We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

EA Drops Online Pass

Camel

EA have announced that they are stopping the use of online passes in new games. Those of us who would rather wait a while and pick up the game second hand can now enjoy full online capability for no extra cost. Although it looks like you will still need the online pass to play games that shipped with it in the past few years.

But does this mean that they'll just bump up the prices of the games to begin with?

Source: BBC News

I understand it's easy to jump on the EA hate bandwagon especially if you're a Mass Effect fan.

I personally don't mind them having the passes, or not.. Every major title I've bought from EA was bought brand new therefore the pass came with the game. If the passes cut down on torrented console versions of the game, good, I'm happy it worked. I understand the pass was also to cut into the profit of someone buying the game used which that, I understand too.

Plus, since I started playing most of my games on PC, online passes aren't a thing anyway.

Screw Mass Effect. You consider EA titles such as Fifa. That EA Online Pass has been put there so that you are forced to buy the game at the cheapest price possible for a new copy garanteeing full profit to EA instead of the gaming stores who were forced to raise their prices on used games. With the policy in place, the gamer is the one to suffer by having to pay out maximum price possible even though the games profit period has finished.

Let's hope they've learned their lesson & start making the right choices like EA used to do. They were such a brilliant publisher if you remember back in the day.

Weren't they OCEAN before that or did they buy them? I can't remember. :think:

Ocean where originally a dev. company in association with Electronic Arts but owned by Atari (starting with the spectrum) then they bought the rights after Ecco's success on SEGA through a variety of smaller game studios.

Future Cop: LAPD is the pinicle wonder years for me for Electronic Arts. They've never been the same since.