We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

MS wants to be first out of the gate with Xbox 720

Nodz86

MS wants to be first out of the gate with Xbox 720

Posted Jun 16th 2008 4:15PM by Dustin Burg

Filed under: News, Console wars

robertobachero39.jpgTalking with VentureBeat, Xbox 360 boss Robbie Bach chatted about where the Xbox brand is headed next generation, reconfirming their plan to be the first out of the console release gate once again. "If you take the question of whether it was the right thing to try to be first [with Xbox 360], the answer to that is definitely yes" Bach told VentureBeat, "it has given us a leg up with game developers. It has given us a leg up from an economics perspective. It helped us expand Xbox Live quickly. At a strategy level, if you asked if we wanted to be first again, I would say yes." Plain and simple. Then again, trying to beat the PS4 to market won't be all that hard for Microsoft seeing that Sony has publicly announced their plans to make it a ten year console. Right? Xbox 720 in 2011, bring it on!

Source

So they want to be first into the market. Does that come as shock?

Considering the problems they have had with the 360 I thought they may have took some more time to produce the next gen as PS reckons the PS3 is a ten year console which gives them even more time.

Yeah. But they got away with releasing a shoddy console and cornering the market early on. If they do the same again they will have longer to build up a lead. To be honest they have to be early because the product isn't likely to be as good as Sony's response. Either way I'm glad to see the 360 is likely to be getting a longer life than the original Xbox.

Now here's an interesting thing, if Xbox 720 does come out it's going to be a lot more than the PS3 and developers are going to keep to the larger install base plus the next gen will have a new type of GPU meaning that it will more than likely be "develop for one or the other".

There's Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) but it's not really been heard of since first prototypes were shown about 2-3 years ago. Plus remember that BD (Blu-ray) is already upto 200Gb and predictions are already on about quad-layered or even octo-layered I think.

Hitachi has already made a 100Gb 4-layered BD that they have tested and believe could simply be used by all current players with a simple firmware upgrade. MGS4 uses a 50Gb Dual-layer BD at the moment.

As for amount of content it depends on the resolution and quality of the models, I mean think about us now at 1080, Japan is already playing with 2160P and there is an even higher standard coming out very very shortly again!

[e:] It's called Super Hi-Vision and has a resolution of 7680x4320!! :eek:

shv.gif

Hitachi has already made a 100Gb 4-layered BD that they have tested and believe could simply be used by all current players with a simple firmware upgrade. MGS4 uses a 50Gb Dual-layer BD at the moment.

As for amount of content it depends on the resolution and quality of the models, I mean think about us now at 1080, Japan is already playing with 2160P and there is an even higher standard coming out very very shortly again!

[e:] It's called Super-Hi Vision and has a resolution of 7680x4320!! :eek:

:mad: I bought my TV thinking they wont up it from full/True HD (1920x1080p) for a while but they are. You can't buy nothing without it going out of date a week later.

Thats good but to be honest I doubt they would up the res as the machines don't output inpast full/true HD and I don't think you could update them with a firmware upgrade so I think more content is the way it may go.

:mad: I bought my TV thinking they wont up it from full/True HD (1080x720) for a while but they are. You can't buy nothing without it going out of date a week later.

Full HD on TV's now is 1920x1080 and i don't see the point in upping the resolution for TV's because i see no difference between 1360x768 and 1920x1080 when playing games or watching HD videos

yeah, its me that keeps going on about HVD, realistically though, that is a long way off, i think its summit stupid like £120 a disk and £10,000 for a player at the moment, well, it was in 2005 (working off memory, don't hate me if i am talking rubbish!)

no idea of recent developments, HVD is on the market, in 300gb versions, but only industrially

either way, you cant really bank on it happening, who needs multiple terrabytes, when this generation can live on 10 gigabytes (360's DVD9). PS3 disks are filled mainly by re-writing files and textures to compensate for the relatively slow read speeds on these early generation BD-drives.

a fast reading BD-drive capable of a few hundred gigs will do fine for the next gen methinks

I don't mind about xbox beating sony at the end of the day im a loyal customer and i wont be switchin over. However if they make another poor quaility xbox i will throw it out the ruddy window.

sorry for the anger just got RRoD. GARH

I personally wouldn't want to see Microsoft at the top, there's something about the way they would go about certain things that makes me think they would monopolise this and freeze out others who do not support them.

Just look at their other business practices!

Also Sony have been hit hard in this gen but 2008+ should start to see them climb their way up again. Remember the PS2 sold over 100 million, that's 1 PS2 for every 60 people (theoretically) on the planet. That's quite amazing!

I personally wouldn't want to see Microsoft at the top, there's something about the way they would go about certain things that makes me think they would monopolise this and freeze out others who do not support them.

Just look at their other business practices!

Also Sony have been hit hard in this gen but 2008+ should start to see them climb their way up again. Remember the PS2 sold over 100 million, that's 1 PS2 for every 60 people (theoretically) on the planet. That's quite amazing!

I had three because 2 broke and both of my brothers got through a couple, i imagine it was like this for many people but it was a great machine

You see I know a few people like you who had to buy another but myself I had one and it lasted me all from when I bought it to the time my brother sold it. lol I know the CD reader had some issues but for me it was .....in fact you know what out of every system I've owned only the Xbox 360 has actually broken down or had a serious issue with it.

No wait my Commodore 64 tape deck had a broken counter. :D

i know what you mean i much prefered the days when xbox (original) was the much better underdog.

in those days it was quality not just quantity.

I know, the console was more durable and there were never any problems. The graphics were amazing and it was simple to use. The problem was that the controller was too fat and uncomforatble. But it was a great console overall.