We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

RAM Question

Iced_Bullet

As most of you know, I bought my new PC which I am very pleased with =]

I only have 2gb (2x1gb) of RAM and with Vista it might need to be upped soon by either 2gb or 4gb.

It says in the Mobo instructions that I have to have the 'Same size and type in DIMM 1 + 3' and the 'Same size and type in DIMM 2 + 4'. Does this mean I can have 1gb sticks in DIMM 1 + 3 and then 2gb sticks in DIMM 2 + 4?

Also, the current ones are these - http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=402849 800mhz CAS 4-4-4-12

Can you suggest others? I could only find Corsair 5-5-5-14 2gb 800mhz sticks on Ebuyer or SCAN of the same visual style (dunno if that matters) ... does this number difference matter?

Also, could you suggest (fins) some more pleeeeaseeee =] Any price at the moment ...

As long as slot 1+3 both have 1GB sticks, you should be able to put 2GB sticks in slot 2+4.

You will get the best performance increase if the extra RAM has the same timings, if the extra RAM has slower timings it will slow down the faster RAM to match. here are 2X2GB with the same timings http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142433. These sticks need 2.1V from your mobo so make sure you get RAM that requires the same voltage as the ones you have now

When upgrading RAM, they don't have to be of the the same make, just as long as they have the same specs

Hope that helped