We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU Mods : Rim-Swapping / Modifying / Colouring *Video Update* [Tutorials]

Iced_Bullet

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha, I never looked there...

But, my idea is to make some nice rims for the Dodge Charger. There are 5-spoke Mercedes rims that fit it fine, they look sort of muscle-car ish anyway, so I'm gonna stick a dodge logo on them.

EDIT: This isn't in that tutorial, but how do I generate the 2nd image? The one that's all in the crazy colours as posted above?

EDIT AGAIN: The weird coloured one seems to be the reflection map. If I edit it manually though (brush out the Mercedes logo) the reflections go all weird in the game. The wheel is bright white with the dodge logo I added in the middle, then goes totally black as it turns, then back to white...

That tutorial doesn't actually explain what I need to do with DXTBMP to generate those reflection maps...

What are you wanting to do exactly?

As it says in red at the top of the tutorial, the rim file you want to modify is the .2DB file which ends in '_d'. And the reflection file is the one which doesn't have the '_d'. If you're wanting to just remove the Merc logo and put a Dodge one on, you have to smudge or paint over the Merc image and place the Dodge one on.

For the reflection, what you need to do is select the area in the middle of the rim and paint over it in a similar coloured paint brush, then blur it to fade into the rest of the file. Then copy over the Dodge bit from the middle of the Merc reflection image.

Speed will have copied the koeingseegggeee logo from the koeinseegegee rim file, to get the logo in the midds rims.

The tutorial cannot cover everything, there isn't enough room, I only put the glass bit in as it's more difficult and slightly different. The tutorial is general, but can be applied to 99% of .2DB files, including rim files. Speed managed to do it from the tutorial before I updated it ;)

That's the thing. If I don't change the weird coloured one, I get reflection lines (from the Merc logo) across my Dodge logo. If I change it, the reflections in the game mess up. :cry:

I'll just try finding a wheel with a nicer reflection map to mod instead...

Oooh, I'm involved without saying anything :)

The only reason that I changed the second one on that screenshot was so the Mazda logo wasn't included. I originally had the Koenigsegg logo on both the top and bottom rows of the screenshot, but I couldn't line it up in game, so quickly rubbed it out on the top row, so I now just have the indent on the rims, which I think looks really nice.

Also, I don't think the colourful one is needed, as I said I just did it so I didn't have a black Koenigsegg logo with a Mazda imprint under it.

i downloaded some nice rims for my sl 65 AMG... i like them whey much, have them on my skyline and my 430's.. but, when i tryed to have them on my gallardo coupe, the game crashed... -that happends every time the rims doesnt fit the car.. but now, when i tryed to restarted it, nothing happend.. :(

what is the problem? do i have to reinnstall ??

thx and sorry my for my bad english..

i downloaded some nice rims for my sl 65 AMG... i like them whey much, have them on my skyline and my 430's.. but, when i tryed to have them on my gallardo coupe, the game crashed... -that happends every time the rims doesnt fit the car.. but now, when i tryed to restarted it, nothing happend.. :(

what is the problem? do i have to reinnstall ??

thx and sorry my for my bad english..

Did you make a back up for the file? You will need to replace the file you used on the gallardo to a smaller file size so it works, then the game will work again. For reference, the rims you use on the Gallardo/ SE must be 424kb or less, and the Spyder is 430kb or less.

Matt88;71305']That's the thing. If I don't change the weird coloured one, I get reflection lines (from the Merc logo) across my Dodge logo. If I change it, the reflections in the game mess up. :cry:

I'll just try finding a wheel with a nicer reflection map to mod instead...

it's probably the _d file. It creates depth in the textures. Just make a selection and fill it with a gradient with th darkest and the lightest color bordering the selection. Fill it in the same direction as it is going on the rim.

after that copy/past the logo you want on it and clear its edges so you're left with only the logo.

You could also leave it. Then you'd only have the logo on the rim, without any depth / heightmapping.

*sigh*

What I am saying is: I can change the textures themselves fine. I'm basically just brushing out the Merc logo with the colour around it, so I get a flat bit in the middle of the rim. It all looks fine in paint.net.

BUT, when I put the edited file in the game, the reflections on the wheels get messed up...

As they turn they go from being bright white, to totally black, and back again. The wheels sort of 'flash' on and off, almost.

Matt88;71339']*sigh*

What I am saying is: I can change the textures themselves fine. I'm basically just brushing out the Merc logo with the colour around it, so I get a flat bit in the middle of the rim. It all looks fine in paint.net.

BUT, when I put the edited file in the game, the reflections on the wheels get messed up...

As they turn they go from being bright white, to totally black, and back again. The wheels sort of 'flash' on and off, almost.

Can I have a screenshot of what the weird coloured file looks like before you "brush out" the merc logo and after, once the dodge one has been put it :)
This would help loads if we could have a visual aid. Also, it might be worth a screenshot of the normal rim file before you brush out the merc logo and put the dodge logo on.

Matt88;71339']*sigh*

...As they turn they go from being bright white, to totally black, and back again. The wheels sort of 'flash' on and off, almost.

Aaaah! so the merc logo IS gone, but it's like the centre part is flashing on and off... okay!

I had that too with a couple of rimms and couldn't figure out why. I colour the rim and then it happens. When I made it black, evertything was ok, and when I made it reeeealy bright, it worked also, but that's not what I wanted. So i'm intrested in the outcome of this problem...

I just rememberd, the black to white thing went through the colour, so black, dark colour, good volour, bright colour, white and then started over again. A second thing is that I didn't modify teh reflection file, only the normal rim file... :S

Did you make a back up for the file? You will need to replace the file you used on the gallardo to a smaller file size so it works, then the game will work again. For reference, the rims you use on the Gallardo/ SE must be 424kb or less, and the Spyder is 430kb or less.

sorry for the late reply...

never mind:D i restarted my pc and then it worked.. forgot to say that sorry:rolleyes:but thanks anyway

Matt, I can;t help you until I have a screenshot :p Also, I had a look, are you sure that the file size is smaller? there is only 2 mercedes rim files which are smaller than the Charger one.

This is my screenshot, cannot work in in game as it'll be a bigger file size ... :(

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/IcedBullet/Test%20Drive%20Unlimited/Mods/Merc_to_Dodge_Rim.jpg