We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Nodz86

As some of you might know I did a driving day at the weekend. It has to be one of the best things I have ever done, ever. I thought I'd post a little review of the cars I drove and was driven in.

I started the day being driven round the track (at low speed) in a Range Rover Sport Supercharged, very nice car, just a quick lap to familiarise us with the course and the general do's and don’ts.

258rytt.jpg

Then I got thrown in at the deep end, in an Arial Atom. That thing is immense, one of the experiences I remember most of the day. The acceleration needs to be experienced to be believed especially with the cold, crisp air of a November morning rushing in any gap on the helmet!!! The time in this car can only be described mental, only used 3rd and 4th gear (same as in most cars) but the instructor I had in this car was the nuts (had an intercom on the helmets). After the 1st lap he was just encouraging me to go faster and faster. This car felt the quickest of the day by far even though it probably wasn't. If I was in this car last I think I would have been quicker as I would've known the track more. (pic of me being strapped in the Atom with helmet so I didn't get the Clarkson look)

ezhg88.jpg

Next up was the Aston Martin DB9. Unfortunatly coming after the Atom it didn't feel like anything special. The Flappy Paddle shifting was smooth and slick, as you'd expect from an auto box. Apart from that it felt like a normal drive nothing to out the ordinary. Don't think the instructor helped much, was pretty quiet and seemed like he wanted to be elsewhere. (Pic of me in the Aston)

2a7u7uc.jpg

After the Aston and some chips came the Ferrari 360 CS. Thought I'd have trouble fitting in this but the instructor was taller than me. Very comfy car to be in had the carbon ceramic brakes (which apparently last the lifetime of the car). The instructor was really good and very knowledgeable. Encouraged me to boot it and it was easy to do, very good to drive (probably because it weren't in race mode and had all the aids on). He said if I was to do a full day in the car then we would come to the stage of turning all the aids off and putting race mod on (something which I am actually looking into). The only floor with this car was the Flappy Paddle gear box, when you changed gear it was laggy, for want of a better word. Where as in the Aston it was smooth and unnoticeable to some extent this lagged a bit, apparently in race mod it weren't as bad, but it is probably due to the type of box it is. (Pic of me getting briefed in the 360CS)

x2096q.jpg

After a bit of waiting and a long speech I got to the Audi R8. The pre speech was rubbish and a pain and made me late for the LP640 (this car was actually subbed from another company on the site that why I had to sit through there rubbish). That said, once I got into the car it was all worth it. The instructor was a happy, chirpy chap, was making me boot it as where the rest. Really quick acceleration on it and a smoother box than the 36CS but still lagged a bit. On the chicane I dropped it to 2nd and as I accelerated hard out flapped the paddle to change out and it went into neutral, which was strange. Apart from that it went, and boy did it stop. The brakes where probably the best I'd used all day, very sharp and responsive, better than the ceramics on the 360CS (but then they need to be hot to work properly and for how much I used them they probably weren’t that hot). This car was probably the biggest surprise of the day as it was the easiest to drive and when you give it some it responded. (Unfortunately the other company were a pain so couldn't get a pic of me in it but here’s one from earlier in the day)

xfujdc.jpg

Last but not least was the Lambo LP640. From outside what an amazing car, looked the dogs and had a yellow interior to keep with the subtle looks. Climbed into the cockpit and my legs needed to be shorter and my arms needed to be longer, also had a proper gear box instead of the Flappy paddles. Found this to be probably the most difficult car to drive, seating wasn't comfortable (I know it’s not meant to be), the B pillar (the one next to the windscreen, I'm sure Hybrid will correct me if I'm wrong) was right in the way, couldn't see round the bend at all and didn't really have any room to move unlike in the others. Once I got used to it, and knowing the track by this time I was confident to look down and see what speed I was doing when I got near the breaking point. I was doing well over a ton (100mph) after I had started braking but that wasn't the thing worrying me, more the engine warning light and check engine warning writing that was flashing at me, not good to see at any speed let alone that speed. Again the instructor wasn't the best in this car so probably didn't help too much. Still a great car but just didn't do it for me, might need a go in it again. The other thing I noticed is when you turned the steering wheel (noticed this whilst in the "pit area") on both the LP640 and the orange murci it sounded like one of the wishbones or track rods was going to snap, had a creaking and growing noise coming from them. (Pic of me trying to find the seat belt, only to realise I am a prize muppet and it is fed from the centre).

34xksu9.jpg

To end the day I had a high speed ride round in a BMW M3 CSL. The driver was a nutcase, was basically trying to scare us by braking late etc, but on the first corner over cooked it and nearly had us spinning. This was over as soon as it began. After got my certificate, got some track photos of me driving the cars (so I was £90 lighter).

All in all a very enjoyable day and I would recommend it to anyone. The highlights of the day was definitely the Atom that car has to be driven to even understand the madness of it. The biggest surprise of the Day had to go to the R8, what an amazing car one you could live with every day, I didn't hold much for it before I went and was saying it’s an Audi it won’t be nothing special but I take that all back, it was one of the better cars. The Aston was average sat next to all these, whether it was because I drove the Atom before, who knows, but still a great car none the less but would choose an R8 over it. The Ferrari was outstanding piece of kit that I could thrash round all day, not as much adrenaline as in the Atom but then I weren't out in the elements in it, only downside was the gearbox. Unfortunately the biggest let down was the LP640, whether it was due to my seating position, view, instructor, I don't know or because this was the car I was hyping up the most (the opposite effect from the R8), who knows, still a great car in its own right but it just didn't do it for me.

Here is a selection of pics of the other vehicles they had there:

http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=h%2B5OO51Iht3nF1cMcXoLTg%3D%3D

*photo's of me in vehicles where taken by shar, thats why half the car is missing on some of them.

Lucky you! I should go on one of these someday. I'll never get round to it though.

And its the A pillar at the front - that car doesn't have a B pillar, as this image from wikipedia so wonderfully shows:

Its very simple, just start from the front and work your way back.

Cool, cheers speedtouch, I knew it was a pillar of some description, but not as comfy as the pillow I'm about to put my head on now.

If anyone wants to ask any questions feel free to ask

Nipper;124812']What track was you at? Unless I missed it. :p

Looks amazingly fun!! :D

It was Elvington Airfield just outside York. I can't find a pic of the track so heres one I drew earlier (note, not very good as in MSPaint)

[ATTACH]6566[/ATTACH]

That makes it look bigger than it was and it was set out with cones, 4 laps (1 out lap and 1 in lap) lasted about 10mins

looked like some real fun i should hopefully being doing something like that for my 21st birthday cannot wait, you got any links or info about the place you booked your driving day with

Yep loads, expect a PM just after this post.

No fair. I'd never get a chance like that here in Singapore. I'd kill for just a ride in any of those cars, let alone drive them!

How old are you and what are the requirements for taking part?

I'm 22, depends on whewre you go some tracks say as long as you have a full manual licence (so 17yrs old to get that over here) and others like Thruxton, Silverstone and other big circuits say 21yrs old. Some tracks supply race boots and gloves aswell as helmets. Also some require you to wear full length sleeves on t-shirts and trousers (no shorts)

Heres some other things:

You must hold a full driving license and be legal to drive on the UK roads. The restrictions for all the vehicles and equipment are height between 120 - 200cm and weight below 18 stone. Please check before you book that you meet the requirements

Also they do a junior experiance, you don't get to rag it as much as I did but you still get to drive it, again hieght and wieght limits apply.

Looks extremely fun :D Especially on a proper "track". I once got a ride in a Lotus Elise (The one with 280 HP I think?) on a closed parking lot with cones :D

Well mine was only round an airfield with a few cones (some people still mnaged to go through them, someone in the atom locked up on bracking and just carried on going, lol

You drove R8, LP640, Atom, 360CS and DB9 in one day. :O You`re soooo lucky...and had a great time. Congratz. ;)

And had a slow speed ride in a RR Supercharged and a high speed ride in a BMW M3 CSL :D

If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? it sounds like a great christmas or birthday present :)

Well it was a bit for this one £495, which tbh was good for what I got as some around that price the cars are not as good, i.e. they have a low end porsche in there or a Scooby or Evo. Some around that let you do 3 cars then half a day Rally driving its all about finding what you want.

I've just PM'd Khevo with some links, I can forward them to you if you want. Same for anyone if you want some links to sites that do these PM me and I'll send them to you.

Wow looks amazing. I was looking into this at thurxton (you just need a driving licence there, not be 21). Similar kind of thing but more expensive and worse cars, but you do get a Formula Renault.

Anyway must be well cool to drive an LP640 even if you didn't like it :) and the atom i bet is brilliant, the speed of the thing.

Wow looks amazing. I was looking into this at thurxton (you just need a driving licence there, not be 21). Similar kind of thing but more expensive and worse cars, but you do get a Formula Renault.

Anyway must be well cool to drive an LP640 even if you didn't like it :) and the atom i bet is brilliant, the speed of the thing.

The LP640 was a great car but it was probably due to the seating position and the instructor as to why it werent that good. The Atom is one car that you must drive before you get old, it is immense and this one was the Atom 2 so it had the supercharged Honda Type R engine unlike the Atom 1 which had the MG Engine in it.

Oh a little correction ... with some car companies the rear pillar is always called the D pillar whether it has a B or C pillar or not ... and sometimes you have a combined C/D pillar ... all very confusing ... trust me!

You lost me at the word "oh"

Looking nice, I must do a day like this when I have had my license for long enough.

Forgot to mention about the breakdowns, we had a Ferrari 360 die, had smoke pouring out the exhuast pipes, a murci span, someone locked up in th Atom and drove through the chicane near the pit. The funniest moment had to be when the Gallardo Spyder (noisey thing it was) broke down, it got towed back to the pits by a Renault Clio, yes you did read that right a Lambo being towed by a clio.

Also had this gallardo with some Nice exhausts:

[ATTACH]6569[/ATTACH]

They are silencers as it didn't meet the noise level requirement, I must admit its sister (the Spyder) was extremely loud, probably the loudest that day.

Cheers Drift, yeah it was. Just thought of something else, whilst I was in the DB9 I nearly went into the back of the LP640. We both over took the Atom iirc after the chicane and when we come up to the bottom corner I braked as normal, a b it earlier as I was following the LP640 but the LP640 virtually stopped so I had to go down another gear and break even harder. I had good distance between the two but the instructor must of needed a change of underwear.

Would've been good writing out the insurence form, "as I was braking from 100mph into a corner.........." lol