We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Hardcore Mode?

RX_37

All Hardcore mode does is add quite a lot of understeer to the car and makes the braking distance a bit longer.

You can drive in Hardcore mode with your Driving Aide on and your car will rarely break out in a slide.

Hardcore mode is way more realistic that the regular mode. That was the point of it.

May I say somethin'? Thanks!

Well, I will say that both sides of this debate are wrong and right at the same time. The truth is something in between the arcade and the hard core mode. Sadly I've never driven anything with more than 100BHP so I couldn't tell which is more realistic but I guess any of these two modes are equally unrealistic, just at two opposite sides of un-realism....

the perfect sim mode would contain all the best parts of both modes and then some more.

The sim game which got the best driving physics that I know is Richard Burns Rally, both on tarmac and gravel surface. That is naturally my opinion, maybe someone else thinks different. Someone will say that LFS is better on that field, maybe he's right.

Anyway, both modes in TDU were made to be FUN, not to be an actual driving simulator. End of story. For some, the arcade mode is more fun, for others is vice versa. It's strictly a matter of oppinion.

btw I think both modes got exactly the same braking distance. Try and u'll see I could be right.;)

I have to admit, i'm not on either side here.

I like to use both modes. For some serious driving sticking to the rules of the road, it has to be normal mode. Hardcore mode is a chore when doing that because you always go too fast and then can't break for the traffic lights or spin out suddenly.

But then when I want to have some fun, doing insane jumps and generally just mucking about, I will switch to hardcore mode because it's a lot more fun if you are not being serious about driving etc.. especially if you are with someone who also has hardcore mode on, for example Danger Sponge. ;)

So, at the end of the day it depends. It depends if you want to drive like a Maniac with no care for other road users or you want to settle down and drive like an old man. :D :cheeky:

• 2 weeks later...

When I read though these discussions about HC vs Normal modes I often wonder if I am playing the same game.

There are the HC Drivers and the Normal Mode Drivers. HC isn't realistic but is more challenging to me. The cars corner in a more real way, although they send to be a bit slippy. I enjoy driving with the HC crowd, its just a better experience for me than what I find in Normal Mode.

Normal Mode is just too easy with little challenge for me. Its like driving on rails. Cornering is a joke. I drive it just to get enough points to open up HC mode in a profile and I cannot wait to get out of Normal Mode.

But ... to each there own ...

There is noting sweeter than a HC cruise with everyone driving well and having fun ...

• 2 weeks later...
When I read though these discussions about HC vs Normal modes I often wonder if I am playing the same game.

So was I after a while :P

But i might agree with that both sides has advantages but it's still 70/30 in favor of Normal mode for realism in this game for me.

I was watching some videos of NFS Shift too and the cars there didn't struggle that much to turn pretty sharp at high speeds there either. Don't know about the handling in that game tho as i havent played it YET, but it looks pretty decent.

Btw nice to read someone who is agreeing with me :D

Handling in NFS Shift is still a little off compared to real life, but I'm sure we can all agree that there is no such thing as a 100% realistic game when it comes to driving. Some are very very very close, but its next to impossible IMHO.

Anyways back on track, the handling on NFS:S is the closest thing I've seen yet when it comes to driving games. (havent played any of those fancy GTR legends games etc etc. I've only played Gran Turismo for the PS2, and TDU) The cars will b-slap you if you screw up, and getting the entry and exit velocities is an important thing.

ALSO. I'm gonna admit that I have very limited driving experience, and I honestly havent taken any corners at over 100 km/h. However, I have been in a car thats taken corners at speeds up to 180 km/h and I'm gonna have to agree with the HC crowd on this one. Its all about the balance. I've kept up to normal mode cars in Tantalus for gods sake! You can drive just as fast as a normal mode person if your paying attention to the road.

Just so I can back up the car comment, heres my car that I've been working on with my dad.

Just so I can back up the car comment, heres my car that I've been working on with my dad.

That's not an obvious car choice for cornering tho :lol:

Still, it looks nice. I wouldn't mind having one.

But taking corners at 180 is rather impossible tho unless you're driving on a Nascar track or smth like that, and they don't really have corners... :P That's just a bend in the road.

• 1 month later...