We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Favourite Music - Of The Week: Discussion

Iced_Bullet

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RB26DETT

hmmmm. my first time posting here. hope you guys like my taste of music. :p

1. Sevendust - Enemy

2. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo (must watch this! awesome acoustic guitar instrumental!)

3. Metallica featuring The San Francisco Orchestra - Sad But True

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-JfWZFEiLZ0

4. Iron Maiden - Rainmaker

5. Rammstein - Mein Teil

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_F9bQPt4yU

• 1 month later...

Basshunter - Now You're Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GlP_fXn_I

Basshunter - Now You're Gone (50 Cent Remix)

Basshunter is a Swedish bedroom DJ/producer, a cyber geek who wrote a song about an experience with meeting a girl on the internet. The girl was called Anna, and the song 'Boten Ana'.

Basshunter sent it to his friends on the web, who forwarded to their friends, and so on until it ended up in the hands of a local radio DJ who played it out on air. After its first airing the station was inundated with phone calls to play it again and they added it to their playlist.

The track then went crazy, the whole of Sweden got caught up in the story about his love for a girl on the internet, and when it was released in Scandinavia it became the fastest selling debut single since Abba, and Basshunter their biggest selling debut artist ever!

Through word of mouse, the track spread and it became number 1 in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg - the first ever Swedish language hit in these countries. Germany were next, the song went top 10, something only Cascada & Eric Prydz have managed from the dance world, the track then hung about in the top end of the charts for 6 months..

..Fast-forward to the summer of 2007 and an English vocal version 'Now you're Gone' has become the most requested record in summer holiday resorts around Europe, due to it being the lead track on a mix cd by DJ Alex. As people return from their holiday's in Magaluff and surrounding islands desperate to get their hands on a copy it's clear that the Basshunter phenomenon is about to hit the UK!

Mod edit: please watch your language, thank you.

Oh my, I read the first page and the last page and can say... Is RB26DETT the only one with good taste in music?

You all listen to rap/dance/r&b/indie crap. Seriously? Come on people, get some rock or metal music, or better still go listen to something that people will say is "emo". At least there's musical talent in their music. Jesus christ.

If I have to, I'll say WHY the above types are rubbish:

Indie because the guitars are woody and weak sounding, it's horribly thin textured and the vocals and singers are usually completely bad sounding and have strong English accents...which sounds bad...

And R&B/Rap because it requires no talent to write one of those songs and they all sound the bloody same.

Also, Dance music. What the is that all about? Those songs usually have a 5 second beat which is repeated monotonously for around 4-5 minutes with one line of lyrics which is repeated once every minute.

Seriously...

--------------------------------

For my top 5 this week? Well as it's nearly the end of the week I'll do it. Here goes.

Numero Uno

Dragonforce - Trail of Broken Hearts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-1lHqyWwc

Numero Dos

Avenged Sevenfold - Strengh of the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhNwjANRTrA

Numero Tres

Numero Cuatro

Flyleaf - All Around Me

Numero Cinco

Oh my, I read the first page and the last page and can say... Is RB26DETT the only one with good taste in music?

You all listen to rap/dance/r&b/indie crap. Seriously? Come on people, get some rock or metal music, or better still go listen to something that people will say is "emo". At least there's musical talent in their music. Jesus christ.

If I have to, I'll say WHY the above types are rubbish:

Indie because the guitars are woody and weak sounding, it's horribly thin textured and the vocals and singers are usually completely ****ty sounding and have strong English accents...which sounds bad...

And R&B/Rap because it requires no talent to write one of those songs and they all sound the bloody same.

Also, Dance music. What the [insert word beginning with F and ending in K, with uc in the middle] is that all about? Those songs usually have a 5 second beat which is repeated monotonously for around 4-5 minutes with one line of lyrics which is repeated once every minute.

Seriously...

Seriously.

I can't tell a word most heavy metal says.

When driving along i don't want to be listening to some guy screaming at me over banging and crashing of drums.

As for emo music, i'd rather be alive thank you.

Now to defend dance music. Some dance music is very talented, take DJ Tiesto for example. He can get thousands of people dancing at one time, and his music is loved around the world. Dance music is uplifting, it's energizing and it helps move the day.

Heres an example of Tiesto in action.

DJ Tiesto - Adagio For Strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O666kGBEvF0

And here is some more great dance music.

Mark Brown Feat Sarah Cracknell - The journey Continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bkEUz47bUI

Take a look back to the nineties and look at all the great dance classics that came out then, most of which still get a lot of airtime these days. Surely bad music doesn't get airtime ten/fifteen years after it's original release.

R&B/ Rap - Yes most of this does sound the same but some recent releases that are very popular at the moment and are talented pieces of music are.

Kanye West - Homecoming (contains swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAIMCKK_-w

Lupe Fiasco - Superstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_K9zxsWrw

Are you seriously telling me that is crap?

And indie, theres many good indie bands around at the moment. So to give two examples that come to mind.

Kaiser Chiefs - Heat Dies Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNKxtnQtaw

And

The Wombats - Moving to New York

Now you can say all that music is crap if you want but a lot of people will disagree so just think about how many people you annoy with your comments (that included swearing - Which is unacceptable).

Baldred

I kinda get what Sensei is saying really (sorry). I listen to a lot of music, classic rock, prog rock, psychedelic rock, blues, metal aswell as other stuff, but i really don't get dance music, RnB (don't even get how its rytham a blues anymore, i like the proper stuff like The Who) or Rap. I can kinda see talent in some of the people doing this kinda stuff but most I just don't get.

yep i can understand that not everyone likes it, it was just the way sensei's post came across, sure you don't like something, but theres no need to insult it. And i know i kinda did the same in my post but that was to try and get my point across

Seriously.

When driving along i don't want to be listening to some guy screaming at me over banging and crashing of drums.

Now to defend dance music. Some dance music is very talented, take DJ Tiesto for example. He can get thousands of people dancing at one time, and his music is loved around the world. Dance music is uplifting, it's energizing and it helps move the day.

Heres an example of Tiesto in action.

DJ Tiesto - Adagio For Strings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O666kGBEvF0

And here is some more great dance music.

Mark Brown Feat Sarah Cracknell - The journey Continues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bkEUz47bUI

Take a look back to the nineties and look at all the great dance classics that came out then, most of which still get a lot of airtime these days. Surely bad music doesn't get airtime ten/fifteen years after it's original release.

R&B/ Rap - Yes most of this does sound the same but some recent releases that are very popular at the moment and are talented pieces of music are.

Kanye West - Homecoming (contains swearing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAIMCKK_-w

Lupe Fiasco - Superstar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_K9zxsWrw

Are you seriously telling me that is crap?

And indie, theres many good indie bands around at the moment. So to give two examples that come to mind.

Kaiser Chiefs - Heat Dies Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNKxtnQtaw

And

The Wombats - Moving to New York

Now you can say all that music is crap if you want but a lot of people will disagree so just think about how many people you annoy with your comments (that included swearing - Which is unacceptable).

Baldred

Sorry to start an argument or anything but the Rap and the RnB is utter rubbish. I know everybody has their own opinions but I wish to express my own opinions in a decent enough way.

When RnB was rhythm and blues that was when it was a very good genre, everyone was pleased with it but now where's the skill in RnB? Its computer generated music to a singer. Its ridiculous.

In heavy metal, they don't use very many computer effects and the music they play is done by themselves without any managers telling them what to do to get famous. It may be indistinguishable but I would rather listen to Slipknot then Kanye West going on the M25 in a car home.

Metal music is brilliant for being able to calm down when your angry, it acts as a ibuprofen tablet with headaches but on a much faster scale. Its so good for that it doesn't get people in jail for abusing people.

The metalers have much more talent then the RnBers by a mile. How many RnBers and rappers do you know who can play instruments? I can't even count a single one.

Now it comes down to rap. I admit, I like some Eminem songs as they have some the the best lyrics ever. But who likes fast talking? Have you heard the fastest rappers? They sound like they're talking whole load of garbage, you can't distinguish the words.

I listen to Linkin Park who has a rapper in it, Mike Shinoda, but he actually does decent rap and its not fast talking, you can hear it in his voice. In one of the Minutes to Midnight songs he actually sings in it. That's also a type of metal called Nu-Metal.

To finish this off I'll post some decent music.

My song#1 of all time.

My song#2 of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Oi4R-jSoA

My song#3 of all time. (contains a lot of swearing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E_5TqO3-po

My song #4 of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZp2jAdBu1o

My song#5 of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbC_3MrKgA

I'll probs get flamed but I had to post something.

Chris.

(PS. My videos aren't working?)

the only particularly good band i heard come from sensei was A7x. oh, and atreyu are ok... ish...

dragonforce however are awful, theres impressive solos that work well, but come on, dragonforce play like tits for the sake of it. whoop de do you can play and sound like a malfunctioning synthesizer.

Indie is one of the few refuges of individuality left in modern culture. the music is lively, and gets you in a great mood.

R n' B I'll agree with. modern stuff is crap.

Dance is a tricky one... the name of the genre 'dance' has been soiled by a combination of things... Buses, pikeys, Sony Walkman Phones, high pitched 'singing' and a 320 bpm bassline...

however, we cant let that taint our view, dance is a very wide genre, basement jaxx, for example, are dance, and they sound nothing like you described dance as. (incidentally, jaxx are one of my favorite bands)

i do listen to quite alot of heavies, they give me a boost too, listen to a band called moonsorrow, they're ace.

i like most stuff though... anyway, i've been ranting too much...

Spiderbait - Black Betty

The Guess who - American Woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1x6NNNfVJc

Seriously.

Oh my, how someone can mis-interpret a post so badly. I don't listen to this music either, two people in my IT class listen to nothing but BANGBANGBANGSCREAMREALLYLOUD and it's really annoying, you can't tell what they're saying and it really makes one angry. Agreed.

No offense intended, and do not give me an infraction because you can't handle it but, I don't like people like you. I deliberately used the phrase "something that people will call 'emo' " to avoid this situation. Just because it's called emo music does not mean that it'll make you want to slit your wrists, so to speak. The music that I listen to is predominantly labelled as emo yet when I listen to it, it will usually put me in a very good mood. Don't judge a book by it's cover, 'mate'.

Okay so people have differing opinions. But I can't understand your point, dance music makes me so bored that I'd rather be bashing my head against a sharp object. Why not press play and listen to it for 10 seconds, then press stop; THEN it is a good song. Why do you want to listen to the same 10 seconds of music REPEATED for over 4 minutes? I seriously dont get that...

Many good indie bands, yes.

Indie bands that have a differentiated sound, no.

All indie bands sound the same, unfortunately. Some of the songs I do really like; Wombats - Moving to New York for example is a good song.

That was the point of my post, no matter how many people I managed to annoy with my post I didn't care. If I managed to start an intellectual, and interesting argument about music and the theories behind different types then I achieved my objective.

Also, a note about the swearing. I actually didn't notice the s word in there, stinger's infraction PM made me notice that and I'll apologise.

I kinda get what Sensei is saying really (sorry). I listen to a lot of music, classic rock, prog rock, psychedelic rock, blues, metal aswell as other stuff, but i really don't get dance music, RnB (don't even get how its rytham a blues anymore, i like the proper stuff like The Who) or Rap. I can kinda see talent in some of the people doing this kinda stuff but most I just don't get.

I'll agree, some might have talent. But the world will never know if they have talent because it is hidden behind their manager's greed for success and money. They have no talent, to the public eye, they are merely puppets doing what they're told to become famous. In my book, they can gtfo.

yep i can understand that not everyone likes it, it was just the way sensei's post came across, sure you don't like something, but theres no need to insult it. And i know i kinda did the same in my post but that was to try and get my point across

I've explained about why I felt the need to come across the way I did, and it worked. I managed to get a discussion started on a topic that I can argue my point creatively for. This is a forum after all.

Sensei's E-Ego is too big and needs to be shot! He even said it himself! And his posts are slightly out of his normal IRL character ... well I think so anyway ;) (explainaing the swearing etc)

People who act the same way IRL and on the internet, I feel sorry for if I'm completely honest. It's these people who fail to dis-associate the real world from the virtual world and end up making terrible mistakes with their real life. This is why, I have a slightly different persona online.

In heavy metal, they don't use very many computer effects and the music they play is done by themselves without any managers telling them what to do to get famous. It may be indistinguishable but I would rather listen to Slipknot then Kanye West going on the M25 in a car home.

The metalers have much more talent then the RnBers by a mile. How many RnBers and rappers do you know who can play instruments? I can't even count a single one.

Amen, little to no computer added effects. The music is entirely their own, whereas R&B, rap and dance involves little to no human talent to be created, just someone who can work a mixer.

Metal music is brilliant for being able to calm down when your angry, it acts as a ibuprofen tablet with headaches but on a much faster scale. Its so good for that it doesn't get people in jail for abusing people.

Chrisicus has the right idea, in my opinion. The heavier music calms me down, as long as it's not TOO heavy like Slipknot or these BANGBANGBANGSCREAMREALLYLOUD kinda stuff.

Now it comes down to rap. I admit, I like some Eminem songs as they have some the the best lyrics ever. But who likes fast talking? Have you heard the fastest rappers? They sound like they're talking whole load of garbage, you can't distinguish the words.

Amen yet again (lol it rhymes). Eminem actually is probably one of the only rappers I will listen to, but only a select few songs.

I listen to Linkin Park who has a rapper in it, Mike Shinoda, but he actually does decent rap and its not fast talking, you can hear it in his voice. In one of the Minutes to Midnight songs he actually sings in it. That's also a type of metal called Nu-Metal.

I love Linkin Park's music, their diversity is amazing. With a non-wannabe-black rapper and people who can play instruments, combined with little to no computer interference means that the music is absolutely amazing, sometimes.

Also, it was good to see H.I.M - Wings of a Butterfly on your post there.

Indie is one of the few refuges of individuality left in modern culture. the music is lively, and gets you in a great mood.

Firstly, in reply to your post. A7x are amazing! <3

Also, I must dispute that indie puts you into a great mood. I was downstairs listening to the radio and on came a song by The Feeling, it made me angry how utterly horribly the guitar was and absolutely london-sounding they all were. A disgrace to British music.

----------

And finally, sorry to anyone who read and was offended by my post (the one swear word that I used). All I have to say is, if you read a swear word on a forum and get offended you need to get out more.

----------

Also, thanks for the infraction Stinger. Pity it doesn't mean anything, eh? LMAO. Are you people really that naive about the internet?

Have a good day all, and I hope to read something interesting to continue discussing. :)

Hope avenged sevenflod are good as there supporting Maiden when I go and see them in London, should get a cd to listen to a bit moer as I only have 3 songs that someone sent me.

I agree with most of what your saying Sensei but about your kinda saying your swaring is nothing, rules are rules and forums that allow swareing are really really annoying as i'm sure you know.

Anyway can't remember if i've posted yet up im really into Joe Bonamassa this week, blues/rock kinda stuff, a brilliant guitarist.

This is a slow song of his but the solo is senstional.

Nice song with a veriety of different styles. Awesome.

Also, I did apologise for the swearing. Since I didn't originally notice that I'd done it. It's not nothing at all, I appreciate that some forums enforce strict policies regarding aspects like swearing and I apologised.

Anyway.