We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Assetto Corsa {DT} - General Discussion Thread

Ryzza5

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've recently bought AC and I can see there'll be future DLC's and I'm wondering... If this is the right way to go.

I mean, there are plenty of free to play games out there, War Thunder and DCS comes to my mind. These games/sims have DLC's to add planes, but come on, they are not asking a single penny for the complete simulation or gfx engine so we can say that is fair if they want you to pay for a new plane.

In the case of AC I can see the opposite, some of us paid for an early access version (aka beta). Many others will pay for the full version, which I think will be slightly more expensive. So what's the point of making people pay for more cars/tracks when they've already paid for a full (or "full") game/sim. If there's something great about PC gaming is that for many time we haven't had to pay for any additional content (except of those who are on the flight sim scene). I think this console gaming trend is migrating to PC and I don't like it... Why they can't just have a full game with plenty of cars and make us pay a bit more, but we make sure to have a full game without any other DLC's if we want to enjoy all of the car or track list. Anyways, this is my point of view. I hope that I'm wrong and we won't have to pay more to enjoy a full game.

Regards and happy new year ;)

Aren't the majority of today's games "pay now and buy DLC later"?

If the majority of us voted with our wallets and didn't buy the DLC then we wouldn't be in this scenario, so how can you blame them...

I thought the majority of AC content would be (free) mods anyway, no I wouldn't be panicking just yet, plus there are plenty of PC sims to choose from with different payment plans.

Anyway, expect AI to be added in an update soon:

If the majority of us voted with our wallets and didn't buy the DLC then we wouldn't be in this scenario, so how can you blame them...

I thought the majority of AC content would be (free) mods anyway, no I wouldn't be panicking just yet, plus there are plenty of PC sims to choose from with different payment plans.

Anyway, expect AI to be added in an update soon:

pretty much majority of the titles on steam I see are not finished. I think everyone is trying to follow the minecraft model which is a shame because it sucks.

Yes you're right, and that's the problem. There's people out there willing to pay for game content, and of course game developers take advantage of this, after all they want to make money. I'm on the "voting with the wallet" side of this, but it seems it's not a big part of us.

The great thing that made me buy AC was the modding potential, which I hope will be "unleashed" after v1.0. It has many things to become the next rFactor, when it comes to modifying the sim. I hope that modders don't take the flight sim path, where many of the greatest planes are payware

I'll be waiting the next update, coming on jan 17th, that will bring the GTR!

Kind regards!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of Stuff about AC

Sorry, rather a large write up.. When i start rambling i just keep on going :D

While yes there WILL be paid for DLC, that is for BIG ticket items only.

You wont EVER have to pay for updates or career mode or things like that.. all that stuff IS free. In fact more cars and a few tracks are still to be added before V1.0 is out. But one of the first sets of DLC (due out AFTER V1.0) is the dream pack, which will contain some cars and at least 1 track which will be Nurburgring Nordschleife (The big track..) And it will be Laser scanned for ultimate accuracy (users voted on which track they wanted in the DLC and nurburgring came first).

But the emphasis is not going to be on DLC because most of the content will be coming from users. they made the game deliberately with modding in mind, thats why all the game files and things are easy to get at which will get you some cool things if you poke around. Your apps that you have down the side of the screen, there are like 5 or 6 that are hidden, you can only access them if you alter one of the config files and unlock "Dev apps" And while they have now introduced AI its actually been available for a while. i was racing against AI drivers 2 updates ago.. ( by altering a differnt file and turning on Race mode)

The quality of the mods being made so far are amazing.. The car mods ( that cannot be put in the game just yet) are all really high quality, all made by already established modders from other games, such as Rfactor, along with several CG guys (like me) who have experience in splitting models into parts. The new car skins/paint setups are nice and sharp, with Many different ones already available ( like 10 pages of them)

Heres an example of how moddable they wanted the game. There is a folder inside the Root AC folder called "DEV" in it they give you a skin template for every car in the game. And im not just talking a wire mesh of the car body or a black n white shape of a car. they give you a multi layered PSD file. you have your basic "paint layer" but then they also have all the layers for bump, shadows, ambient occlusions, reflection stuff like that. So you only need to paint the main car layer, then unhide and flatten the entire PDS and you automatically have all the shading around vents and under body panels, stuff like that, already set for you. Its like every layer you need to make a fully shaded, highlighted paint scheme they have included for you.

All the cars and tracks will derive from FBX objects, which you will make in whatever 3d modelling app you wish, then import it into the Dev tool to set everything up. In the case of a car, all the things like names for the different parts, the various settings files for the physics of the car.. In the case of a track, where the start is, the pit lane, setting the driving line that sort of thing. But the dev (mod) tools wont be out until at least V1.0

Regarding tracks... While it will NOT be possible to do stuff like free roam driving ( as the game is really a circuit based racer) it is NOT required to have a looped circuit.. We have a drag strip track, thats not a loop, its more like a Sprint/ point to point track. So open ended tracks will be possible. And if any of you have seen that RBR track that SOME HOW someone figured how to make it work in Assetto Corsa, that was one loooong sprint track.

Regarding cars.. If like me you have unpacked/imported AC cars into a 3d modelling app, you will easily see how they make the cars.. Its actually quite similar to TDU carmods, in respects to dummies and the like. Like TDU when you make a car, you have say... the car body a wheel and a dummy in between, to designate the rotational point, or you have a dummy on the door where the hinge would be to set that as the rotational point. AC cars are setup the same way. But i suspect those dummies will need to be added with the devtools. As they say you can make a car in any 3d app you like. But dummies ( also called Null objects) are handled differently in different apps. Some apps see dummies as a nothingness no physical geometry, just a name and a position in XYZ space. in other apps a dummy/null is handled as a singular point in space. So i suspect you will just make the model and split it into its parts in the 3d app then import that as an FBX into the devtools and add the dummies to it.. then compile the mod and all its associated files into a single KN5 file

We even know how to make brand new (not replacement) "special events" If you want a "beat the lap time" we can make one of those, if you want to drag race the Tatuus F abarth we can make that.. We can even make extra AI race special events.

They gave us 4 race events as a "taste" of whats to come (mainly because the AI is only complete on half the cars) but they wanted us to be able to play with it so they released it, Well a few of us started poking around the files and we figured A LOT of stuff out about the special events..

So last week I (yes me :hiya:) released a brand new AI race special event.. 10 KTM X-bow's (you and 9 AI) on the magione track over 5 laps.. Not only that but a few days ago i also cracked something else. While all those AI races are just "quickrace" mode, there is also a "race weekend" mode, which consists of a practice session, a qualifying session and then the race. Its not built into the game properly yet (qualifying is setup ready to be added, but its currently not finished) i did find out how to make "special event race weekends" Just they cannot be used yet as its not in the game.

In fact i can make ANY kind of special event (7 to choose from) practise, qualifying, quickrace, hotlap, time attack, drift and drag, you can also mix n match several types into one event. so you could have a practice session then jump into a race, or do a hotlap session then jump into a time attack, The race weekend is actually made up of 3 types in one event, type 1 practice, then type 2 qualify, then type 3 quickrace. You can do the same thing but with any type... Quickrace, then drift ?? lol

Then of course you also have python scripting. which allows you to make any "apps" for the sidebar. You dont need to make mods that alter how the base game engine works, all that can be accessed already, most files are .cfg or .ini or .js files which can all be opened in Notepad++ and altered to whatever you want, thats how some of us already had access to race mode before the race special events were even added with an update.

Its only really ADDONS like a lap counter, or an onboard tire temp indicator stuff like that , that require python scripting.. And people have already made a few new apps for the game

They even had telemetry saving since the start of early access. you can push telemetry files into something like MOTEC's I2pro telem software and see everything the car did during the race..

This is gonna be simply amazing.... Modding thats as easy and friendly, if not easier than making stuff for Rfactor. And car physics that piss over ANY console race game (and most PC race SIMS as well)

As D Ream once sang " thiiiiiiiings can only get better"

Very nice write-up Nobby, you go into many details that a typical player wouldn't and it's all the better for it due to this. Knowing how you see this game from your own eye and what can entail and come from that is very exciting and there is no doubt that this game is going to flourish and be a gigantic success as you say. It's games like this that make me want to get a good PC and setup and just mess about with the damn thing. :cool:

i try to cover all the bases :D

While i have looked a little into how car mods are done, i dont know if i will actually get into car modding. i might do a few tracks and i will probably do a few different races.. i may be releasing tonight or tomorrow a new Special event race "The oldies" probably an 8 or 10 car race. Lotus type 49 on Monza 1966

But yeah i probably wont get that into modding for the same reasons i didnt get into modding on TDU. i could do it no problem, id only need to be shown everything once. But i mess about with cg stuff already, i run a small time cg company in my spare time, doing little jobs for companies (thats how i know id be able to do car mods for TDU or AC, most of the standard 3d principles carry over to the modding) but as i mess about with cg in pretty much all of my spare time and still never have enough time to finish it all. i really cannot dedicate any more time to some other cg related projects. id just have no time for my regular cg stuff. So i may have a crack at doing cars or tracks for AC but i doubt im gonna do many of them..

Special event races are easy, its just a text file. takes about 10 mins to knock up a special event race ..

BTW if anyone wants to unlock standard "quickrace" so you can pick any car, any track and however many opponents you want, it can be done very easily..

Just go to AssettoCorsa/Launcher/Themes/Default/Modules/EarlyAccess/ in there you will find a file called earlyaccess.js (the icon looks like a little scroll of paper) just open that in notepad++ and look for the section that says.....

var todisable = [

"#menu li[data-panel=career]",

"#drive .tabs li[data-mode=raceweekend]",

"#drive .tabs li[data-mode=quickrace]",

"#drive .tabs div[data-mode=online]",

"#drive .gridtabs .single",

"#drive .gridtabs .random",

];

All you have to do is delete the line in orange.. resave the file and when you start up, you can go to the Race menu and choose a car a track and some opponents.. If you want to unlock (delete) the other lines you can as well, i deleted all 6 lines. Most of it isnt even in the game yet, but as soon as they give us access to it (like they have now given us small access to quickrace) it means it has to be in the game so those things will then be available to you outside of special events..

Remember to make a copy of the original file as a backup ( you can leave it in the same folder i called mine BACKUP-earlyaccess.js)

Also its worth looking around some of the other folders at the various files. Some of the css, ini files and config files can unlock some funky stuff.. turn on Ghost car laps, Turn off camera shake, change the colour of the ire smoke... its all very easy to gain access to. you just need notepad++ lol

Am I the only one that wants to fast-forward time to when the DLC comes out?:D

The developers still surprise us.No Porsche, but I guess there is no worthy substitute for Porsche other than RUF.Hope we get a modern RUF as well, I honestly love every iteration of the 911, since the original, to the latest 991.

I guess we're just going to have to wait till September...sigh

At least I have time to save up for a G27.

Once we get past V1.0 we can have ANY car or track we like. They will be giving us the tools to make our own content. The whole sim is designed to be "user content" friendly, they want us to make stuff for it.

There is no reason we couldnt have porsche. If i remember correctly, the previous licensing agreement with i think it was EA (or whoever it was) expired. Games are allowed to go after porsche licenses again..

Hi. I just read this post

Soon after the release of Assetto Corsa v.1.0 final, we will be opening our 1 month pre-order phase, providing you with a 50% saving on the final package – that’s right, 10 cars and the Nordschleife.

Can someone explain what this means ? I need to buy game again ? And how much it will coast ? I have game on steam and for play full game i need to buy it again ?