We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

Autocar.co.uk reports to have spoken to a source confirming McLaren will introduce a modern-day equivalent of the F1 for 2018. It will be a 3-seater hyper-GT designed to look more like a piece of art and to let its driver travel in style and at 'supreme' speed, while also being more luxurious than any other McLaren. Only 64 would be build (F1 production number) of the car which would currently go by the BP23 project name, referring to Bespoke Project 2 - 3-seater. Ye all vague stuff going on here...

Source: Autocar.co.uk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will there be a 991.2 911 GTS? 911 Targa GTS' are like my fav cars around atm, stunning things. That GT3 doesn't look all that different but I guess we should expect that.

Interesting news on the F1 successor but I don't tend to trust Autocar as a source to be honest, It has every possibility of being accurate but i'm very skeptical about any of their 'rumour' articles like that.

I still think I'd rather have an F-Type or a high specced Cayman instead though.

Corvette Grand Sport pricing: $66,445

Porsche 718 Cayman S pricing: $66,300

Base spec Jaguar F-Type: $61,000

Of course one is much quicker than the other, but to me that doesn't matter.

I'm gonna state the obvious: it very much depends on what car you want and how much of a deal you can haggle at the dealership, really. The three above are very different.

Add min. 10-15 grand to the price of the 718 - no one really wants a base-spec Porsche. For that price, you can get a nicely-equipped 6MT F-Type S.

There's also the $51,790 BMW M2... with two cylinders more than the P-car. :cheeese:

Cayman GT4... that's the dream.

Nah.

LG16TDO-035_1024x768.jpg

Add min. 10-15 grand to the price of the 718 - no one really wants a base-spec Porsche. For that price, you can get a nicely-equipped 6MT F-Type S.

True, but when comparing it to a Corvette I can't imagine you'd need to spend $10-15k to try and get it to Corvette level spec for tech etc? I imagine they're quite evenly matched already?

Where it may come from is anybody's guess but considering multiple sites including GT Spirit are starting to copy the story:

Mercedes-AMG would be making a hypercar. It would first be shown next year to mark AMG's 50th anniversary, hence the R50 model name. It would be a car similar to the Aston Martin RedBull supercar, and get 1300hp out of a 1000hp fourcylinder and the rest out of 2 electric motors. GT Spirit says it will be what the CLK-GTR was back in its days, a top-spec racecar for the road. Low weight, narrow cockpit and lots of carbon fiber should do the job, though it could be counteracted by any Merc safety systems and stuff like rear wheel steering (C112 and AMG GT had this too).

Funny that everybody mentions AutoBild as a source for this, but on their website I couldn't find anything about it. Also keeping in mind the one CEO leading the AMG division multiple times expressed very strong dislikes to supercars/hypercars, this could be a case of ''where there's smoke, Scott left the smoke generator on".

Doubt it will be like a CLK-GTR. It was born to meet FIA regulations, so, it was born a race car, and not a hyper-street-car with impressive figures. The CLK-GTR didn't care about stats and numbers, all it cared was about racing in motorsports.

Doubt it will be like a CLK-GTR. It was born to meet FIA regulations, so, it was born a race car, and not a hyper-street-car with impressive figures. The CLK-GTR didn't care about stats and numbers, all it cared was about racing in motorsports.

Lol I didn't mean 'like a CLK-GTR' that literally, I meant more in terms of position within the line-up. It was a supercar of its day so far above the rest of the offer. Today, they don't have such a car. They have the AMG GT, which is just a GT and made for all-day practicality, and that car gets surpassed soon by the image-setter of the brand (E-Class).

@scott: it would be awesome to see one, but the man who gives silly reasons not to make one happens to be the boss of the division. He thinks they're useless overpriced cars you can't see on the street and therefore have 0 effect on brand exposure/fame. They can't be sold in large quantities (I think they're looking at minimal 10.000 units) and AMG wouldn't have the capacity to make one anyway.

I am skeptical, but I'm skeptical about almost everything... heh.

Until a similar type of car comes out of BMW's plant, I don't think they'll be arsed to do something crazy like a hypercar. And AMG is busy with the GT and other AMG models, I imagine.

roadmap17.jpg

Aaaand they're all about that pickup truck with a Nissan body and Renault diesel engines. :p

True. If a competitor doesn't show up with it, they'll first look at what the Chinese market demands (the reason there's no convertible SUV >yet<). If that won't work, they'll look if Nissan and/or Renault have something in stock, and if that doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

And then I wonder... is that carbon copy X6 so incredibly successful? Is that rebadged Kangoo such a magnificent product? Would a modern day limited edition supercar or hypercar really be so bad for your brand's image? Is anything that won't sell 10.000 units so invisible to the world? I'm sure Bugatti would like to answer those last two questions :p

But what do I know, it's all about the business cases.

Also, here are the 9 last DB9's, they've gone through the bespoke department (see the Q badges) and all seem to have the same paintjob.

aston-martin-db9-last-of-9.jpg

aston-martin-db9-last-of-9.jpg

Isn't motorsport about stats and numbers? In other words: laptimes.

:phil:

No. Definetly not. If you think that fast lap times is enough to win a race, you're wrong. There is much more into it.

Reliability, consistance, economy of tires and fuel, strategy. A good racing car isn't the one that makes the fastest lap times.

Thing is though, a car that is born a racer, is a car that is worried about being good, being great at the track, and not worried about bhp figures.

Take a look at Group B cars, Nissan R390, GT-One street... Great vehicles that it's street version doesn't give a poop about bhp, max speed or how fast it can accelerate. The street version is only there to meet FIA regulations.

No. Definetly not. If you think that fast lap times is enough to win a race, you're wrong. There is much more into it.

Reliability, consistance, economy of tires and fuel, strategy. A good racing car isn't the one that makes the fastest lap times.

Thing is though, a car that is born a racer, is a car that is worried about being good, being great at the track, and not worried about bhp figures.

Take a look at Group B cars, Nissan R390, GT-One street... Great vehicles that it's street version doesn't give a poop about bhp, max speed or how fast it can accelerate. The street version is only there to meet FIA regulations.

:eek: