent enough importer provided by Xenforo along with some handy and helpful tools too. Members of the community have also created some really nice add ons that help with other additional conversions that might be wanted, some of whom have gone on to become a part of the main company itself. The hardest part of it all was actually locating the info on how to use it all. A lot of searching and my typical method of trial and error is getting me there... slowly but surely.