We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza or Gran-Turismo

HuuuuuuH

Hello,

I want to play a new racing sim..i have xbox 360 but i can also take ps3 from a friend,what do you think?

And i want TopGear's track in it..or to download it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grab Race Injection from Steam, it's a good sim although a bit old (you'll need a wheel to enjoy it properly), and there are LOADS of free mod tracks at websites such as nogripracing.com

As for FM4 v GT5, I've played both with a full wheel/pedal.H shifter setup. FM4 has better sounds, a good selection of cars, but I find it all a bit too dry/clinical in it's presentation. I'm not a fan of it's selection of tracks (besides the Alps), and overall it was a little too similar to FM3 content wise. I could never find a stable online race either in public lobbies (only when in a private party). We don't know if FM5 will be on the 360 or the yet Infinity either. Finally, despite having a Forza logo on the wheel (CSR Elite), it was always tough to get the wheel feeling nice with Forza 4 & Horizon. Always felt edgy, hard to drive smooth. I did enjoy thrashing the hatchbacks around early on in the game though. Just got bored as the cars got faster and the career mode got repetitive/monotonous.

GT5, sounds are bad (some DLC cars are good though), visuals aren't that brilliant (racing visuals, not photos which take considerable time to render), steering wheel feel is a lot more natural, one of the best neutral FF feelings you'll find, although hard to hold drifts due to how much/hard the wheel spins (which for all I know is somewhat realistic). Career feels a bit more structured, like you're making progress (future levels are hidden to avoid overwhelming), and if you get bored you jump into other sections (license, special event, season events, online), online multiplayer is very good and stable, as is the general level of driving of your opponents. Lobbies will often label if they race clean or dirty so you can choose. I didn't own previous GT games since I never had the PS2 so I can't comment on content copying, although I was happy to see some GT1 tracks return (could've improved the graphics of them though). And of course GT6 is confirmed for PS3 if you're taking the future into consideration. Plus the PS3 supports more steering wheels than the Xbox if you have one, want one.

In the end I've spent countless hours in GT5, but only a few (maybe <15) in FM4. I've found FM advertising is very good at making me want the game, but somehow I end up just a bit underwhelmed. Doesn't stop me enjoying picking a nice car from time to time and enjoying it, just I can't sustain the play for very long.

If you have the chance to play both then certainly go for both. You have an Xbox yourself so for sure pick-up one of the more recent games like FM3 or FM4. There's a lot to like about Forza with the car selection, the tracks and the sound! There is no better console game where the sounds are so good, GT is dire in comparison compared to what some may [try to] say. Once you have had you fill with Forza then swap with your mate and strap in for some GT deliciousness, if you can grab a wheel then it will make the experience even better and imo GT is the better racer when using a wheel. :)

If you enjoy driving cars, get Forza
I found the opposite, there is still no console experience in a racing game that eclipses for me just lapping the Nurburgring in GT5 with a Logitech G25. Well maybe apart from RACE Pro and Spa but that's a proper-sim after all. :p

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying how I find these games

I found the opposite, there is still no console experience in a racing game that eclipses for me just lapping the Nurburgring in GT5 with a Logitech G25. Well maybe apart from RACE Pro and Spa but that's a proper-sim after all. :p

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just saying how I find these games

No, I know what you mean. But from what I know, GT5 got really boring really fast whereas Forza 4 has a really good multiplayer experience (when it works) to keep you interested. I'm not a fanboy as I really enjoyed the older GTs but atm I'd just get Forza 4 (maybe Horizon to go with it) and consider that PS3 once GT6 comes out.

If you enjoy collecting cars, get GT5

If you enjoy driving cars, get Forza

I find it the other way round actually.

Car's in real life don't want to to snap into a drift whenever I enter a corner at 30mph like forza....And I've done a comparison with a car in each game and IRL! (AW11 MR2)

Just pointing my opinion.

What Ryzza said is near bang on the nail.

Don't count on me, I've only tested it. I think you can have fun with a controller too, depends on what you're looking for in your experience. If you're looking on the most realistic possible experience, you should get GT5 and play it with a wheel but if you're just looking for a fun game, I'd say Forza.

If you're wanting to do that then GT5 with the wheel is where you want to go. However the sounds in GT can really dampen the enjoyment as they are that bad in most cases.

In Forza I turn the music off to listen to the engine sounds.

In GT I turn up the music to drown out the crap engine sounds.

I've never had issues with connection in Forza unless the server was actually down.

I don't mind paying for live either, because that transaction between us forces responsibility on M$ to sort out any issues.

Lets face it a month of live is cheaper than a pack of ciggy's anyway.

Paying for Xbox Live is one of the biggest rips of the last generations due to it being P2P, now if it was dedicated servers then fair enough but P2P is taking the piss. Compared to PSPlus, Microsoft are a joke and people are actually starting to notice this now.

Guest MrLolololXD

The PS3 console and games are always more expensive than the Xbox equivalents though, so paying for the XBL subscription kinda makes up the price difference, I don't really see it as an extra expense over the PS3.

When I went to buy a console, GT5, which was 2 years old at the time, was still more expensive than FM4 which wasn't even released yet by about $20. In the end it mainly came down to GT5's sounds being so woeful that I bought the Xbox and FM4 instead.

I've played both with the controllers and I'd much rather play Forza and that's the one I keep going back to.

As has already been said, the sounds are mind blowing in Forza compared to those of GT. All of the Forza cars have a decent cockpit view(not sure what all the GT ones are like since that update but from what I saw a lot of the standard ones looked very basic at best). It's been a while but I don't remember there being anywhere near as many races in GT as in Forza and I got to the top tier thing in GT. The handling in both are very good imo but again I prefer Forza as I like sliding around alot. Car customisation also has a lot more depth in Forza over GT, both performance and visually.

Overall I prefer Forza, it just feels like a more compete game to me.

Paying for Xbox Live is one of the biggest rips of the last generations due to it being P2P, now if it was dedicated servers then fair enough but P2P is taking the piss...

I'm still happy with it. ;)

[For me the problem is more with the fact that in this generation, everyone, and I mean everyone expects everything for nothing... and when they don't get it they go and take it from somewhere with some sneaky bypass.

I was sat in a police station today (on business) and I local chap walked in and interrupted the meeting we were having with the Police Chief, so he could get a discount on his speeding fines. He negotiated a 50% discount but was still not happy because he'd just paid off the fines on his other car. "Why should I have to pay speeding fines on both my cars?"

Why do we all get so annoyed when we have to pay for a service? Someone somewhere has worked or is working to provide it... surely its only fair that they are compensated for that. I know for sure no one here would work if they didn't get paid.]

Guest MrLolololXD

That's a good point Cmfl has, if you want a cockpit view don't bother with GT5, get FM4.

Because all of the cars have that camera view, unlike in GT5 :p