We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Patch, Patching and Uninstall Info

Iced_Bullet

Installing TDU and Megapack, Patching and Uninstalling Info *Update*

First off I'll say I didn't write the first 2 points, only the Megapack installation. A mod felt it should become a new thread and sticky in itself. I posted the content below in a different thread for a new member to know what to do when he gets the game :)

--------------------------

There are no DLCs for the PC, however there is a patch which you have to d'load before you can get TDU online properly. the link for the patch is here - http://www.testdriveunlimited.com/community/index_pc.php?pg=news_detail&id=4

So really that is it.

TDU PC PATCH CONTENT

The Test Drive Unlimited PC-DVD patch has been released following the successful completion of the standard rigorous testing procedures at Atari to ensure the highest quality possible for the players.

Included with the patch are two brand new cars completely free, the Audi RS4 and Nissan Skyline R34.

Players must not tweak any of the files of their games, even save games, as it may prevent your game from launching / connecting online.

The patch features a number of improvements and addresses a number of important issues, including cheat prevention, as follows:

• Anti Cheat measures implemented throughout the game

• Fully reworked save system. Profiles can not be corrupted anymore (note: players will not be able to load a corrupted savegame.)

• Fixed crashes and improved stability everywhere in the game

• Fixed bug when a 'New game' is created with an online profile (remanent information)

• Improved online code (better management of lobbies, optimization of freeride sessions, “isolate” feature of the free ride improved)

• Fixed various bugs in drive in (linked with scores and cars)

• Fixed traffic cars flying around

• Fixed bug on multi-threading code

• Fixed some crackering/stuttering sound issues

• Fixed bugs in photo mode

• Fixed some corruption on car graphics

• Improved volume balance and bass power

Performance issues with Saitek2600 controller: Atari is aware of significant loss of frame rate if the user removes the Saitek P2600 controller during game play.

Performance issue with MS Sidewinder Wheel: Atari is aware of low frame rate with MS Sidewinder. Please note that Microsoft no longer supports the use of such peripheral under Windows XP.

TDU PC IMPORTANT NOTES FOR PATCHING AND UNINSTALLING

A number of people are having problems with patching and/or uninstalling and reinstalling, some of which appear to be down to problems the game has dealing with files that are in use/aren't where it thinks they are.

To have the best chance of avoiding these problems, I recommend following the procedure below. Usual disclaimers of your mileage may vary and not accepting any liability for doofing your computer up apply, but this helped me.

Registry checking

Before either patching or uninstalling I recommend players rebuild the information in their registry so that it has the correct information about TDU. The simplest/safest way of doing this is using Desrat's excellent TDU Registry Fixer which you can find here

(info here)

Even if the tool finds no errors I recommend resetting the TDU entry and having the tool rebuild it.

Patching

Important: Don't attempt to patch the game while it's still running!

The best way to patch is to ignore the ingame prompt to patch - press cancel and exit the game. Then download the patch from Atari directly from this website:

www.testdriveunlimited.com/community

Before running the patch from this file, reboot your computer. This ensures that TDU is well and truly clear before patching.

Now run the file and you should be patched and ok to go.

Uninstalling

As a precaution, make a folder on your c: drive called 'bootbackup' or something. Make sure you can see all hidden and system files (tools->folder options, view tab) and then copy all the files (not directories) that are at the base of c: into this bootbackup folder.

Again if you've run TDU this session, reboot your computer before uninstalling. Then uninstall using the uninstall TDU option from your games start menu shortcut - this is preferable to windows' add/remove program method.

Do not reboot your computer without checking your base c: again - if the system files (boot.ini etc) have disappeared copy them back from your bootbackup folder.

We're not done yet though, make sure you can see hidden files and navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

If you see a Test Drive Unlimited folder delete it. This is a vital step especially if you are planning to re-install the game or you've been having crashes.

You will also have a Test Drive Unlimited folder in your My Documents - if you want to keep your save game data you can leave this alone and your new install will pick up fine - this doesn't need to be deleted. However if you want to clear all trace of TDU from your computer you'll need to delete this as well.

TDU PC - INSTALLING MEGAPACK

After you've purchased the Megapack, you should recieve an email containing your Megapack serial code. Download the .exe as instructed and then simply run it and when prompted enter your serial code. Make sure it's correct, then continue with the installation.

The Megapack does contain Patch 1.44A however it is suggested to install that seprately before the Megapack (if not already installed). This does seem pointless, but does save some problems down the line.

[Thread Link to Megapack Info - Click Me!]

• 10 months later...

Me = Bored .. so for the new members unsure ... here you go :)

-----------------------

TDU PC - INSTALLING MEGAPACK

After you've purchased the Megapack, you should recieve an email containing your Megapack serial code. Download the .exe as instructed and then simply run it and when prompted enter your serial code. Make sure it's correct, then continue with the installation.

The Megapack does contain Patch 1.44A however it is suggested to install that seprately before the Megapack (if not already installed). This does seem pointless, but does save some problems down the line.

[Thread Link to Megapack Info - Click Me!]

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't update my version to 1.68b.

I have fresh 1.66 with megapack, polish language, I'm running patch as an Admin and i get:

Log G:\Test Drive Unlimited\New folder\patch.log

Enabled : True

Events : 7

Has new event : True

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Running patch G:\Test Drive Unlimited\New folder\patchs\install.pch - 94 instruction(s).

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Chosen install groups: [Required;Generate New Traffic;1.68].

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Running instruction #1 from group 'Required': Brands_name_700...

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Exception spotted: Unable to create edit task on BNK file: G:\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\Database\DB_FR.BNK

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Instruction #1 ended with error.

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - Patch halted because of an error.

> 2011-08-15 15:34:06 - No collected messages.

• 1 month later...