We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Speed up your TDU!!

Preze$

I don't know is there thread like this, so I'm writing how to speed up your TDU.

At first I must say that not I discovered this way of speeding. I only found it. Also I must say that I tested it in my TDU and it is great.

This is for people who haven't the newest computers but they want to have cars with the best details.

!!! Before changing anything you should do backup of editing files. Also you must remember that you are doing this at your own risk!

Description:

1. So first You should go to settings and set whatever you want (for example: good resolution, and the best details) and next turn off TDU.

2. Now go to the X:\Program Files\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\FX\

and there is file FX.ini . Open it with notepad and there are:

[OCEAN] – here the best is to change all to 0.

[GLOW-INGAME] - the same as in [OCEAN] …

[GRASS] – Here we can change a greenery. So the best is to change following things:

HEIGHTGRASS = 0.2 (height of grass, 0 = erase it)

WIDTHRATIOGRASS = 0.1 (width of grass, 0 = erase it)

SIZEDELTAGRASS = 0.1 (size of grass)

NBELTFAR = 120 (Distance, it means how far do we see all particulars)

HEIGHTBUSHES = 0.1 (height of bushes)

WIDTHRATIOBUSHES= 0.1 (width of bushes)

SIZEDELTABUSHES = 0.1 (size of bushes)

That was the way of reducing details of nature.

3. Next step is to erase birds, papers and some other rubbish. So you must go to X:\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\. And next change name of the folder Details to BAK_Details now in game will be a little bit less nature and no flying birds and no rubbish on the streets.

4. Now your TDU should working faster on medium computers as mine! ;)

5. Now you can play your TDU.

I wish I helped someone like me...

I have also easy way to turn off traffic but this is only killing this game ;)

If you have some questions please ask, I'll help as well as I can.

not a good idea

removing birds and flying objects will prevent you from connecting to your friends easily, there has been a patch for this out about 1.8 years ago, it's nothing new and messed a few of my friends games up. You are right though it does speed up your PC a lot, but with adverse effects.

Ministry:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post. But do you mind posting some pictures of this enabled? I'm worried it will kill the visuals a lot. I'm actually quite satisfied running the game at 1024x640, 2x AA, low settings, no HDR and I still get over 30 FPS consistently, except when crashing or bumping into another vehicle. My lappy's specs are actually similar to your rig's. But if it does increase FPS by over 15 without killing the visuals much (ie. lower resolution shadow maps, less denser foliage), I'm up for it.

@ Ministry

That's the first tweak I ever saw and currently the only one I use right now. Increases FPS by 5-10 and I barely even notice the birds and flying paper being gone!

*Sigh* I wish I had a faster lappy, you know, the ones with the Geforce 9500/9600M graphic processors. I can't complain though since I don't have a job yet. Heck, most of my friends don't even have laptops that can actually play some games (integrated graphics...) and some don't even have a laptop. So yeah, I'm quite satisfied with right now.

Huh... I don't know did I understand you well because of my english ;)

I don't know is it nessesary to add screenshots because anyone can imagine how the game looks without papers and birds ;) about ocean and greenery it look like after cropping ;) If you don't understand me please write to me ;P

It doesn't increase the pop-up distance, unfortunately.

hehe, that's the first thing I thought. Hmmm, if you can decrease it then maybe you can increase it too! Since the game runs between 80-120 fps for me anyway on max settings, I figured I could do with a bit of extra view distance or draw distance. But alas. It's ok though, TDU already looks really nice.

Although, sometimes it does bother me a little bit how the cars change from detailed to not detailed when you get further away from them, and how suddenly this happens, it could be better, but then again, you see this in most games.

Well, I managed to remove the birds and got a increse of 1 fps but I still get about 14 fps on Oahu Raceway, Ford Island and that secret island. And about 7-8fps on normal road! And I am using the lowest video settings (1024*768, no AA, no HDR and detail is set to low!) :ill: :mad: :cry:

I have a Geforce 7600GS card but I think its time for a new computer! Don't you think? :rolleyes:

@ Ferrari7000

Can you tell me where that Oahu Raceway and Ford Island is? Even just a hint where it's near? I've been to the secret island (the one where you enter through the Eden logo) before and it's actually faster there, probably because there are hardly any trees there. I get around 30-35 FPS in the secret island. The places with the worst FPS for me are the places with lot of foliage/trees/grass. It actually drops to 20-25 FPS when a lot of cars are in those places. Elsewhere it's just fast and smooth. And it's odd considering my GPU is slower than yours. BTW, I run the game at 1024x640, 2x AA, no HDR, low details.

EDIT:

Hmm... I just noticed your CPU. Quite old. It's below the minimum requirements of TDU. AMD Athlon XP 2000+ Barton core? It's probably what's causing the bad FPS despite a faster video card than mine. It was great though back then. Bang for the buck. I had an Athlon XP 1700+. My desktop is still an AMD though. =P Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor core.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Bro I just play TDU 1 normal editon on lowest 1024 x 768 and in main streets I got 5 fps and near city 10 fps and outside city I got 15 fps unplayable

But when I installed TDU PLATINUM     city streets 20 fps playable same low end pc with 1024 x 768 I got about 20 - 35 fps and thats really cool didnt use any tweaks

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2008 at 8:07 PM, Razzman said:

I tried doing this but it won't let me save the change to FX.ini after i've made them says something about make sure the file path is correct but it is. any suggestions?

Right click on the FX.ini , then click on properties , uncheck Read-Only try saving it after that.