We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TUTORIAL: HOW TO MAKE A SOUND MOD FOR TDU

Nick1999

• 3 weeks later...

Tutorial #2 Here is my tutorial inspired by Nick1999 , but using different (free) audio editting software

How to modify TDU1 car engine sound?

I have found youtube video with clean engine sound of the car of my choice and used this sound for a TestDrive Unlimited 1 car.
Result is not terrible and not too good. But here is how i did that:

1. Download TDUMT (TDU Modding tools 2) software Mini Bnk manager - https://github.com/djey47/tdumt2/releases

2. Open it and select appropriate .bnk file. For example C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\Sound\Vehicules\Enzo_FXX_audio.bnk

3. Click Load button, then click Unpack all button. Open appropriate .wav audio file located in the output directory you have defined. Open it in the Audacity software - https://www.audacityteam.org/
On the bottom, click "Start and end of selection" and instead define to show Length and end of the tracks, it is important later to see the length.

4. you can find on the internet appropriate videos/sounds: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ferrari+fxx+sound+onboard&atb=v126-1&iar=videos&iax=videos&ia=videos
You are looking for the rather rare, several seconds long sound which RPM is steady - same on the beginning and on the end.

5. Find online tool to convert your video into a sound. For example i searched: youtube to wav audio" and i found https://ytmp3.cc/en13/

6. add your sound file in Audacity and make sure it is mono, not stereo (track dropdown/arrow menu or the Tracks/Mix menu has the option). Stereo had issue playing right in TDU1. Find the part of the track with steady engine sound and highlight this part and copy this part into new track for future use.

7. double click original TDU engine sound track in Audacity to see its length and note the length.

8. copy the best (most steady sound) part that match the original sound track length into yet another new track leaving longer version for possible future use

9. click File, Export, Export as WAV and Save as type: Other uncompressed files, WAV, Microsoft ADPCM. Before confirming, you may backup original .wav sound before overwriting.

10. Now do the same for other sound file (possibly there are multiple files for each engine RPM and also files when the gas pedal is pushed and when it is released! so total maybe more than 6 files to make!) For each RPM audio file you may want to modify pitch (the Effects menu) or the Speed to make the sound different.

11. re-pack the sounds into a .bnk file using "Repack" button in the TDUMT software. The directory to select is in my case "C:\work\Enzo_FXX_audio.bnk" directory.
It saved Enzo_FXX_audio.bnk file which i then copy to C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\Sound\Vehicules\Enzo_FXX_audio.bnk (backing up original before overwritting!!!!!!!)

9. Launch TDU1 to see the result.

10. Save the Audacity session for future use and further work.

ISSUES:

- car makes no sound. I do not know the cause, but it helped to quit Audacity and TDUMT and start it again, load the original bnk file in TDUMT, unpacking and copying already customized audio files from previous unpack to new unpack and then repacking.

- the high RPM sound is not fluent in looping. Answer:
A) maybe your sound track is too short and not same length as original, try to increase length a bit, but possibly not more than 1 second above original track length? You can try playing your sound in loop (doubleclick track or click "Solo" button and then Shift+space or shift + play button) to see if the error is in different/non matching beginning and the end of your sound track - https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_looping.html . Then you can maximal zoom-in and find some anomalies in the sound/adjust it by a "pencil tool". You may find that there is a gap between the sound sequences (inc ase you had too short sound and used cloned/duplicated the sound to make it longer. Use menu Edit / Clip boundaries / Join.

Edited by vit-jan0

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kadencabs said:

I know im sounding dumb but can someone tell me what offhigh,offlow,offmid,onhigh,onmid,onlow mean because im confused trying to make a 350z sound mod

files with "off" at the beginning are the decelerating samples (when you're off the throttle), self-explanatory what "on" is then.

low-mid-high are the states of the revs. low revs are like 1000-3000 rpm, mid is 3000-6000 and high is 6000>. Obviously the numbers are an example and not specific in practical use since its depending on the rev range and the samples, but you get the point

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the tutorial, very useful! There's some things though I'd like to change and I do not know how to do it, these are gearshift, horn, windows and door sounds. I see some car soundbanks with custom sounds for the above (also, with some soundbanks windows sounds are missing in-game), but I can't figure out where to set them, are those set in CarVSTConfig.xmb or somewhere else?

Edited by tatarus39