We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Test Drive Unlimited 3 On the rails !

ozcan

YESSS ! Finally the day that all TDU fans waited for ! Few days ago I bought Kylotonn's WRC 8 and it's even better than V-Rally 4 and WRC 7. Their games really improved since WRC 6. So I'm sure there's nothing to worry about TDU3. For me it's need to be at least better than TDU2 and nothing more.

And thanks for this info ozcan 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Brasil sounds good for the visual environment, but i have no idea what the roads are like.  @Milli ???

I'm still waiting for Japan or New Zealand's southern island to be featured.

Searching for TDU3 Brazil returned these results:

If they want to release on the Epic store that's fine, but I really hope they don't make it exclusive for any amount of time because I'm avoiding installing their software more than I've avoided Facebook for the last decade.

If they point out Epic for some reason, it's pretty certain gonna be a 1-year exclusive. We already seen this with Borderlands 3, Metro: Exodus, Statisfactory and bunch of other stuff. I mean I don't care, since I am using the launcher for Unreal engine anyway, but I fully understand the concerns, especially after the "gamers bad (tm)" statement from the Ooblets developers. God, this was awful.

PS: Bigben's "Overpass" is an Exclusive, so why wouldn't TDU3 be 😕

I have no idea why that reddit rumor picked up any steam.
Everything in there is common knowledge, anyone could've posted that. My guess is some South American kid lol.
I doubt it because when you're resurrecting a franchise, chances are you'll play it safe with the location.

So far this is all we have to go by:

169923198_tdu3-qbzi2i7ryez21.thumb.jpg.23f13c127e8d930178e120a5651e7d86.jpg

802827223_tdu3-1pqe2u7ryez21.thumb.jpg.638fff95cf402b126aef00b887478d09.jpg

Edit: Also there was an image of an offroad path with rally tape. Can't find it, but anyway its interesting they did some work on Oahu. But of course it could all just be a demo area, especially because those pics are quite old.

Edited by TDU Iceman

Guess we'll just have to keep our eye and ears peeled  for info. Ah this takes me back to about 10 years ago when news of TDU2 was coming about! 

I'm sure like most of us I'd be happy if they redid O'ahu for a location, or Ibiza again. An sunny island, nice roads, good mix of cars and good handling would be top of the list. Oh and don't forget being able to pick your interior spec! Having the choices of carbon or aluminium trim in alot of cars was oddly a joy for me! (Aluminium being the choice for me) 

I hope since the publisher changed the general idea of the game is still the same. I hope to see just a TDU1 remastered with epic graphics and more options, but who knows if they don't just go the Forza route and scrap every configuration option to speed up development. Or if they go the Crew way and just make it some clusterf_ck of customization options which required you to upgrade to progress (which I didn't enjoy personally). The optimal way is the inbetween, but like I mentioned we got to see how the new developer let the studios execute their ideas.

So far I haven't seen any bad signs, other than the Epic exclusivity contract. But I give their publisher the benefit of the doubt because its probably a safe business decision to do that atm.

Whats interesting to me is they've really been pumping games out like crazy, and for the most part each one is relatively solid. Not perfect and the post-release support is lacking, but still pretty good efforts given their limited resources. And in contrast to that, they've been very tight-lipped on TDU 3. Even when confirming its development that information looked like it was coaxed out of them. This appears to indicate its going to be their big project, or "the one not to screw up."

For now everything seems alright. The V-Rally, WRC and Isle of Man games all have something in common.. open world areas (in the case of V-rally its a giant map with randomized stages). And physics appear to be improving with each WRC iteration.

It might be my negative persona speaking, but in my opinion the "tight-lipped"ness is more of a "were doing what we think is right and don't want any input from anyone", basically like "dont let the fans stand in our way in doing what we think is good". As if they expect the fandom to just eat it and pre-order instantly when they publish the first infos about it. I have TLOU2 in my mind, as a current example. If it wouldnt have been leaked, the fandom would just buy it to explore that the actual game, story and agenda is rubbish.

But like I said, I sincerely hope I am not correct on this and TDU3 will be spectacular. I really hope so.

And I really really hope Bigben and Kylotonn will perhaps get in touch with the community and the fandom. Even post release. With TDU, they perhaps hold the franchise with the largest fandom base they ever had, so it would be a bad idea from a marketing standpoint and horrific for the fandom if they would just distance themselfes from the community. Look at Playground Games with Forza, I think it's the best example as of how close a dev/fan relationship can be, at least in a racing game genre. Eventhough it's not perfect, they do listen. Please, Kylotonn, join the community and listen to what the fandom wants, since they are paying you, after all.

Edited by TDUZoqqer

I'm thinking if they were only re-releasing O'ahu, etc again they'd probably have released it by now (depending on the car count).  It will be great to have Oahu again but I don't think that would be all.  The images we see on their website definitely look like Oahu, but they could simply have been testing new tech in their game engine with the old location while the new location was still in early development.    We saw this with leaked 'TDU2' screenshots that clearly resemble TDU1 more than the sequel.

image.thumb.png.b1bbaad20bb7001ba901b7237819abe6.png

I'll be honest, Brasil does at first seem like an odd choice but at the same time knowing so little about that area would make it more fun to explore for the first time.  It reminds me more of the 'leaked' artwork pre-TDU2.  Maybe the entire rumor is falsely based off these old artwork assets.  Or maybe these assets were included in the acquisition which sparked real development in that direction.

image.thumb.png.1a796dce8d18db4f0e1fb68ea21b42b2.png

I only get to experience the thrill of discovering a new area once and I kind-of feel a bit ripped off in that sense when The Crew 2 came out with the same, albeit tweaked, map.

TDU1 proved that we don't need over-the-top features and game modes, just a good location, good netcode, good community, and a good selection of cars that handle well that make the player feel that they are really driving the car.  Ibiza was ok but you couldn't really cruise around the coast as you had to keep going inland and it was hard to remember which road to take to get back to the coast.  Oahu's map was much better in that regard.

For those who don't know, this place used to be called TDU-Central, or TDUC, which sounds like TDuck, now TurboDuck.

I remember the artwork (I think for TDU2?), the very very very early concept art where the black Murcielago transforms into a buggy. I can't find those anymore, but this was a massive "please don't" on my side 😄 glad they didnt bring in any of this yadda yadda into TDU2. Maybe it was an early artwork for the Crew though. Made by the same devs at least

Edited by TDUZoqqer

I like the fuel idea in TDU. The feature speeder introduced in P.Paradise was revolutionary, however after a while it felt quite monotone. Also, I felt that the fuel was burning way too fast, gas stations are very few on oahu so after a while it becaume a little annoying since you respawned 30 miles away from where you were. I think if there would be more gas stations, the fuel would last longer and would be saved in the savegame (so you dont go out of the game to reopen and you have a full tank again) would be super fun.

However one should see if it is super annoying in terms of gameplay and progression (races), then it should be skipped. But for cruising its awesome. I also hope turn signals will return.

• Ryzza5 locked this topic