We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Bought my first car

And3rs

Hey guys! Long time no see.

Some of you might remember me. I used to be active on this forum a while ago, so I thought it might be interesting for you to see what kind of car I would be buying as my first one. I could be wrong, but you know, I'll take the chance ;) I picked up my first car on the 23rd of December and have since detailed it and done a few minor mods. Before you see the photos, let me tell you my parents did help when I were to find work to save for the car, and with the actual process buying it, but I paid it all myself. I'm not 18 yet so I dont have a license yet, but I can drive it as long as my dad is in the passenger seat. It's only a few weeks left till I'm 18 anyway.

So here it is!

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/E3AAAD54-681E-4709-BF98-326C093B7AAB.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/4A82C534-9EC7-40AF-B9EF-EB33D2C63E69.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/20388170-FDBE-4E2C-8484-2FBC7C2F4A85.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/2C78D644-B55C-4865-B7E9-87CC039F73E9.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/ACB670AB-2614-4A1D-8F1C-040DBF7E5CF3.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/78B3980F-9A5E-45C5-BDAF-EFFC5ED35F4C.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/00C26390-DD4D-4E5D-9760-E6471E920F02.jpg

In case you missed the photos above, it's a 2007 Mazda MX-5 Roadster Coupe (yes, that's what the european power retractable hardtop models are called) 1.8 in True Red with black leather interior and a sports exhaust system fitted. It's only done 34 900 km.

I have many mods planned, for instance I really don't like how high it sits atm, and those winter wheels are pretty ugly. I'm planning to lower the car 50-60mm with Eibach springs, put winter tires on the original Mazda 16" rims and get some gunmetal matte TSW Nurburgring 17" for summer. Its gonna look a lot better then. Quick photoshop of how it will look:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mazda%20MX-5/TSWmattegunmetal.jpg

Hope you like it.

- Anders

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.. Thank you guys! :D I really appreciate each and every post.

The car is damn fun to drive, in fact I´ll rate it as the second most fun to drive car I´ve driven, and I´ve driven 83 other cars. That includes a 2013 Porsche Boxster which uhm yeah, happens to be number one...

Did I mention I got a great price on the car? It ended up being the cheapest third generation MX-5 in Norway, costing me only $24500............. Damn you taxes. I worked my ass off for two years but it was well worth it!

For those of you surprised, you don't seem to realize how well-off Norwegians are. Norway's GPD per capita is something like $60k, as opposed to, for example, Latvia's, which I doubt has ever exceeded $18k, and it's even way higher than the UK's. Minimum wage up there is 14 times higher than it is over here. So yes, working for two years even on minimum wage would earn him that amount of money. As for the price, as safiro said, the taxes they put on cars are insane. You think you have it bad in the UK with insurance? Nah. I think the volume of the taxes is determined by the weight and engine capacity, so for the MX-5 it wouldn't be so bad in comparison, but I know people who have had to pay double the car's initial price. (Source: a Norwegian mate with a V12 BMW grand tourer)

To the OP, glad you know where to put your earnings, car's top notch. Good luck with your license!

For those of you surprised, you don't seem to realize how well-off Norwegians are. Norway's GPD per capita is something like $60k, as opposed to, for example, Latvia's, which I doubt has ever exceeded $18k, and it's even way higher than the UK's. Minimum wage up there is 14 times higher than it is over here. So yes, working for two years even on minimum wage would earn him that amount of money. As for the price, as safiro said, the taxes they put on cars are insane. You think you have it bad in the UK with insurance? Nah. I think the volume of the taxes is determined by the weight and engine capacity, so for the MX-5 it wouldn't be so bad in comparison, but I know people who have had to pay double the car's initial price. (Source: a Norwegian mate with a V12 BMW grand tourer)

To the OP, glad you know where to put your earnings, car's top notch. Good luck with your license!

This. They may earn a lot more than in other countries, but as far as I know it's so expensive there. And the government loves hybrids/electric vehicles.

The tax is also calculated by CO2 and power output.

Wait what... $24500 ??

Haha yeah... A similar hard top MX-5 starts at $51k now, so I guess that´s about what my car cost new. It has a slight bit of extra options too like leather seats, fabric floor mats, multifunction steering wheel etc.

Nice Miata! That wheel choice looks pretty sweet too.

Thanks! I´m happy you like them.

You are right the wages are pretty high here, but don´t forget I still go to school and never had a proper job. I saved for this car doing lots of different work here and there, like painting houses and detailing cars. I detailed over 40 cars since I started saving. Because the taxes are so incredibly high, as a gear head you would be better off living in Sweden or some other country.

Paying double the initial price is very common, the worst bang for buck you can get however is if you get something like a Camaro or a Mustang. You´ll be paying 3-4 times the price of the car in taxes alone. Here´s an example: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS: $50k without license plates, 150$ with license plates. (The taxes become much lower as the car gets older, therefore the example may not match my numbers, but I think they would on a new car)

Thank you for your kind words. I hope I´ll pass the final driving test as well, would be a bummer if I had to wait longer..

This. They may earn a lot more than in other countries, but as far as I know it's so expensive there. And the government loves hybrids/electric vehicles.

The tax is also calculated by CO2 and power output.

You´re correct. Electric vehicles cost the same as in USA, no import tax, no nothing, which makes the Teslas extreme value for money here. In December, the Model S was the best selling car in Norway.. Good luck with achieving that in any other country Tesla...

Haha.. The $120 000 Boxster will have to wait xD

I will, look forward to road tripping in it in the summer. Now go get your passport ffs :p

If yous make that much money I take it you don't still have the Lexus IS?

We love the Lexus too much, my dad still doesn't have any plans of selling it :) Here's a picture from last fall, just after getting some new Vertinity rims.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mobile%20Uploads/31007CDF-538A-4A8C-86DF-98E65AA606AA.jpg

To each his own I guess. I think they compliment the chrome around the windows and the black pillars nicely, but they surely would not go that well on my car.

Yah, I just think brushed metal or just normal alloys can do the same thing though and tend to look a lot classier :)

I'm glad you like the TSW ones I have in the plans!

Yah they look great, they contrast nice against the colour of the MX-5 :D

We love the Lexus too much, my dad still doesn't have any plans of selling it :) Here's a picture from last fall, just after getting some new Vertinity rims.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/SafiroTDU/Mobile%20Uploads/31007CDF-538A-4A8C-86DF-98E65AA606AA.jpg

:hi5: In your absence my dad bought an IS220d.. we can be IS buddies! :D

Can't find any pictures online, they're all on my old PC so this is all I have:

CvtIm.jpg

:hi5: In your absence my dad bought an IS220d.. we can be IS buddies! :D

Can't find any pictures online, they're all on my old PC so this is all I have:

Ooh how cool!! :hi5: Looks great! Same engine :) Make sure your dad gets it chip tuned if he hasn't, it'll easily get over 200hp, even more tourqe (has over 400 standard I think) and better fuel economy :D

Ooh how cool!! :hi5: Looks great! Same engine :) Make sure your dad gets it chip tuned if he hasn't, it'll easily get over 200hp, even more tourqe (has over 400 standard I think) and better fuel economy :D

In an ideal world we'd get rid of the cat, DPF and EGR (that thing is such a pain) and get the IS250's dual exhaust. That alone would get you 200hp and they sound awesome :lol: But since that's not happening, and we'll probably be changing this year, we'll just "put up" with the 400NM of torque :p