We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Calsters Coffee.

calster17

I'm sure some of you know the back story, somewhat of a love affair.

I've had a thing for the little Suzuki ever since Gran Turismo 4, after finding the little car with the name of a drink I though it was funny. Turns out it was a great giant killer in the game as well. I took an interest in the thing, looking up random facts, info, dreaming how I'd like one IRL, eventually getting obsessed with the thing. The year's went by and the Gran Turismo games came out, firing my love up again. Every so often I'd look and see if any were for sale, which being a rare car in the UK makes them kinda hard to come by at times. As the years go by and life go's on I was always on the lookout. When finally able to drive and with a proper job things got even more real and the hunt to get one got fired up even more, looking at about 4 over the past 2 & a bit years traveling all over (one trip alone was 1200 miles altogether!).

Then on April 2nd, my I get a text from my dad, saying "Theres a coffee for sale on Pistonheads, its local". After finding it I could't get over that one was finally for sale locally and going cheap. Low mileage and some welding needed, seemed too good to be true! After messaging the guy and asking to have a look I had to wait 3 weeks(guy worked on the oil rigs). The day comes and we got to have a look, bodywork is good & expected from a 20 year old car and it runs sweet, and has a full history and EVERYTHING is there. Oh and it was an original UK car. It has't been on the road since 2008 and needed a bit of welding.

I took the risk and bought it for £1450. Good price considering the mileage (36k miles) and the fact that it could need the full works in terms of welding(a normal cappuccino thing). You normally pay about £2500 for one, and that's with double the miles and it could still need welding.

[ATTACH]20229[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]20230[/ATTACH]

So after years I finally own a Cappuccino, pleased as punch you could say. :cool:

After getting it moved to a garage to give it and MOT and work on the Sills, my worst fear is confirmed and it need's welding on all the normal places a expected on a Cappuccino. Can't say i never expected it, but a little gutted to say the least. But it's nothing in the grand scale of things, I half expected it and it'll be getting done!

[ATTACH]20231[/ATTACH]

Just a few of the bits...

So watch this space! As I know exactly what I'm doing to it. Be worried, this pint sized motor has't gotten named after James dean's 550 for nothing! ;)

So what exactly are you doung to it except welding the thing? :hmmm:

Congrats, by the way. ;-)

Plans. :cheeky:

And thanks. :)

Want it on the road first, (its legally a sitting paperweight just now) and have some fun over the summer.

Then there's new parts for it, basic service, tyres, exhaust(may get something a bit throaty & raspy for it) as well as new brakes. As well as getting the while underneath of the car under sealed.

Plans after than I'm keeping myself though. :nods:

Although I am planning a more in depth restore soon for it

It seems the car has seen some... Things. :lol:

Congrats too! And for a ~20 year old car, I'm surprised that the floor pan was the only major rust spot. My car is 26 years old and the rear end almost rusted off. Though it endured salt and snow.

Mine is a 1994, original UK car. It comes across that Suzuki were lazy and just took 1100 cars off the production line and installed dash's with MPH and shipped them over here with next to no rust proofing underneath. (Cars are still limited to 87mph).

The rust on mine is't as bad as they can be, personally I'm putting this down to the low mileage and guessing it was only used as a summer car. Although since 2008 & now i'm not sure it's history, and for the past few months has been sitting outside. Bodywork wise it's actually good, with just a few bits of bubbling in the expected places.

Luckily I'm off work for the next two days, so spending today going to different garages/bodyshops and seeing if they'll do it.

The good news is the work is going to go ahead, found a nice local garage that's got a good reputation. Also they used to do the servicing on the exact car a good few years ago! Guys told me the whole plan and i'm happy with it. Not just a simple patch up, and also making the sills for it so should be able to get it under sealed sooner. Bad news is I'm not sure when it'll be done, the guys on holiday next week and then of course he'll be doing the work between doing other jobs, but im okay with this.

Gives me time to price parts and such, from the luggage rack for the boot to other stuff. ;)

Hopefully before June, but I'm not in a huge rush really. I mean I've waited 8 years...whats another month. :lol:

Just don't start fiddling with it like Mellors did with his Mini :)

That's very good advice.

Just don't get in to the "May as well replace this thingy majig whilst I'm at it" mentality when working on it. It will cost you many thousands and many more years. :lol:

You should know my way of things....

"I should maybe do something about that, oh well I'll get round to it"

And a few months later and it's still how it was, much like the sticky caliper on the Civic. :lol:

For the record, the caliper should be replaced, but bothered getting round to it and it doesn't stick if i take it off and WD40 the right parts...

• 1 month later...

Bump for more progress info!

Also, your attitude can also apply to the Civic's suspension.

"I really should raise this *clunk* a little bit *clunk* Oh, that? That was just a *clunk* stone *clunk* in the road."

I'd never been in the Civic before that day you gave me a lift home from the garage when I dropped off the Audi for its clutch and stuff. It was an eye-opener!

Also, I wish I had space for more than one car. I'd totally have another MX-5 again. :(

Bump for more progress info!

Also, your attitude can also apply to the Civic's suspension.

"I really should raise this *clunk* a little bit *clunk* Oh, that? That was just a *clunk* stone *clunk* in the road."

I'd never been in the Civic before that day you gave me a lift home from the garage when I dropped off the Audi for its clutch and stuff. It was an eye-opener!

Also, I wish I had space for more than one car. I'd totally have another MX-5 again. :(

The progress is much the same, waiting for the welding still. :/ Place have been keeping my updated still which is something, a case of the guy will buff down a bit to begin welding then see a bit more needs done and so it go's on. Also the past week and a bit they had no welder as they'd been waiting for a new one to arrive.

Once the Cappo's on the road I'll be getting the calipers, brakes,exhaust & timing as well as other stuff for the civic done at last! Once The exhaust's done I should't be scraping it on stuff. :)

• 2 months later...

She runs fine. I mean failed MOT on a sticky handbrake on the O/S/R and number plate lamp bulb! :lol: Not bad considering she's not been MOT'd since 2007!

Tomorrow I'm giving her a basic service. Oil, Filter, Plugs, etc. Need to see about a new set of tyres as dunno how old the current lot are (Considering when the car was last on the road, playing it safe), plenty of tread but tyres generally have a life of 5 years to be used. Also need to get the whole car undersized as well as paint the sills.

Just giving her an easy run for now, just to get everything back smoothly after so long and all. :)

Guest MrLolololXD

To check how old your current tyres are look for the build date on them, it'll look like either of the following

0907 - indicates they were made in the 9th week of 2007

IMAG0103.jpg

Or it could be in a slightly bigger info bubble, 5107, so the 51st week of 2007

Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg

Generally I wouldn't buy new tyres if they've got a build date longer than 2 years ago from the time you purchase them.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to the tyre date, I've looked and also got the tyre fitter at my work to have a look(he said the same thing as you posted) and were both stumped as there's nothing to be found!

I've found another reason for new tyres soon though and it involves roundabout and making use of the RWD. ;)

Anyway some photo's from the Sunday just passed, I was out again with a few friends including Me (As in user with the crazy Green A4) and got some nice pictures of the Coffee! :D (none of these images are took by myself...)

10672194_710458422369419_2850195386643653569_n.jpg?oh=a130f3a3b3b91f4e117f3823960e493b&oe=54D09354&__gda__=1417927404_e34d4b5ace4f6d4435ecf4a9aaa17cef

Friend forgot to watermark, so here's his free advertising...

and

10015054_10203414707063283_8125061696886525796_n.jpg?oh=05cf8e380c7ca197a107cc54a9cd6bc4&oe=54CBE0C2&__gda__=1418072215_d0cd4643541e4e356ad5e2cb1f4e5e93

Taken by Me (the A4 driver), making it to the top of the Glenshee road! Aka best driving road in the UK.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.