We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Car mods not working ... ?

Methoddan

Hello,

I thought I'd have a look what car replacement mods had been released for TDU2, found a few I liked and downloaded them.

I figured out that in order to install, I'd have to unpack my game. I found a little archive to download for that, followed the unpack command, let it do its thing; and that bit seems to have gone smoothly.

Next step, which seemed fairly straightforward, and was the same for all the car mods I had downloaded, was to backup the original .bnk files and replace them with the new ones from each mod, in the various subdirectories of the vehicles folder, such as 'high', 'interiors', 'med' and 'rim'.

So, I took the original files I intended on replacing and put them in a backup folder, somewhere completely different, on a different hard drive of my computer even, and then put the files that came with the mods into the game's bnk folders instead. And I did this for each mod, in each directory as it should be.

However, when I start the game (through the 1.5 universal launcher, if that's of any relevance), the game works fine, no crashes or anything, but the mods haven't taken effect, and what I find really weird considering that the original car files aren't even on the same hard drive any more, is that the original cars show up, instead of the mod ones.

One thing I am wondering; each mod came with files for 'high' and 'med' res, but the original game has files for 'low' res as well, under the 'med' directory. I tried changing the graphics settings a few times in case that had anything to do with it; but the original cars were still there. Also, one of the mods did have a replavement file for the 'low' res version (as well as med and high res) so it's very odd that that one didn't work.

Obviously, I must be missing something. Is there some sort of magicmap equivalent for TDU2, or have I missed out some important step here ?

I've double checked and yes, none of the original files (for the cars intended to be replaced) are still in the game directory, and the directories do contain all the files for the mod cars.

If anyone could enlighten me, I'd sure appreciate it; these mods seem to be working for everybody else, so the problem must be somewhere on my end.

- Dan

EDIT: sorted it out. Apparently it had something to do with certain files not being in a backup folder.

Sure :)

I googled 'TDU2 unpack' and it was one of the first results that I clicked on to find out how to unpack the game. I think it was somewhere on this site, actually. I downloaded the little thing and started extracting; in the meantime I read the comments on the post. One person said their game kept crashing, and they found out it was because one file had been put in a 'backup' folder; so they put the file back into the game directory and it worked again. So, I thought - without having tested it beforehand - that I may as well put whatever was put into the backup folder back into the game directory to start with, to avoid the problem altogether. So I did.

Then, I went about replacing all the mod car files in the various bnk directories of the now unpacked game, tried running it, and the mods didn't work, hence my confusion.

I then looked at the game folder, and noticed that actually, those files i'd taken out of 'backup' back into the game folder were actually the original, packed files of the game - and that when I launched the game, it was reading off of them instead of the new unpacked folders where I had my modded files; so I put them (all '.big' and '.map' files if I remember - or something like that anyway) back in the 'backup' folder, tried again, and this time it all worked how it should; the mods were in the game, working perfectly.

- Dan

Appreciate your help mate

But my game doesn't start if the .bigs are in the backup folder .... whatever i did it will crash, so i cut them to the game directory, replace the mod files, run with unilauncher ..... and bam, no mods to be found ...... so i move my .bigs again to the backup folder . and the game won't start .... i tried recopying the mod files when the .bigs are in the backup folder, but still no luck, have i misunderstood you or am i missing something here ... please help me mate, i'm crazed for that aventador Reventon09 Released today ... and sorry to disturb your quiet, peacefull life :( :confused:

No problem :)

I'm not much into modding or programming, so there's only so much I can do to help; but I'll try my best.

I'm assuming that, like me, you unpacked your game by downloading the archive with the four files, placing them in the game directory, and running 'unpack.cmd'.

That, for me anyway, created a 'backup' folder in my main game directory, inside which all of the .big and .map files are - I currently have none in the main game directory, meaning the game is running from the unpacked files instead - which include the modded car files.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm running the game with Knyazev'x TDU2 Universal Launcher (I upgraded to v1.5 today, though it did work with the v1.0 I had before). Obviously whatever I'm doing doesn't require any .big or .map files in the game folder, as it's working fine now.

I have no clue whether any applied updates/patches or the fact that I have the exploration pack has anything to do with it, but I doubt it.

I guess my advice would be try to universal launcher if you don't have it; and if that's already what you're doing ... erm... hope that somebody that knows a bit more than me can help you out :s

Also yes - props to Reventon09, he's done some awesome work. I love how he's released a nice variety of cars from different ages for the game, there's something for everybody. I'd LOVE to see the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 in this game (hint hint)...

• 4 months later...

So your saying that you didnt actually have the mod car files in the vehicules folder, and they were just the original? I backed up my files for the Scuderia and replaced the files with the BNK's for the Novitec package, and it still didnt work. I did the same thing for the gembella porsche on my clk-63 AMG. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

ok just to clear up any confusion. you CANNOT have .big or .map files left over in the main game folder. The game will NOT work properly ( if at all ) even if you have just 1 .big file sat in the main game folder. For one simple reason, you cannot have both packed and unpacked data at the same time when you start the game, it confuses the crap out of the game and so it crashes.

You MUST use universal launcher ( not up launcher) as uplauncher does a file check and will replace any missing .big/.map files where as universal launchers whole purpose was that it does not do a file check.

Mods will NOT work if you have big/map files in the game folder. because the game will read the big/map files first rather than reading the unpacked data. As the mods live in the unpacked game data they never get read so it appears like they didnt work, they probably do work but you wont see them coz the game is reading a different set of files ( the packed ones )

If you have unpacked the game, moved all the .big/.map files to the backup folder and the game is crashing, then you have done something wrong. Do not even contemplate adding mods until you know for sure the game will start up and run ok. If it crashes go back and double check that no big/map files were left over, if they were move them to the backup folder. If you had moved them all, then it means you didn't unpack the game properly. so go back over what you did and see where you went wrong. Once the game is up and running ok in unpacked mode THEN you can think about adding mods to the game