We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

[FIX] Game freezes when opening map

StreetLordZ

On 2/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, StreetLordZ said:

Hi all I have a problem in the game.
    When I go to the map the picture freezes and in the background the game continues. Unfortunately, this also happens when I start a championship, as the map also opens for this. What can I do?

You probably have a graphics card that uses GDDR6 or GDDR6X memory (i.e. Nvidia GTX 16xx, RTX 20xx, RTX 30xx or AMD RX 5xxx, RX 6xxx). This new memory type causes issues when opening the map.

DXVK a.k.a. "RTX Fix"
    The most common fix is to use the RTX Fix .dll file. It will fix the map freezing issue, but could potentially cause game lag/stability issues also. I will attach it to this post, copy and paste in your TDU2 directory.

(Download only works after joining the club.)

d3d9.dll

I personally have an RTX 3070, and with the RTX Fix the game becomes laggy and unstable. Instead of freezing in the map view, it can freeze randomly now. That's why I use the following method myself:

Alt-Tab method
    When opening the map for the first time after launching, it opens on the most zoomed in view. This is the view where the game freezes, but does not actually crash. What you want to do is alt-tab out of the game and go back in while quickly zooming out on the map. During alt-tabbing back into the game, it becomes responsive for a second. When you succesfully zoom out, the game should work again.

Good thing: once you're zoomed out, the map will always open in that view, so it will not crash afterwards. Just don't zoom in too far 😉

Here's a video showing the method:

Hope this helps!

31 minutes ago, StreetLordZ said:

Thanks for the quick reply

Unfortunately no more input devices work only the ESC and T key.
    Steering wheel Logitech G27 and also the keyboard no longer go.
    I also tried to initialize the devices again but no success.

thanks for help

That is odd, try this:

Otherwise, try my alternative fix.

4 hours ago, StreetLordZ said:

Olá a todos, tenho um problema no jogo.
    Quando vou para o mapa, a imagem congela e no fundo o jogo continua. Infelizmente, isso também acontece quando eu começo um campeonato, pois o mapa também se abre para isso. O que eu posso fazer?

me add amigos Steam jogar junto o jogo ta lindo online meu roda tudo liso certinho

Just now, VinnyBruska said:

me adicionar amigos Steam jogar junto o jogo ta lindo online meu roda tudo liso certinho

VinnyBruska

• Aquarious changed the title to [FIX] Game freezes when opening map
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    在 2021/2/8 在 PM6點11分, Aquarious說:

That is odd, try this:

Otherwise, try my alternative fix.

This method has no effect on TDU2 that uses dxvk files. I found that when I use dxvk (d3d9.dll). The steam interface in my game disappears and the controller cannot be used. And unfortunately the alt+tab method has no effect on my game From the sad reminder users who use 1660ti.

Edited by ChineseSnakes

• 3 months later...

Thanks a lot, Aquarious, for all your hints and the fix. Actually this was the only issue I always had, also with the former (Steam) version).

My experience with TDUW is this:

- installed TDUW on my 32Gb RAM, Win 10 Pro and GTX 2080Ti PC/system. No nVidia Manager enhacements added. No administrator privileges ticked, no other compatibility adjustments made.

- that ALT+TAB tip unfortunately didn't work.

- without the fix, the game ran as a charm, all the graphic details were awesome. Opening the map drove me in deep troubles, black screen and freezing.

- with thhe fix, the game ran a little more slowly, but always stable. The graphic details became a little more "grainy", let's define them this way because I can't find other words to.

If worse, let's bear it this way. Hopefully this will be better one day.

With best regards to all.

Edited by JagHond

• 2 months later...
    • 6 months later...

I really Hope there will be a better fix one day. In my Case (RTX 2070 Super) neither the RTX fix nor the "alt-tab"-trick is working. While the "Alt-Tab"-Trick just doesn't work, the RTX fix just makes the stability so bad, that the game crashes even earlier than i would open the map for the next time. But, of course, without the map the game is just unplayable, because you can't enter any competition.

So I can just mention here, that this is still a problem that is not fully solved and hope that someone will find a "real" solution finally.

Best regards,

TH

• 3 weeks later...
    On 2/8/2021 at 1:07 AM, Aquarious said:

You probably have a graphics card that uses GDDR6 or GDDR6X memory (i.e. Nvidia GTX 16xx, RTX 20xx, RTX 30xx or AMD RX 5xxx, RX 6xxx). This new memory type causes issues when opening the map.

DXVK a.k.a. "RTX Fix"
    The most common fix is to use the RTX Fix .dll file. It will fix the map freezing issue, but could potentially cause game lag/stability issues also. I will attach it to this post, copy and paste in your TDU2 directory.

(Download only works after joining the club.)

d3d9.dll 2.71 MB · 243 downloads

I personally have an RTX 3070, and with the RTX Fix the game becomes laggy and unstable. Instead of freezing in the map view, it can freeze randomly now. That's why I use the following method myself:

Alt-Tab method
    When opening the map for the first time after launching, it opens on the most zoomed in view. This is the view where the game freezes, but does not actually crash. What you want to do is alt-tab out of the game and go back in while quickly zooming out on the map. During alt-tabbing back into the game, it becomes responsive for a second. When you succesfully zoom out, the game should work again.

Good thing: once you're zoomed out, the map will always open in that view, so it will not crash afterwards. Just don't zoom in too far 😉

Here's a video showing the method:

Hope this helps!

ive tried all of these and still doesnt work....ironicly im unable to zoom in or out on map, some championships work (like on the nort end of island,while others the game goes black screen and unresponsive...hella grrz cause i love this game!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    On 5/4/2022 at 10:23 PM, TracerHD said:

Can't even start the game with the "fix". I have not seen a game this shitty where a fucking map opening is an issue. 

My 6-core Ryzen laptop with 1650 GPU keeps having the same issue. I tried all the solutions but it keeps messing up on the map screen. We have to wait for a fix from the developer(s). A permanent fix. I guess an improved installer could fix this issue/these issues by applying the needed patches to specific systems. No matter what, Atari did not leave anything to desire to be lend or borrowed. The attitude with broke game developers is the same as with enriched developers. If I look at the shitty issues a game like GTA5 Online has. I quit playing that game and asked Rockstar to purge my level 400 character. The perspective here is that Rockstar don't give a shit about the players and neither did Atari. Rest in peace! I have other things to do 🥳

• 2 months later...
    • 7 months later...