We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

May 2015: Who will you be voting for?

CarMadMike

Hey,

So the UK General Election will be among us very quickly, it should be taking place at the start of May (the 7th?) 2015.

election_1612427c.jpg

Are you going to vote?

• If so, for who? why?

- Have you always voted for this party? If so, is it about class, family roots, 'i'd never DREAM of voting for those darn ____'?

- Do you live in a fairly safe seat, or in a swing constituency?

- It's more and more likely that it'll be a hung parliament, who would you want to see in a coalition?

• If not, why?

- Do you feel like your constituency's seat is too certain for your vote to make any kind of difference?

- Do you feel too disillusioned with the current politicians?

- Do you simply not care at all and can't be arsed thinking why that might be? :p

Also, What are your main priorities for the next government?

I understand this thread might be boring for most of our international members, but I'm interested in seeing what everyone else is thinking (other than the eugh, politics is boring meh etc).

Take the Political Compass test here!

Thanks,

90107.jpg

Not sure I see the point these days.

The first post asked you to explain why if possible, as I expected these short replies that make any sort of conversation/debate impossible.

I've added the political compass test link to the first post though, might be of help to some.

I really don't follow politics. It's only thanks to The West Wing, House of Cards and The Thick Of It that I've actually been able to pick up some things. However, nationally I don't think there's any point in voting, and I don't plan to, because no one party can make everyone happy (nor two, as we've discovered), and out of the choices we have there's really no party doing anything that makes me want to support them. But as I said I took that test and it turns out I agree with mostly Labour's policies. I think my dad considered kicking me out of the house.

Locally there's only one party I'm interested in, they want equality for all sexes and all sexual orientations. They also want to stop the catholic/protestant divide that continues here (yes, believe it or not in 2015 it still matters to some people here if you class yourself as "protestant" or "catholic", regardless if you actually believe in God or not). However I'm probably not going to vote (I don't even know when, how or where to vote) for them because there's also no point. They don't have a following yet, they're a niche that no-one really takes seriously. Think UKIP before they gained following (those were better days..).

I did that compass thing and I should vote for Gandhi. Or if he's not available, the green party.

Although in all likelihood I won't be voting this year but if I did it would actually be the greens because they talk the least crap out of everyone(maybe I'm wrong *shrug*) or Labour mainly so the conservatives don't get back in and they appear to be the only party that has a chance in my constituency because the lib dems are nowhere.

My main reason for not wanting to vote and being almost completely disinterested in politics is because of the house of commons. They're worse than a bunch of kids in a primary school playground and they are the people running and shaping the future of our country. It's shameful.

Just imagine if Labour had someone who isn't a babbling idiot(pictured above) leading the party. They'd be guaranteed to win the election because they seem about on par with the Conservatives even with a man who can't eat a sandwich properly.

My main reason for not wanting to vote and being almost completely disinterested in politics is because of the house of commons. They're worse than a bunch of kids in a primary school playground and they are the people running and shaping the future of our country. It's shameful.

That is also an excellent point.

I really don't follow politics. It's only thanks to The West Wing, House of Cards and The Thick Of It that I've actually been able to pick up some things. However, nationally I don't think there's any point in voting, and I don't plan to, because no one party can make everyone happy (nor two, as we've discovered), and out of the choices we have there's really no party doing anything that makes me want to support them. But as I said I took that test and it turns out I agree with mostly Labour's policies. I think my dad considered kicking me out of the house.

Locally there's only one party I'm interested in, they want equality for all sexes and all sexual orientations. They also want to stop the catholic/protestant divide that continues here (yes, believe it or not in 2015 it still matters to some people here if you class yourself as "protestant" or "catholic", regardless if you actually believe in God or not). However I'm probably not going to vote (I don't even know when, how or where to vote) for them because there's also no point. They don't have a following yet, they're a niche that no-one really takes seriously. Think UKIP before they gained following (those were better days..).

As much as I understand why some people don't vote, I just think it comes down to a 'oh you didn't vote? what are you moaning about then!' kind of thing. As the amount of people that don't vote for your reason, voting together could make a big impact for example.

If national politics don't interest you, have a look into all the candidates standing in your area and perhaps even vote for the least evil person out of them all because that's more likely to impact you than if you vote with milligromit and camerahn in mind.

Anyone but Green Party!

Why? I'm not saying I disagree, just interested in your reasons as to why!

--- Post Updated ---

Just imagine if Labour had someone who isn't a babbling idiot(pictured above) leading the party. They'd be guaranteed to win the election because they seem about on par with the Conservatives even with a man who can't eat a sandwich properly.

Yup, everyone can see that they'd be certain of a majority if they weren't being lead by the person who stabbed his brother in the back. But then again a lot of the issues with Ed tend to be either aesthetically or just his personality, not much to do with his political stance or abilities. Though at the same time, could you imagine him sat at a table with Putin? It's laughable.

Though they're on par/slightly ahead of the conservatives I think that's quite good going for the Tories as it's quite often the party in power is much lower, especially one that has put in a fair amount of austerity measures.

Yup, everyone can see that they'd be certain of a majority if they weren't being lead by the person who stabbed his brother in the back. But then again a lot of the issues with Ed tend to be either aesthetically or just his personality, not much to do with his political stance or abilities. Though at the same time, could you imagine him sat at a table with Putin? It's laughable.

"I'm going to be invading Poland now"

"Oh.. erm... uh okay then. More tea?"

Edit: to be fair to Cameron at least he's not afraid to call someone an idiot. And he's not Gordon Brown. Or Tony Blair.

Pretty certain I'll be voting Tory this time.

I do like that Labour put more into public funding and other such issues... but last time they were in power they nearly bankrupt the country with their borrowing.

I don't think any government is going to be able to solve the corruption amongst the super rich companies and people because they always get paid off, but i believe the tories have better financial policies (overall).

People in the UK always complain about the Polish (foreigners) taking all the jobs, but not many actually get off their backsides and are willing to work. There are jobs out there but some aren't that exciting or well paid.

Greens have some good ideas- but as ever everything else is rubbish.

UKIP are just a bunch of bigoted idiots who'll have us at war with Europe and the US if they get any power.

...blah blah blah.

Bring Back Clarkson.

I don't think any government is going to be able to solve the corruption amongst the super rich companies and people because they always get paid off, but i believe the tories have better financial policies (overall).

Yup, all it takes is to look at the countries which went the opposite way to us when we took the austerity route and the situation they currently find themselves in *cough*France*Cough* to realise that this government haven't completely screwed up the economy. I'll be voting for the Tories too.

I'm crossed here...

Do I vote for who I want in the hope they win & represent my area.

Or do I vote Lib-Dem's so hopefully they keep there seat and stop Kim-Un-Salmond & the yeSNP gaining a seat in parliament. (He's there candidate for Grampian area)

Yes, I would honestly vote for someone for that reason alone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes you might have to vote for someone because of what they won't/don't do, rather than what they will do.

As Miliband has promised to axe 'zero hour' contracts so I'll not be voting for him or I'll be out of a job.

Instead of destroying something maybe he could consider improving it. My contract suits me and my employer just fine... but there are others (Sports Direct et al) that exploit it.

I took the test and I was placed just inside the green quarter, any small amount of movement right or up and I would've practically been in the middle :p

Regardless of how the Greens ideas seems to tie in with what I think in some places on a national level, I am probably not going to vote. Looking at the Greens policies for the local area there are only two policies which would put me in their favour and that is their plan to bring back more industrial work to the area and to also stop the untouched natural areas around us being sold off and potentially destroyed. As far as I remember the local area has been sticking with Conservative since 2005 - I'd be surprised in a change of MP here.

Quite honestly I trust none of the parties to keep their promises once they've been voted in, I never have done and probably never will. I've seen very little change in the local area while the current MP has been in place, infact the area has got worse. I remember when I was still in a push-chair and my nan used to go shopping where she lives now, she would go in to almost every shop on the high street because they all had something unique to offer - it would take hours to do a shopping trip in a town that I could quite comfortably walk the length of in ten minutes. I wouldn't be voting Conservative if I was voting, they've had ten years of saying that they would help bring more businesses and jobs to the local area amongst other ideas that sounded good, but we haven't got those and there is very little else to show their efforts unless pound-shops and take-a-ways count. Quite frankly we've got sod all now.