We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Porsche accuses Nissan GT-R of cheating

Nodz86

Porsche accuses Nissan GT-R of cheating the 'Ring

Posted Sep 30th 2008 9:02AM by Jeremy Korzeniewski

Filed under: Supercars, Nissan, Porsche

gtrpriceincrease.jpg

Click above for high-res gallery of the Nissan GT-R

Sour grapes or legitimate complaint? That's the question we're left pondering after reading that Porsche believes Nissan must have cheated to record its 7:29:03 lap time of the famed Nürburgring race circuit. Porsche claims that it had been suspicious of the Nissan's lap times, so it acquired a U.S.-spec GT-R for testing back-to-back with its own 911 Turbo and GT2. The result? The mighty Godzilla was toppled by the Teutonic German duo, with the GT-R posting times a good 25-seconds slower than Nissan's claim.

How can Porsche explain the discrepancy? "This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production car. For us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tires," says August Achleitner, the man in charge of the 911 program. There is footage of the GT-R lapping the 'Ring at high speed, but it's taken from inside the car where the tires cannot be seen.

Considering the fact that Nissan saw fit to issue a press release commemorating the car's fast-lap, we doubt this is something that will be taken lightly. There's a big can 'o worms here, and Porsche's in the corner holding the opener.

From Autoblog

Guest RB26DETT

oh poo! i bet that 2nd run they did against the 911, they didn't drive the GTR to its full potential or intentionally drove it slower so that their beetle could beat it.

Are they buying a ZR-1 too?

Probably, and a new Viper. Jesus, they still make tons more money than they need, why do they have to be such sore losers? I've seen all the time they spent testing it 'round the 'ring on BM, it's not like they just got a random taxi driver, stuck him in a GT-R, and took down the first time 'round the 'ring.

a viper pwns both... but still, One day porsche will learn not to underestmate the power of teh Japanese :D

Not to burst your bubble by the front splitter and some other parts of Viper ACR are not street legal in the US. So Really the Viper will lose some of its handling characteristics if the drove it at US street trim.

Probably will still thrash the time but It won't be as fast in some areas.

The 7:29 time was set by a Japanese stock car and tyres. Why are they surprised that a US stock car (which will have more stringent emissions therefore more restrictive CAT and/or less power and possibly more economic tyres) is slower?

To add to that am I also right in saying that as all GT-R engines are hand made that they all have different bhp. so the one round the 'ring may have had a bit more bhp than the one porsche got

Nissan to Porsche: Put the GT-R down before you hurt yourself

Posted Oct 9th 2008 10:27AM by Dan Roth

Filed under: Sports/GTs, Etc., Euro, Supercars, Nissan, Porsche

nissanskylinegtr_abg_04_opt.jpg

The GT-R/911 schoolyard scuffuffle continues, with Nissan looking at Porsche's test and basically saying "yer doin it wrong" to the German automaker. Chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno has graciously offered remedial driving classes to the driver for Porsche's lapping session where a GT-R was reportedly 25 seconds off Nissan's torrid time of 7 minutes, 29 seconds. Porsche had concluded that special tires must have been quietly fitted in a quest for 'Ring primacy. Porsche has yet to say anything other than "Ve don't sink zee car can do it in schtock form."

Not so, says Nissan. While a claim to the fastest production car on the Nürburgring might help prospective customers froth up some money, and owners are unlikely to try verifying the claim, Nissan is not interested in wasting time on one-offs, according to Mizuno. "For us, testing the car in standard production specification is far more relevant", says the engineer. The very tires that carried driver Toshio Suzuki on the 7:29 run are in the hands of Sumitomo, and Nissan would encourage interested parties to STFU and go look at the rolling stock. It seems Nissan thinks Porsche needs a little help figuring out the GT-R, to which the company will be happy to help. "We are aware that several automakers have purchased the GT-R for their own testing and evaluation," Nissan says in its most recent rebuttal, "we would welcome the opportunity to help any auto manufacturer with understanding the full capabilities of the GT-R." Nissan's statement is after the jump.

From autoblog

I believe every word Porsche says. Sure, the GTR has launch control, AWD, and alot of power but there is just no way thta is could have beaten the 911 Turbo, let alone the 911 GT2. There is just absolutly no way. I think the Japanese are just over-rating their "Godzilla" car to an extremem. Yea, the GTR fans are happy that a new one is one the road now, but that is no reason for Nissan to get a big head over it.

P.S. C/D re-tested the new Corvette ZR1's time earlier this week and found it to be a true time. In fact, every single specification that Chevrolet gave (0-60, quarter mile time, top speed, everything)were true. At least Chevrolet is honest. C/D is going to do the same thing with the GTR too but they have yet to release the time of which they will be doing so.

You're also a Corvette fanboy. I really don't care. I can't afford any of them and live no where near "the ring". So it's neither here nor there for me. It's funny to watch the pot shots none the less.

I'd happily have a GTR, 911 or Z06/ZR1 (despite it being LHD). So anyone got a spare £60k? :)