We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Clarkson comment complaints top 500

Nodz86

1 hour 40 mins ago

palog.gif

The BBC said complaints about the Top Gear show in which Jeremy Clarkson joked about murdering prostitutes have risen to more than 500.

4243282427-clarkson-comment-complaints-top-500.jpg#200,200

The Top Gear presenter, 48, made the quip about lorry drivers killing sex workers on Sunday's BBC2 show.

As he completed a lorry-driving task, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

His comments come after serial killer Steve Wright was convicted in February of murdering five prostitutes in Ipswich. Wright was a former lorry driver, as well as pub landlord and forklift truck driver.

Clarkson's joke, made before the watershed, had sparked 188 complaints to the BBC by Monday morning, out of what the Corporation said was seven million viewers.

The Iceni Project, a charity which had helped some of the murdered prostitutes in Ipswich, previously criticised the remark.

The group's director, Brian Tobin, said: "I just think it was highly distasteful and insensitive."

Broadcasting watchdog Ofcom said it had been contacted by viewers angry at the remarks. The complaints were being assessed against the Broadcasting Code before a decision was made whether or not to investigate.

But others held different views, including Eddie Stobart chief executive Andrew Tinkler, who said the reference was used to comically exaggerate an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving. He said: "They were just having a laugh."

A BBC spokesman said: "The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona. This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence."

From BTYahoo news

As he completed a lorry-driving task, he said: "This is a hard job and I'm not just saying that to win favour with lorry drivers, it's a hard job. Change gear, change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

Win! Brilliant part. Just noobs whining again, leave it how it it's, it's Top Gear.

yeah, people over-react so much these days, the same happened with brand/ross...

you know, only 2 people complained before the story made news, that what whingy dicks are like, as soon as they find something to whine about, they pester. I don;t get why anything should be changed when less than 1% complain. It sure as hell doesnt happen in government...

The problem is people don't complain because there offended, they complain because they think others would be offensive, totally stupid.

Went to a Jimmy Carr show and most of the jokes were way worse than that yet no-one complains becosue that's what people expect when going, why do people complain after watching something like Top Gear on TV.

As Andreaz1 said, don't like, don't watch.

This is another jonathoin ross, russel brand secnario, ok theres was worse and shouldnt have been broadcast (editors mucked up big time). The point with that example I'm trying to make is that they had 2 complaints, then after the 1st day in the press they had 10,000 after the second day it went to 20,000 and by the third it was 30,000 and so on. At the end of the day the thing that annoyes me the most is that people go out of there way to listen again to the show (should have been pulled from wherever it was) and then put more effort into compaining. I hate the PC lot.

Back to clarkson, it was on sterotyping and even Edward Stobart himself laughed about it and said it was related to an oild urban myth, ok in light of the forklift driver (very loose connection as two different vehicles with the same word) may have been a bit bad but it was not diected at that and people jumping on the PC bandwagon is why the country is in the state it is (not the financial one).

why do they watch a program that they know is going to have somthink like that in it

Because I expect a good 80% of them didn't watch it. People hear about it then get all uptight and act like it's a disgrace and go and complain having never actually watched it. Anyone Clarkson has ever upset with his opinions in the past would have been on the phone to get at him, for example the Caravan club. :lol:

Feminists and some Prostitute committee (wth?!) were the main complainers, however I can see some point due to it being before the 9PM watershed and also I sort of knew about the urban myth with truckers (just like the having to dodge bullets and rockets in eastern europe) however how many people watching knew of it also?

When he said it I did actually mentally take a step back as it sounded - and I know this is going to sound strange - out of character for Jeremy and almost forced like he couldn't think of anything else to say.

I think I was also losing interest due to the predictability of the show, in fact I was surprised Clarkson never drove through Oliver! :twisted: