We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Confused, please help!

mistermojo

I bought TDU a while ago thinking i would run it fine:

2.2 dual core

2gb RAM

Nvidia 8400GS

Vista 32 bit.

But in reality i have to go to ultra low quality, ie no AA, no HDR, low details and 800x600 res to get it to run smoothly (30fps). I tried the Can You RUN It site and it said i more than met the recommended requirements,

So im confused :(

Also, according to Can You RUN It, it says i have 1009mb of memory on my graphics card (Video Ram), which cant be right . Its 256 as far as i know. I heard somewhere if your graphics card has too much memory, it can actually reduce performance. Is there anyway i turn it down? Or is "can you run it" just talking nonsense?

Sorry for the essay lol, please help! :)

Yeah, it is pretty budget-y. Any ideas about the supposed 1009mb of VRAM?

I'm not sure, but I would guess, the 256 is the graphics cards own memory and 1009 is the amount it can borrow from system memory (although the shared memory doesn't help, at least in games).

Hmm yeah, thought 1009 vram was a bit odd lol. Anyway can i turn the shared memory down? Ive looked in the bios but theres nothing in there related to my 8400. Except....Its says i can change the "chipset" memory to either "none", "1mb", or "8mb". Default is 8. Dunno if that has anything to do with anything lol.

1009mb is the reserved virtual address space that the vista driver display model uses. It doesn't have much relevance to anything other than helping Vista run out of address space when you have 4gb of ram and/or a graphics card with a large amount of actual VRAM.

No tweaking of memory will affect your performance for TDU - you are completely limited by the processing power of that graphics chip.

• 2 months later...
I bought TDU a while ago thinking i would run it fine:

2.2 dual core

2gb RAM

Nvidia 8400GS

Vista 32 bit.

But in reality i have to go to ultra low quality, ie no AA, no HDR, low details and 800x600 res to get it to run smoothly (30fps). I tried the Can You RUN It site and it said i more than met the recommended requirements,

Check my rig specks, its vista that is limiting you. try turning dx10 off, (maybe, not sure about this. It is a dx9 game though).

i only had to drop to 800x600 to do tauntilus(not sure about that spelling) every other challenge was ok and i can drive and race around free ride on high settings. Your rig has got twice the everything than mine has.

2x processing power and probable cache too

2x ram and bandwidth

2x graphic bandwidth and nex gen.

buy yourself a 9600gt and a oem xp sp3 and you will be laughing.

BTW, before any one flames my op, check PCFormat magazine.

cheers nick,

It is most definately your graphics card (as many have said) I previously owned an 8500GT at that only just ran it at 25fps (everything on low) and as soon as i upgraded to an 8600GTS, I ran it maxed out. But now that ive got this uber-computer it runs anything maxed out (with exception to crysis)

OK, you got me thinking, whats my fps then?

so with frapps:

1024x768

details on high

no hdr and no aa

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

1784, 82968, 17, 27, 21.502

I recon ive built this ok then, what do you all think?

cheers nick:thumbsup:

ps, thanks for the reference points, ive tryed to bench before but have not taken to apps like 3dmark etc, besides no one else bothers with my skt and graphics slot.