We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Rumourmill: Lamborghini working on two rear-wheel-drive cars for 2009

Nodz86

Rumormill: Lamborghini working on two rear-wheel-drive cars for 2009

by Frank Filipponio on Dec 18th 2008 at 7:01PM

lp640sv.jpg

Those who have been praying for a two-wheel drive Lamborghini, your wishes may have been granted twofold. De Telegraaf is reporting that Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann has confirmed not one, but two different rear-drive-only Lambos for 2009. First up will be a Murciélago LP640-2 with 640 HP coming from its mid-mounted longitudinal V12. The "2" at the end of the moniker signifies two-wheel-drive, separating it from the current LP640-4 equipped with AWD. It's still possible this model will be dubbed SV for Super Veloce. It's no Diablo SVTT or Murcielago R-GT, but it'll do.

Next up will be the a new Superleggera Gallardo LP560-2, as in Superlight Gallardo, with a longitudinal 560 HP engine in back, also driving the rear wheels. That should keep the Gallardo neck-and-neck with the Scuderia from arch-nemesis Ferrari. The elimination of the AWD equipment should save quite a few kilos and make the driving experience a bit hairier for anyone intent on stepping up to wrestle these bulls. Expect to see them late next year, possibly as 2010 models.

Gallery: Lamborghini Murcielago SV - spy shots

• w_lambolp640sv_priddy2_thumbnail.jpg
  • w_lambolp640sv_priddy3_thumbnail.jpg
  • w_lambolp640sv_priddy4_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Autotelegraaf.nl]

yea i suppose, i don't think Lambo have any new flagships in the works but apparently ferrari is going for a Cayenne beater that will be rumoured with a 550 BHP V10 and 7 speed DSG gearbox.

and Mazda's furai is looking promising for racing as a prototype car cuz after next year cars have to be closed in LMP class, and the furai is a closed cabin car built on a pescarolo C65 chassis, with a 3 rotor rotary making 450 ish BHP, making it a possible LMP2 car, but i'm sure Wankel's are banned from LeMans now after the 787B just dominated and they got told that Wankels were an "unfair weight advantage"

Lambo has the 4 seater in works but thats all i think

i said flagship tho, meaning like the murcie/diablo and countach were, they also have a new espada in the works and something called "emboloda" or something, not sure on the name of that 1 but it's disgusting!

new espada: http://www.bangkoksupercar.com/forum/uploads/ToonSEL/2008-01-07_131948_lambo.espada.500.jpg

orignal espada: http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh224/rarzi/800px-LamboEspada.jpg

I've seen this before, Its a Murcie SV and Gallardo LP560-2 Superleggera, and they will probably make the last version of the Murcie, anyways a 2 Wheel Drive Murcie would kick arse!

Edit: Now I feel so lucky seeing an LP560 in real life! :p even though it wasn't the best view ever, good thing the car that I was in('06 Navigator) was high, otherwise I wouldn't see it