We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU World patch roadmap

Djey

Hi Djey,

I have been tweaking the Physics.cpr file and was able to make it a little nicer to drive, especially with a wheel. We do plan to make changes to handling and physics further with the goal being bringing it closer to the TDU1 handling, hopefully we will be able to do this.

For now, I'd suggest trying out the CTR Physics Mod. I based my testing on this mod too. I'm interested to see if you notice the changes as well. I would suggest playing on 'Sport' driving aids instead of 'Hardcore'. This mod has an issue where the wheels lock up on Hardcore mode, no matter how softly you tap the brake.

As far as camera mods go, I'm not sure. I use the stock cameras from the game. What do you dislike about them?

Also, what are the things about the TDU2 physics/handling you dislike the most? Then we can see if we can improve on it.

ok thanks. I should make kinda list of weird things from TDU2 physics and will serve as feedback. Will post it here when I can.

Last physics mod I've tried is Veno's but with hardcore mode and brake issues you mentioned. As you said ctr mod may perform better in sport mode.

Concerning cameras, there's a weird 'back and forth' movement when some cars accelerate (noticeable in cockpit view and in 3rd person exteriors as well). This lacks smoothness and thus make an unrealistic effect.

4 hours ago, Djey said:

ok thanks. I should make kinda list of weird things from TDU2 physics and will serve as feedback. Will post it here when I can.

That would be great, thanks! I have my own things that I would like to see changed but I'm interested if other people have different things as well.

4 hours ago, Djey said:

Last physics mod I've tried is Veno's but with hardcore mode and brake issues you mentioned. As you said ctr mod may perform better in sport mode.

While reading through the CTR Physics topic I saw that there was a conflict between Veno and CTR, Veno claimed it was a plain copy. So they might feel similar or the same. But like I said, try it in Sport mode. That removes the locking wheels.

4 hours ago, Djey said:

Concerning cameras, there's a weird 'back and forth' movement when some cars accelerate (noticeable in cockpit view and in 3rd person exteriors as well). This lacks smoothness and thus make an unrealistic effect.

Ah yes, I know what you mean! I find it very annoying is well and I will see if it is possible to make it more static. I personally use the bonnet and cockpit cams so I don't see it that often, but it is still an annoying feature.

Okay, let's go for the list then!

But before this, I must say I'm not looking for perfection nor simulation,  not being sim driver. Good balance between arcade and simulation is FH3/FH4 for me.  Then comes TDU1. So it may not please everyone (as everyhing goes in life..).

My remarks are based on genuine TDU2 physics, as I still have to test CTR mod w/ Sport assists. Now playing with xbox one gamepad but tried G25 wheel when TDU2 was out. And I know that even some settings might be tweaked in game files, major part of the job is releated to physics engine sources or configuration that are hardcoded.

So as most of the points below can't be achieved with a mod, I couldn't blame anyone but the former devs for that 😛

Global driving feeling

Looks like vehicle is somewhat disconnected from the road. Hard to explain in fact, and it may be tied to many factors (animations, sound...)

- I think this bad feeling is due in part to the lack of proper vehicle animations when accelerating or braking. Depending on transmission, vehicle should bend more or less on its suspensions; those do not compensate, vehicle noise or tail do always look at same level.

- Same remark in curves

- Idiotic camera 'back and forth' effect  on some views when accelerating brings nothing but nausea.

Acceleration and shifting

- I guess clutch implementation is totally flawed or unexisting. Cars look as they have a 'perfect' gearbox with rude driver:  latency is just very low (even for vehicles with manual transmission). Shifting delays should be this order: automatic < sequential < manual < H-gate. I remember using clutch with a wheel, and it did act as a button, not an axis. ON=0% power, OFF=100% power...

- Acceleration is almost linear for each gear, not taking account power and torque curves much (not noticing effects of compressors and turbos for example).

- After up/downshifting, engine speed is almost immediately sticked to target transmission ratio without taking its inertia into account . Sometimes, we get a tiny sense of inertia, but a mechanism seems to force engine speed again.

Handling

- Vehicle movement is steep (linear again) in curves, strong braking should make turning easier by moving car weight to the front (at least when wheels are not blocked). In TDU2, steering efficiency in curves is only determined by vehicle speed and for sure a per-vehicle ratio.

Misc

- Although drag effect was too much in TDU1, TDU2 has none. Maybe half-way solution would be good?

- In air: brakes do lock,  we can notice it with a weird sound. Besides, vehicles tend to bend back-wise too much. In the end, lots of speed are lost before and at landing.

- Collisions: hitting some objects on the side of the road gives over-sized rubber effect, projecting vehicles even backwards (should stop in this case). 

Hope you see what I mean ... otherwise feel free to ask if some items are not clear. Those are tricky subjects + my english is more computing oriented than cars and mechanics...

Thanks for the detailed list! Some of these points were on my list as well but you added some good ones. Let's hope we are able to fix it as good as possible.

Also, did you try tweaking the controls in game? This already makes a huge difference in the way the cars feel, especially on a gamepad.

I think this was my last config before I got a wheel, try it out:

20200804173148_1.thumb.jpg.6370fe49b64ba0467bd4c9fb9e27c13f.jpg

1 hour ago, Djey said:

Nice I will try when I can! Picture could be part of kinda  install & run tutorial.

Thanks.

Yes, I think I will make some sort of tutorial for it. Since it is quite unclear.

Things like Steering sensitivity actually change Steering linearity, and 'Steering Damping'..? I'm uncertain what it does myself 😛

Hi,

just a thought, would it be possible to remove Tess announcements at very beginning of each race ? Or better, using some jingles instead (which would suit event type).

Globally, cut scenes and voices in this game are ridiculous. The less I get, the better I feel 😄

2 minutes ago, ///Λquarious said:

Yes, I think I will make some sort of tutorial for it. Since it is quite unclear.

Things like Steering sensitivity actually change Steering linearity, and 'Steering Damping'..? I'm uncertain what it does myself 😛

Damping might be the speed at which the wheels goes back to center position when releasing analog joystick...