We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Top Gear Series 25 - Starts Feb 25th

Eudemon

Top Gear Is Back!

The new series of Top Gear starts tonight on BBC2 at 20:00 for us in the UK tonight and if the last series is anything to go by, it should be an alright watch. :) Harris, LeBlanc and Reid made for some enjoyable moments of motoring tv and this series is shaping up to be more of the same.

Kind of hoping Harris tones down the 'grumpy old man' shtick, as it gets old fast, and that an improved genuine relationship forms between them. So, all I'm looking for is some good action, great visuals, awesome sounds, some top class driving, and a fair amount of banter. Should be easy, no? :p

Well we are 20mins in and I am well happy with what's been on. Phenomenal production as always, excellent use of sound, and some excellent moments, that even though scripted, doesn't interrupt the action that much. And a special mention to Harris who is like a stunt driver himself.

[spoiler=Moment of beauty]That in-car view of Harris drifting round that truck trailer through that turn was glorious. :D Would loved to have seen it from a camera post or via a drone too.

On to the star segment now...

Okay, that was decent. Star section is always a bit flat but they cut it down to the main parts which meant it didn't take up too much time. And there was also some really good moments of what felt like at least, genuine banter, between them too which made it feel more natural.

Yeah, I enjoyed that quite a bit. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I shared my impression of the second episode but clearly I must have imagined it. :oook:

Anyway, the McLaren segment was amazing!! Watching Harris push the 720S and P1 through that glorious circuit with that production was just sublime. I never realised the 720S was that price either. That really shocked me! All that speed, performance and technology for £200k is damn impressive. :cool:

And then we got into the whole bigfoot and it kind of flatted out a good bit. Some nice scenes throughout at times but it just felt to be dragging on after about 20 mins, and I really wanted another topic to come on. Then, basically got the phone out and browsed on that.

I've enjoyed them all so far. Dare I say it, its a bit better than the grand tour.

Yes the BigFoot segment was quite dull and stretched out, but holy shit Matt can ride a bike.

I still find Rory to be a bit of a 3rd wheel and find him boring even when he's doing really interesting segment.

Plus I am getting really tired of Harris' not so subtle digs at the old crew. Him and Matt are much better drivers than J, R and J others so he doesn't need to be a git about it so often.

The Japan challenge was good, I just wish they'd actually try to sell their cars when they got back rather than trashing them just before they left.

The most recent episode could be one of the best in Top Gear's history in my opinion. The production quality on display throughout was seriously impressive. I really liked the small animations that accompanied and lead into some of the pieces.

Really glad Harris is there too. Buying an RX-7 and then driving it the way he did was class to see. Matt's choice turned out better than I expected, then again it was RWD so that kind of makes sense. Even Rory's piece had me stunned at times, especially the end segment with the LEGEND! What a sound!! :cool:

I never caught any of the digs at the old guard you are talking about but then maybe I just glossed over it as I tend to switch off a bit when Harris is talking in the studio. When he's driving the nuts off a car or taking part in a challenge he's alright, but off the cuff, he's very wooden.

[spoiler=Matt's Bike Skills]BTW I am not entirely convinced Matt was riding that bike for large parts of that display last week. Just like I would be amazed if a lot of the Skyline skills were by him either. :hmmm:

Also, was it just me being dumb or did they not have a guest this week?

He made his first dig within minutes on episode 1... something about traction control and supercars on their roofs.

I did think the animations were good but for me they just get in the way of the cars and only detracted that segment. It would be much better to see raw footage than something thats overly edited and stylised.... 'we' all complain about scripted moments but thats essentially what they doing be animating through every scene. Leave it raw and flawed and it will look way better.

I've seen a few places previously of Matts bike skills so I'm inclined to believe the footage was of him... he wasn't pulling anything too technical anyway (for a competent biker at least)

Sorry for the swear earlier

Kind of a new type of mini-special, reminded me a bit of Mighty Car Mods in a way. No guests, no Stig laps - refreshingly different, even if the first piece was bit OTT, and did we really need to be reminded of Stig's 'violent' Chinese cousin (cringe)? The very last scene with the lipstick had me laughing out loud :lol:

I don't think Matt has had any stunt doubles so far.

Well I missed the repeat but I finally caught up today and damn was that another good one. :cool:

I really liked the 70 year comparison between Piaggio and Ferrari and the way it cut from the road to on the track with Matt shouting and all the noise! Rory in the Camaro was well done too and flying in Sabine to help bring down his time was fun to watch. Albeit, her method of teaching leaves a lot to be desired but it definitely got results!

The guest was good enough, she really could handle the car well and was not afraid to push it. Harris was clearly impressed.

And what can you say about Track-tor. Man, that was such a surreal yet clever piece. The way it was put together and the, what I imagine to be mostly real reactions and talk of Matt and Chris, made for a properly entertaining bit.

Again, I have to give huge admiration for the production quality this Top Gear team is putting out. The wonderful environment and action camera shots coupled with the raw sounds are for me especially, really enhancing what is being seen on screen.